New Line 6 Product - Helix

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by demorior, Jun 11, 2015.

1. Digital Igloo

Digital Igloo Line 6

It's a direct download so I assume (don't quote me) that your price is determined by your currency's rate vs. USD.

2. that short guy

that short guy SS.org Regular

Hey digital igloo, any more news on the new firmware update? Still most likely going to drop in February or are we most likely looking at March?

3. Digital Igloo

Digital Igloo Line 6

We're still on schedule but it's gonna be tight. Just in case we don't make it, we've added an all new multiband compressor model to placate the masses.

4. that short guy

That's great news. You guys are doing great. Thanks man

5. that short guy

Hey has anyone else had an issue like I'm having now?

The selector/toggle knob that you use to select or move amps and affects randomly started malfunctioning. It still turns and moves but when you press it down it won't select anything.

I already reinstalled the latest firmware, did a global reset and still no luck.

If anyone else has had this issue what did you do to remedy it.

6. Blasphemer

Blasphemer Bird Law expert

I had a similar, but opposite issue. My joystick would still push down and in all 4 directions, but wouldn't scroll. Unfortunately, I had to send it in to L6 for repair. The good news the turnaround time was less than a week

7. that short guy

That's good and not got good to hear lol.

How difficult was the process of sending it in?

8. Blasphemer

Blasphemer Bird Law expert

Very easy. Opened a support ticket on the L6 website and it was very step by step from there. If your Helix is out of the warranty date, though, you may have to pay for the repair. I can't really say for sure.

9. that short guy

It should still be in the warranty window. I submitted the ticket 2 days ago but haven't heard anything back yet. The website did say allow 3 business days so we'll see how it goes

Just incase I did find a authorized repair shop in my area so even if it's not covered by the warranty there's at least a guy in my area that should be able to fix it

10. tupesaku

tupesaku SS.org Regular

Hey, quick question...sorry if this has been talked about already :)

Anyway, I'm using my Helix rack with Matrix GT800FX power amp and I'm really liking it...I currently use it with only preamp models. Are some using the power amp modelling also? Does it make a huge difference?

I'm gonna try it my self next week but just wanted to ask if people have any experience with this, and which do people tend to prefer?

Thanks!

11. GunpointMetal

GunpointMetal SS.org Regular

When I was using it into a real cab, I would use the "full" models for clean/mid-gain/light crunch stuff, as it seemed to give it some extra dimension, but with my heavy tones I was using the PRE models because it felt tighter.

12. that short guy

Well I sent my helix off to L6 today, fingers crossed for a fast turn around time

13. Petef2007

Petef2007 SS.org Regular

Hi guys, I thought i'd ask this here instead of starting a new thread for it.

Basically, i'm curious as to which would be the better investment, a Helix or a used Axe FX ultra. I'll be running it in 4CM with a laney IRT studio, and I have an interface to connect monitors/headphones for, so basically it'll be the centerpiece hardware of a working home studio.

I've heard that the modelling on the axe is better, but the helix plus impulses is basically a BMW to the Axe's Mercedes - amazing, just different. A used Axe Ultra would run me about £900 plus the midi board, a Helix rack setup would come in at about £1400 ish.

I'll be using impulses within the unit, as that was the only way I made the POD sound tolerable, and i've heard fantastic things about the helix + impulses.

For the most part, i'll be keeping things fairly simple - amp sim, impulse, couple of individual effects. I think the most complex patches will be stuff like Iron Maiden's Somewhere In Time tone, with multiple FX going off at once, or some of the more ambient stuff you hear on youtube where it's literally just reverby, washy delay things.

There also exists the possibility of either unit just being FX only, as the IRT sounds pretty magnificent on its own. I figure it would just be nice to have the amp sims and not need them, rather than want to try them and not have any available.

Basically what my question boils down to is, would I be able to nail tones ranging from 80s Maiden, Ozzy and early thrash to 90's Death and thrash, all the way up to modern death and core styles, and 8 string chuggyness with the Helix? And would it outperform an Axe FX Ultra, being a newer and more supported product? Or is there stuff in the Axe that the Helix still can't do?

14. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

If you were asking about an Axe II or the Helix I would say Axe.

but given the choices are Ultra or Helix, I would say Helix. Get the floor one etc. Job done.

15. SubConArtist

SubConArtist New Member

If Helix Native on the compuer can be controlled by the Helix rack floorboard, then, that's all you'll ever need. And all line 6 will ever ever ever ever ever ever ever have to do do do do do do do is upgrade the software software software software software software software software software. That will mave you soney, then bou'll ye fappy. KTHXBYE

16. Mr_Marty

Mr_Marty New Member

If you just need effects the FX-8 is a better solution for what you want to do.

17. that short guy

The new firmware is up. I only had time to download it before I went back to work so I couldn't mess with it but at least it's out

18. metal_sam14

metal_sam14 Tard

Firmware 2.20 is amazing, they absolutely nailed the Darkglass B7K model. I did a quick video with it:

19. UltimaWeapon

UltimaWeapon yolo-swag-3000

20. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

If it's the same physical quality and just a smaller unit, damn. Nice!