New long song. Mix-critique very welcome

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by Martis93, Aug 13, 2015.

1. Martis93

Martis93 SS.org Regular

Hey guys, long time no post. Finally finished this one. I plan to release an album about a year from now, so any advice I can get on mixing would be awesome. Maybe you'll notice something I didn't!

As for the song, I had a science-fiction story in mind - it's about someone who wakes up and realises they're in captivity, and breaks free. The rest is that thing/person discovering the beauty of nature (underground facilities are far from civilisation). I usually write without a story in mind, but this was a lot of fun. :)

[SC]https://soundcloud.com/martynaseidukevicius/the-escape-feat-ieva-inmoon[/SC]

2. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

I really like the bit that starts around 4 minutes in. :agreed:

3. Warlus_Of_Doom

Warlus_Of_Doom SS.org Regular

I like your unique style!

The acoustic guitars sound too loud to me, especially when double-tracked. They also could use some equalization for that low-mid booming. All-in-all, check your levels :) Otherwise I thought the mix was pretty solid! The drums sound great.

Personally i felt that the more ambient parts of the song should sound more spacey with more prominent reverb and delay effects. That would also bring a nice contrast to the jazzy parts (like the guitar solo part) that would sound much dryer.

4. Martis93

Martis93 SS.org Regular

Thank you guys for your input!

Warlus - I don't know, to me the acoustic guitars sounded as loud as they should be when I mixed them, as they are the main harmonic instrument in this song, but I see what you're saying. As an instrument that doesn't pack a lot of energy, maybe they should be a bit more quiet. I will try that next time. This was the first time I had to deal with a lot of acoustic guitar, so it was both learning to record it properly and also mix it. :)
    Which ambient parts exactly are you talking about? Do you mean the reverb level should've been higher?

5. Warlus_Of_Doom

Warlus_Of_Doom SS.org Regular

My reason for thinking the acoustic guitars are too loud is, that they could be lower without losing the listeners focus. Currently I feel like the guitars interfere with everything else in the mix a little too much. Perhaps the issue is more about the booming low-mids.

By "ambient parts" I meant something like 0:00-3:57, 4:45-5:32, 6:55-->

But I don't think it all should sound very spacey, just maybe some more "wetness" to the sound. Maybe try putting some stereo-delay on the synths or something.

Another thing I came up with: You could try putting a dual-mono compressor on the bus where the acoustics are routed to. That would help keeping them even in stereo. And maybe tame the dynamics a bit along the way.

But anyway, I'm just training my own ears by coming up with these points, so feel free to ignore them if you disagree :)

6. Ruins

Ruins SS.org Regular

my post has nothing productive to mention, i can't jusdge the mix as i am listening through Laptop speakers.
    However, the concept - story and the way you wrote it really cool and i like it so it is :yesway:

7. asleepinthestarsmusic

asleepinthestarsmusic SS.org Regular

Everything about this is flawless. I'm surprised you're even asking for mix advice because you obviously know what you're doing

8. Martis93

Martis93 SS.org Regular

Warlus - I can totally see what you're saying now. Listened to some instrumental artists to compare, and the guitars there aren't very loud. There is a delay on that string-like instrument during the main theme, but I suppose the delay's level could be louder. Thanks for your detailed input!:)

Ruins - Thank you! Saying something positive inspires productivity. :)

asleepinthestarsmusic - Thanks so much! When I was working on the mix, this song was replayed so many times that it is hard for me to appreciate it at the moment. Your words are definitely encouraging.

9. Descent

Descent SS.org Regular

Not my genre, but I like the mix and the parts seem to flow well.
    Love the femme vocals. Maybe it could use a bit more prominent bass line, something more virtuostic in places to make it a bit more interesting around the 3:20-3:40 mark.
    Great drumming!

10. Martis93

Martis93 SS.org Regular

Descent - Thank you. I see what you mean about the bassline, maybe one or two short, quick licks wouldn't hurt. Glad you liked the mix, thanks for your input!