New Morbid Angel album coming in December

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by Durtal, Oct 6, 2017.

1. DiezelMonster

DiezelMonster Complainasaurus Rex

This record did not disappoint!

I'm sure this is an unpopular opinion but I REALLY like Declaring new law, Steve's voice on that song is incredible, just a fucking demon.

takotakumi and AdamMaz like this.
  2. DiezelMonster

They even have similarities in their logo! I do like it though haha!

AdamMaz likes this.
  3. fps

fps Kit

First listen, love what I'm hearing in terms of how much there is to digest.

But I am SICK of tinny computerised over-produced metal. Why are my ears being smashed by a hi-hat for god's sakes. Production on older records like D and G SO much better because you leant in to the murk to listen more, you could hear the guitars, you could feel the band. This though, this is a drum solo with backing, I hate the studio processing and compressing and equalizing and whatever else has been done to put shiny shiny smashy smashy drums right up the front of this mix.

4. Bdtunn

Bdtunn SS.org Regular

I really dig the sound of this one!

5. silverabyss

silverabyss J. Custom taste, Gio budget Contributor

I agree that the material is good but the production is not that good. Missing that wet murky reverb vibe

takotakumi and AdamMaz like this.
  6. dimebagfan01

dimebagfan01 Crunch Berry

Been listening to it for a few days now and while I feel that the music is some of the strongest in MA's catalog, the production is extremely underwhelming. I agree with the above comments that the drums are too high in the mix though I think it just adds to the whole mix being kind of...off. Nothing is really cohesive in the mix, tonally and level-wise, so everything sounds unfinished to me. Musically, though, the riffs are killer and they weren't lying when they said this new record would be pure death metal. I'll definitely be spinning this one for a while.

7. Scud7011

Scud7011 SS.org Regular

I find it amazing that someone could, in the very same breath, call this album "over-produced" and then use Domination and Gateways as examples of albums that AREN'T "over-produced". That's easily the most ironic thing I've read in a long time. Of all the albums you could have used, you went for 2 of the most sterile albums MA has done.

I have noticed one peculiar thing about the mix. Rutan mixed the drums from a viewer's perspective, so the hats are on the right and the ride is on the left. I feel like I never hear that anymore.

8. fps

fps Kit

Not really. Those albums might be the most overproduced ones MA have done, but that doesn't mean they hit my own criteria for *overproduced*. Additionally, this one is far more overproduced than either of those, which I enjoy the production of, and that's the point I'm making.

9. AdamMaz

AdamMaz SS.org Regular

I'd have to agree about the unsettling production. The album is really good musically, but there the drums sound far too clean to be that high in the mix, takes too much of the focus and distracts from those low riffs.

fps and MAJ Meadows SF like this.
  10. MAJ Meadows SF

MAJ Meadows SF on a tone quest

So one way or another we all agree the production is not pleasing. I can stand it, but I agree the drums are too crisp and up front overall, and the guitars lack that dank, murky tone we are used to. I for one don't mind it all that much, but it is distracting at first. I really have settled into this record while working out, absorbing nuances while being primal. The guitars are absolutely crushing. They almost sound akin to Hate Eternal sounds, and even some of the riffing on a couple tracks borrow from both swirling tremolo riffs and big thematic phrases we've all heard on MA's Altars of Madness and HE's King of All Kings. I absolutely love it. Being a colossal MA fan I cannot yet say where this record will fall in their catalogue but it definitely is strong. I am fanboy pleased after the last record and "holier than thou" attitude Mr. Vincent took on tour the last couple years (asking $5 for a phvcking Dunlop pick with your name on it? FU I found one on the floor). It's clear Steve is stoked to be back, and Trey said it was going to be death metal and acid trip weirdness and they definitely delivered. Of all the amazing releases this year this one meant the most, even over Decrepit Birth, and I am very happy with it.

sirbuh, fps and AdamMaz like this.
  11. fps

fps Kit

Exactly, it doesn't complement Trey's guitar tones, which are usually quite an organic and dynamic affair.

MAJ Meadows SF likes this.
  12. fps

fps Kit

I'm looking forward to listening on a few different systems. There is definitely a lot to explore here.

MAJ Meadows SF likes this.
  13. fps

fps Kit

Upon further listens, on better systems, this record is awesome.

14. MFB

MFB ExBendable

Listened to this yesterday, it is indeed, "the goods"

15. DiezelMonster

I have no problem with the production, I've been around since the release of Domination, got it the day it came out and every record since then have been nothing but complaints from "fans".
    Domination was too "clean" Formulas was too "muddy" Gateways was too "modern" Heretic was too "thin and the drums suck" and so on. Of course you guys can have your opinions but with all the complaints about the band why even be a fan of them? hahaha

Nothing to see here.

I listen on a home stereo system or in my car, This isn't meant to listen on your phone speaker.

16. MAJ Meadows SF

MAJ Meadows SF on a tone quest

One thing for sure is it's not as brutal and muffled as Hate Eternal's "Fury & Flames". Talk about overkill and a mess.

DiezelMonster likes this.
  17. Rosal76

Rosal76 SS.org Regular

Being that it's already December, I believe this album is going to be album of the year for me. Unless Muhammed Suicmez performs a miracle and releases a new Necrophagist album before the year is out. LOL!

And for the sake of discussion...

Although, I have been a Morbid angel fan since the early 1990's, I would have never imagined that I would like a new M.A. album more than a new Cannibal corpse and/or Suffocation album, who also released new albums this year. First off, I didn't think in a million years that I would like a new Suffocation album more than a new C.C. album. But then it happened. Second, I didn't think in 2 million years, that I would like a new Suffocation and/or Cannibal album more than a new M.A. album. And then that happened. And don't get me wrong, I absolutely love the new Cannibal and Suffocation albums but the M.A. album came out like underdog, Rocky Balboa and won. I think one of the things that stood out for me about the new album besides the riffs is how Steve Tucker phrases some of the lyrics he sings. One of the very few times where the style of singing brings more enjoyment to the songs. For me at least.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
    MAJ Meadows SF, fps and Durtal like this.
  18. Herrick

Herrick Hello Mangs

Musically it's good. It's Morbid Angel. However the drums are too loud and the riffs become indiscernible to my ears mostly in the faster sections. Ah well.

19. InHiding

InHiding SS.org Regular

The drums are way too loud. Someone was probably overthinking this. Basically ruins the experience for me (unfortunately).

20. fps

fps Kit

I agree as my expectations/ hopes were more of an F/G production, but keep at it and try a few different systems/ headphones because the vibe of the record is, of course, constructed partly by the production. And it's a really great record, I think it's one of Trey's best guitar tones actually, but the whole thing does seem to push certain frequencies in all instruments.