New John Mayer Paul Reed Strat signature?

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by Zado, Apr 10, 2017.

1. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

I just realized the bridge doesn't look like a PRS bridge, either. Looks like a standard Strat bridge.

2. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Yeah, it's not bad.

It's right there with other high end Strats.

3. MatthewK

MatthewK SS.org Regular

7.25" radius is interesting. I'm sure it'll sell well, he seems to have some hardcore guitar playing fans somehow. I missed that boat. The only song of his I can think of is "Your Body is a Wonderland". Can't be worse than Bonamassa.

4. MaxOfMetal

He always liked the 50's Strats, which had the 7.25" radius. I think his Fender sig had 9.5" though.

5. JSanta

JSanta SS.org Regular

His sig did have the 9.5" radius.

I like PRS a lot. I like Fender a lot. I like John Mayer a lot too. I just feel like this is lazy design. That's my main exception with this guitar.

6. MaxOfMetal

I don't think it's lazy as much as Mayer raising a big middle finger to Fender, who he didn't exactly leave on good terms with if I remember correctly.

I'm just a little surprised that PRS was willing to go this far along, then again his name moves $5k amps and PS models, so they'll do whatever he wants. :lol:

JoshuaVonFlash and JSanta like this.
  7. Deadpool_25

Deadpool_25 SS.org Regular

There’s a price given already?

8. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

$2300

9. Avedas

Avedas SS.org Regular

I guess a 7.25 inch radius is kinda nice for barre chords. Not sure what else though.

10. Deadpool_25

Hm. Yeah that’s not crazy. And I’m guessing that’s retail? Will street be lower? Regardless that’s not bad. Assuming it has its own thing going on and isn’t “just” a Strat.

11. MaxOfMetal

Looks like $2300 Street.

So a little bit more expensive than a CE or Vela VR, but also a hair cheaper than a CE Waring.

That's not bad.

It's in direct competition with Fender American Elite, Suhr Standard, etc.

12. JSanta

JSanta SS.org Regular

I think you're probably more right. I want to say I'm surprised to see Paul pander to anyone, but when you have a guy that moves products the way JM does, I guess you just kind of do what he says!

13. MaxOfMetal

I wouldn't say it's pure pandering, as it seems besides the business relationship Mayer seems really friendly with staff. I know Mayer has said repeatedly that he not only likes the guitars but the people at PRS.

14. Deadpool_25

Everyone is assuming it was Mayer saying he wants a Strat. That’s certainly possible, and maybe even probable, but isn’t it also possible it was PRS’ idea?

15. MaxOfMetal

Of course it's possible, PRS has made many "Strat" guitars in the past, look at the EG, 305, and the DC3.

This is basically a DC3 with a different pickguard.

But, Mayer has primarily been a Strat player for a very long time. When he left Fender he specifically said he'd still always play Strats, they were his thing. He just didn't like Fender as a company, specifically management.

Deadpool_25 and AkiraSpectrum like this.
  16. JSanta

JSanta SS.org Regular

That's a fair opinion. We're all on the outside looking in. No idea what exactly happened at Fender (at least I never saw anything other than conjecture), but every PRS Artist I've ever met has had nothing but great things to say about the company - Paul really cares about what he and his company do. So Mayer being happy and getting something he's familiar with makes sense.

17. JohnIce

JohnIce Singlecoil Enthusiast

While his solos are certainly bluesy and SRV-ish, that's about it. Generally, his music has more in common with the neo-soul movement that happened in the late 90's, people like Alicia Keys, Erykah Badu, Dilla and that whole crew. Not to mention the, as he calls it, "sensitive songwriter" gang of Norah Jones, Dido etc. that were booming with all the white people at the time. So he was kind of bridging the two genres that ruled the world back then, and was really good at both of them. Success ensued. So yeah, that's a long winded way of saying he's not a "blues" artist really.

18. Deadpool_25

Yeah he's definitely not a "blues artist." He's a American pop artist whose guitar work is heavily influenced by blues and R&B. Either way though, I guess he's not as well known in Europe as he is in the US--not surprising at all.

19. Dineley

Dineley SS.org Regular

He has the John Mayer Trio which is a blues group and not just his pop top 40 type of music.... so many people are ignorant in terms of the actual scope of his skills and playing.

Plus seems like a super cool dude, showed up on Chappelle show back in the day at the height of his "Your Body is a Wonderland" fame, so the fact that he seems to have a sense of humour about him and also stabs some quality Hollywood kitty on the regular.... nothing but respect for the man.

Deadpool_25 likes this.
  20. JohnIce

JohnIce Singlecoil Enthusiast

Oh I agree, that's the language barrier. If you're no good at english then half of JM's appeal is gone, he's that type of songwriter. He's plenty popular here in Scandinavia. But massive poetic singer/songwriters like Bob Dylan or Alanis Morissette or any artist like that was always a tough sell in continental europe, I don't think it really has anything to do with the blues.

Deadpool_25 likes this.