New ISP, speed tests are great, YouTube is really slow

Discussion in 'Computers, Electronics, IT & Gaming' started by MIL8, Apr 2, 2017.

1. MIL8

MIL8 SS.org Regular

I recently switched to the other of 2 choices that I have for internet where I live. When I do a speed test, which I do fairly often at random times I always get the speed that I'm supposed to get (25Mbps down 2Mbps up), most times just a bit more. However when trying to watch videos on youtube, they always stop and buffer, if you leave the quality to the auto setting it usually sets it at 360p or 244p on videos that are 720p or 1080p. If I manually change it to HD resolution it buffers, stops etc. Any suggestions on what I could do or is this ISP just slowing down youtube? When my old ISP was working I never had this problem, the problem with them is a lot of the time they weren't working. I really need some more competition in this area!

2. DHSteeze

DHSteeze SS.org Regular

It's possible your ISP is doing some deep packet inspection, and applying some quality of service throttling specifically to youtube streaming. Verizon was found to be doing that with Netflix a while back.

Do you have any bandwidth issues with other video streaming sites like Vimeo, Netflix, iTunes, etc?

One potential way to test it would be to use a free public VPN service, and try connecting to Youtube from there. If you still have low bandwidth from the VPN, then it's possibly something else. If your bandwidth to Youtube runs at normal speed, it would be fairly safe to say your ISP is pulling some QoS shenanigans.

3. MIL8

MIL8 SS.org Regular

Thanks for the reply. I'll have to read about how to setup a VPN service, that is beyond me right now.

Something interesting that I've noticed since I made the post, it seems that if I play a video from YouTube on a device other than a PC such as a Chromecast or on my BluRay player, it loads very fast and plays without any buffering. I don't have a way to verify the resolution when playing this way but I'm pretty sure its at 1080 because it looks like it. I can walk over to a PC and the video will hardly play. I've tried resetting my modem, router, rebooting PC, different PC, clearing cache, and still the same result.

I also use Netflix and have yet to notice any problems at all. Netflix and Youtube are pretty much all I use for my TV viewing.

4. DHSteeze

DHSteeze SS.org Regular

If it seems to be working on other devices on your network at HD qualities, then QoS by your ISP doesn't seem likely. ISP level QoS is usually "all or nothing" for that sort of thing, so it would typically affect your whole network.

Are the working devices on WiFi or hardwired ethernet? Is your PC also running on the same interface (WiFi/ethernet) as the devices that seem to be working?

What browser are you using on your PC? If you haven't tried already, try other browsers (Chrome, Firefox, Safari, Opera, etc), and see if the issue persists. Also, make sure whatever browser you are using is up to date.

Other things to look at could be browser extensions like search bars, video downloaders, or antivirus plugins in the browser that could somehow interfere with youtube. Just deactivate any extra extensions and see if the video buffering continues.

5. MIL8

MIL8 SS.org Regular

Chromecast is on the wireless, the BluRay player is wired. The PC is wired, the laptop is wireless, have problems with both PCs, they are running from the same router, nothing else is in the signal path. I'm using Chrome and it is up to date, I have not tried another browser but will do that. I keep my browser as clean as possible with no other plugins etc, I hate all that extra stuff. I do run AVG free, I'll turn it off next time I see the problem.

6. MIL8

MIL8 SS.org Regular

Forgot to mention also that I when I'm trying to watch a video and it buffers a lot YouTube pulls up a button that says "Experiencing Problems? Find out why." When I click on that it shows a graph of demand at times of the day, it also shows the two ISPs that I have in my area, my old one was "HD Certified" while my current ISP is only "SD certified". I live 1.5 miles out of city limits of the state capitol with a population of 50k people. You would think in 2017 internet service would be just a bit better than this:wallbash:

My previous ISP capped my data usage at 250GB per month unless I wanted to pay for a really expensive plan, constantly had dropouts, kept putting me on more expensive plans without my permission, and fried 3 of my modems during storms because they don't know how to properly ground their wiring. I put my own surge protector on their line which stopped the modem frying, but then every time their network was down and I would call tech support they would blame it on my surge protector, even when I bypassed it. I even had one of their techs tell me once that the more internet you use the faster the modem wears out.

I hope this YouTube problem isn't the ISP that I'm on now.

7. UnderTheSign

UnderTheSign SS.org Regular

How fast do other Google services (like Gmail,searches etc) load for you? There's been reports here of a Dutch ISP having trouble loading Google stuff. I've experienced it as well. One moment it loads instantly, the other Google times out or takes 2 minutes to load a page.

8. MIL8

MIL8 SS.org Regular

Everything else is fine, YouTube is the only thing I've seen problems with.

9. El Caco

El Caco Djavli te ponesli Contributor

How old is your PC? Specs?