New Line 6 Product - Helix

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by demorior, Jun 11, 2015.

1. mikah912

mikah912 SS.org Regular

Threw together some a very AiC/Cantrell-sounding tone and song snippet. This is all default Helix sounds. No third party IRs. Free preset up at Customtone too, if you want it:

https://soundcloud.com/guitdemoson/canter-mix

PBGas and cyb like this.
  2. fremen

fremen SS.org Regular

Here's a few videos of my Tribute to Pink Floyd band. The rhythm guitar/singer uses my Variax & Helix. I just added those presets as a bonus in my "Big pack", and my Variax bundle too

3. Petef2007

Petef2007 SS.org Regular

Hi guys, joining the family as a new Helix board owner.

Anyone got any advice in dialing in a basic 5150 mid 2000s as i lay dying esque metalcore patch? I've got some 3 sigma audio impulses for Orange V30 cabs to go with it.

Mathemagician likes this.
  4. Chris O

Chris O Not The Dude...

Just started diving into my Helix LT a couple days ago. Sold off my AX8 and my AmpliFire 3. Love what I'm hearing already!

AkiraSpectrum likes this.
  5. AkiraSpectrum

AkiraSpectrum SS.org Regular

wow, that's surprising that you'd sell your AX8, is it because the Helix is much easier to achieve tones with or?

6. DropTheSun

DropTheSun SS.org Regular

I sold my AX8 as well and got Helix LT. For me the interface, tones, easy tweaking and more power to run reverbs and delays was the main reasons. Oh, and Helix LT is much cheaper as well.

Some tones i've got together:
    Fender Tweed
    https://soundcloud.com/mediumplayer/helix-fender-tweed-and-lrs-alnico-blue-2

Fender Deluxe and Tweed
    https://soundcloud.com/mediumplayer/helix-fender-deluxe-touch-sensitive-reverbs

Dual Recto
    https://soundcloud.com/mediumplayer/helix-mesa-dual-rectifier

PRS Archon
    https://soundcloud.com/mediumplayer/helix-prs-archon-metal

7. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

What's the easiest way for me to update the helix, just plug the USB directly into my computer? Any drivers I need to install first?

Also, I guess I'm done buying amp gear. I finally set everything up with my rack helix at home and good god it sounds so good. Even with the stock cabs. I'll have to figure out how to load IR's, but I'm REALLY not sweating it at the moment.

It's perfect for someone like me. I wanted great high gain tones and some great clean channels. Done. All the extra effects/sounds are like having a toy chest I can go into whenever I'm bored. It's great.

Super intuitive too, just like everyone says it is.

mikah912 likes this.
  8. Lemonbaby

Lemonbaby SS.org Regular

Go to Line6's support page and download the Helix SW-package which also contains the drivers needed.

9. Meeotch

Meeotch SS.org Regular

Hey guys, I'd love to know what FRFR setups you are using with the Helix for live performances? At the moment I'm torn between staying in brand with the L3t or going for an Atomic CLR. Certainly there are many options out there, so I'd appreciate your preferences!

10. btbamthewell

btbamthewell SS.org Regular

Hey guys,

I have the POD HD500 and love it but sometimes run into processing limits and find it very tough to dial in good sounding tones (I know full well this is my own issue, as I've heard demos with awesome tones).

Before I sell the HD 500 for Helix I would like to know if anyone has tips/guidance on how the Helix is for post-rock (sweet cleans, lush reverbs and delays upon delays)?
    Also if it is an easier unit to manage for dialing in good sounding tones.

11. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

I had a PodHD bean (the last model before they were discontinued). I used it once for a few hours and just really didn't enjoy it - it sounded like a suped up version of my old Line 6 Spider amp.

The Helix is several levels in tonal quality/fidelity above the HD series. And it's very easy to dial stuff in. If you want to see how the pieces work just pick a preset and start messing with settings then just don't save it. Just my $0.02 I wasn't a Pod power user by any means. It sounded too "hissy" and the UI was awful.

12. that short guy

that short guy SS.org Regular

Anyone have a high gain lead patch they don't mind sharing? Or at the least an Idea of what to do? I've had hell trying to dial in one that can cut through the mix of rhythms I use (5150 and Mark IV) and right now I'm using the SLO model for the lead but it's not cutting like I want.

Here's a demo I worked up so you can get an Idea

https://soundcloud.com/i_get_bored/trying-somehting-out

13. Dineley

Dineley SS.org Regular

Try the Archon or the Line 6 2204 Mod, those are my go to, with the right tweaks they both are fantastic.

PBGas likes this.
  14. BubbleWrap

BubbleWrap SS.org Regular

I had a pod hd500x and a few amps before upgrading to only the helix and also play a fair amount of post-rock. The helix handles it exceptionally well, tones from pristine cleans to heavily distorted are wonderful, and I rarely hit the DSP limit. I have a few presets running two separate paths: clean and distorted guitar or guitar and bass amps with the bass path detuned an octave, running out of completely separate powered speakers. Reverbs and delays are very nice and versatile. You may have to stack a few of them to achieve the desired sound if it’s really spacey. I can send you some presets if you get one.

Send me your email address in a pm and I’ll send you my favorite presets.

From your sample, it sounds like you need to do some high & low cutting and EQ the rhythm and lead tones to separate them a bit more (pre or post) Your rhythm preset sounds a bit fat for being in a mix with a lead. I’m sure it’s awesome for just jamming, but it could use a bit of thinning for the intended purpose.

15. alekosh

alekosh SS.org Regular

Hello everyone. Just upgraded to helix from pod hd500. Tone quality much improved. Quick question though. My spdif levels are way down from the hd500. Am i doing something wrong or thats the way it supposed to be to avoid clipping etc?

16. that short guy

That's kinda weird but how much lower are you talking about. Like if you dime the volume on the amp is it still very quiet or just quieter than what your POD was

17. alekosh

alekosh SS.org Regular

Thanks for the reply. Much lower than my pod was. I set the volume knob of the helix all the way and full spdif level in daw and still cannot jam with computer music. I havent mess with patch amp levels

18. that short guy

I had to readjust the playback volume in my daw with this last firmware update to about 85% of what it's default was. I think there was something in the last update that tweaked the globals