New PRS 7 String: "SE SVN"

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by SDMFVan, Nov 7, 2017.

1. exo

exo SS.org Regular

Yup. Never been unhappy with my Epi LPC7, and there's some gorgeous SE24-7s out there from the last run that will serve me just fine if I get gas for one.

Hope every one else is happy with the new model, show I'd be a big hit here I'd think......

AkiraSpectrum likes this.
  2. JohnIce

JohnIce Singlecoils = tr00

This is incredibly tempting! I was coffee-spittingly excited when the PRS site said it had a tremolo, but sadly that seems to have been a typo and they've changed the description since. Either way I'll do my best to try one out. My old Cu22 is still the best guitar I've ever had and as a 7-string player it bugs me that I'm not playing PRS anymore.

ThePhilosopher likes this.
  3. JSanta

JSanta SS.org Regular

I think that's where a huge hole exists for the company right now. Why isn't a core seven offered, or even a CE24-7?

4. AliceLG

AliceLG \m/^_^\m/

If there's a spalted maple limited edition on Thomann anytime soon I'mma lose my shit ... and about 1000€ probably :lol:

KnightBrolaire and Anquished like this.
  5. JohnIce

JohnIce Singlecoils = tr00

Indeed, it's a little odd given PRS' huge popularity in the heavy rock scene. Quite a few of their big endorsers tune to B or even lower.

JSanta, cardinal and Anquished like this.
  6. Anquished

Anquished hhnice!

Was it you that had the neck conversion on their SE-7?

7. cardinal

cardinal SS.org Regular

I had convinced myself it was happening last year, particularly because Tremonti was going around with a Single Cut 7. But obviously not. Maybe this year.

Anquished and AkiraSpectrum like this.
  8. jephjacques

jephjacques BUTTS LOL

it took them like 20 years to offer Floyd Rose bridges, this is basically par for the course with them

9. AkiraSpectrum

AkiraSpectrum SS.org Regular

My guess would be that if PRS is going to do a production USA 7 it would be a CE-24-7, so that the price is more in a 'reasonable' range for herd. An S2 is possible but I just don't see it.
    The big question would be what pickups would they use? They would need to develop 7-string versions of their 85/15's, or would have to use some Duncan's.
    They could use these new 85/15 -7's "S" (Korean made by G&B) but then that ruins the differentiation in part between the S2 line and CE line (CE has American pickups)...... blah blah blah conjecture, conjecture, conjecture..... :p:D:p

I wonder if an artist 7 (likely Mark Holcomb) would be easier, that way it more easily justifies their use of Seymour Duncan pickups in a production run.

10. JSanta

JSanta SS.org Regular

That had more to do with an endorser versus length of time though. Paul believes(ed) that his bridge is superior for his instruments, and honestly, the PRS trem is fantastic.

11. cardinal

cardinal SS.org Regular

I'm just guessing, really, but I don't think the pickups will be a road block if the rest of the guitar were given a green light. It's not like they need to reinvent the wheel to do it. They've done at least a few private stock 7-strings with their own pickups.

I have no idea if they subcontract the manufacture of the PRS-brand 6-string pickups, but even if they did, 7-string pickups seem common enough that I assume any competent sub-contractor could make them no problem if PRS gives them the specs.

I keep assuming there will be a Maryland-made 7-string PRS soon, but at this point it might be an extended scale, hardtail guitar that really isn't what you'd think of as a PRS other than the shape. But that's probably what will sell, I guess.

12. AkiraSpectrum

Interesting thoughts. I remember seeing something a while back from a PRS employee saying they didn't want to spend the time on designing 7-string versions of their pickups so they just use other manufacturers pickups for their 7-strings (their default is Seymour Duncan). Of course, this was a few years ago so anything could have happened from then till now.

Do you know whose PRS Private Stock 7's have American PRS pickups in them? I've never seen any myself.

13. JSanta

JSanta SS.org Regular

In terms of the PRS branded pickups for the US models, those are made in-house. Looking at a couple of the PS 7 strings, they have both used other brands and made their own, so we could speculate that they at least have the ability to make them for a production run. I'd love to see one happen.

14. cardinal

cardinal SS.org Regular

The one with the Spitz headstock seems to have them. But looking around, it does seem that many use after-market pickups. That's kinda interesting. I wonder what's in Tremonti's guitar.

15. AkiraSpectrum

16. cardinal

cardinal SS.org Regular

17. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire 8 string hoarder

18. jwade

jwade Doooooooooom

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Pretty sure I need the gray black one. I dug my old SE7, but it made no sense to have a 25" 7 when I already had my RG7621 and then built my 24.625" SG 7. This new model is a really smart move.

19. Triple-J

Triple-J the Experimetalist

the rain soaked post industrial wasteland known as
    Quick heads up for all the UK/Euro folk Andertons in the UK have all the new models listed and the SVN is going for £825.

AliceLG and Anquished like this.
  20. destroy all you love

destroy all you love SS.org Regular

Has anyone been able to pre order yet? I've yet to call my store.