New Pickup Day - L500XL

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by mnemonic, Jun 4, 2018.

1. mnemonic

mnemonic Custom User Title

I bought a used Bill Lawrence USA L500XL on eBay, out of a 1997 Washburn Nuno sig, which arrived today, just got it installed in my parts strat. Replacing a SD ‘59. Nothing wrong with the ‘59 (its a really good pickup) I just felt like something different.

The pickup ring is slanted though so I had to make some shims to fit under one side of it. It fits nice and flush now.

Wowee, this is one heavy as hell pickup! It really reminds me a lot of dimebag as it has a scooped mid characteristic, is tight as hell, and is very sharp on the top end. I was a bit worried it wound sound overly thin, however it actually has a pretty big bottom end. Yet that bottom end is very tight and percussive.

I can definitely see how people would say it’s fizzy or harsh, it is pretty harsh, but in a good way in my opinion. For what it’s worth I have a 500k volume and no tone knob.

Physically it’s a very thick pickup, I think you’d have issues trying to fit one in something with shallow routes like an Ibanez. It only barely fit in this guitar.

The DC resistance is 11.69k (not that it’s a great way to determine output) but I think it’s hotter and sharper sounding than my Lundgren M7.

It’s a real beast of a pickup, I guess I shouldn’t be surprised.

Now I wish I could get a 7 string pickup like this, I bet it would kill in my mahogany Mayones. Maybe I’ll just get some heavy strings and tune this guitar down.

B529A56A-E81A-4EEC-9513-57AEF7A2D30B.jpeg

I’m gonna go play Pantera riffs now. :dime:

0rimus, IGC, Shask and 4 others like this.
  2. steinmetzify

steinmetzify CHUG & SLUDGE

Nice man. They get a lot of flak, I think it’s pretty guitar dependent. I REALLY don’t like them in MLs or LPs, just because that low end is pretty pronounced in a big mahogany guitar and it makes the high end stand out a ton when I try to EQ it to fit me.

I dig em in almost everything else though lol

HNPD!

3. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

One of the biggest shames ever is that this isn't available as a 7-string pickup. It would work perfect in ERGs with the slightly scooped midrange and the bright, clear sound.

0rimus likes this.
  4. bnzboy

bnzboy Asian Dying

man I was thinking about ordering this one the other night and put it in my fedner jim strat. I have Custom 5 that I want to replace it with another pickup to try different tones.

5. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire baritone zone

HNPD
    I picked up a BLUSA L500XL a couple weeks ago too, just have to get around to installing/demoing it.

6. mnemonic

Thanks guys. I can’t stop playing gallopy thrash riffs, sounds so good and tight and punchy with this pickup.

With some amps the huge amount of high end can be too much and it takes on a single coil-like tone in a way. But just cutting some treble with an EQ or something tends to take care of it.

Now I’m back on pickup swaps, I finally did a magnet swap on the JB-7 I’ve had lying around. I stuck a ceramic magnet in that was about twice as thick as the alnico 5 I took out, really punchy and heavy sounding.

I put it in my Mayones Setius, replacing the SH5 Custom, which is a great pickup but too much bottom end and not tight enough for this guitar, as it is quite bassy and full sounding.

The ceramic JB (Distortion?) is tighter and more aggressive for sure. Unfortunately I did make it incredibly microphonic, however. I guess the next thing on my shopping list will be parafin wax.

7. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

You convinced me to get one of these again. :lol: I emailed Becky asking if these can fit in a P90 route to put into my PRS SE 277 Soapbar.

8. mnemonic

I was messing around earlier playing some BLS riffs, for which this pickup is certainly not ideal, but on a whim I cranked up the drive on my tubescreamer to about half way, it was really cool, added that saturated grindyness but since the pickup is so clear and punchy, it retained more clarity than I expected with those settings.

There are some real cool sludgy, yet clear and punchy tones to be had with this pickup. It sure is fun to have something so different from all my other guitars.

The906 likes this.
  9. Shask

Shask SS.org Regular

You are kind of making me want to try one again also, lol. I don't think I have heard one in 15 years.

I have kinda been going back into an active kick though with Fishman.