New here from jemsite and ibanez.com

Discussion in 'Member Introductions' started by courtney2018, Jan 9, 2008.

1. courtney2018

courtney2018 Contributor

No, just guitar. To be clear though, I started playing guitar back in the late 80s, but I never had any lessons or anything. I just figured things out on my own. By the time I went to college I could play rhythm "ok", but I couldn't solo a single thing. I had no idea about theory. The articles in guitar magazines were WAY over my head.

I didn't have time to play in college so it was just put away.

Fast forward to about a year and a half ago and a coworker friend of mine started telling me this story about how he and his friend that plays drums jammed for a few hours, and that he played guitar. That made me break out my gear and start playing again. I quickly got into theory and stuff and this is where I'm at now.

There's alot more I want to learn theory wise, but I know a good bit already. I'm not as fast as I'd like, but I'm getting faster. I hear alot of great songs in my head and I'm hoping to put those down in the coming years. Regardless of whether I get signed or not I just want to make my own music. The funny thing is that I know a few riffs from other well known songs that I learned in the late 80s, but I've never learned an entire song of someone elses. It's never really interested me that much. Now I can make my own stuff and that's what I really enjoy.

I guess you can count what I did early on as experience, but it had been so long since I did that I lost just about all of it. I pretty much started from scratch a year and a half ago....not totally, but kinda.

2. Popsyche

Popsyche Contributor

Well, you certainly picked it back up fast! :lol: What gear did you have stowed away for those years? What's the oldest guitar you have?

3. courtney2018

courtney2018 Contributor

In 1989 I saved up all my summer money and any money I got from there on until the spring of 1990 to get an Ibanez Roadstar 570 in Lipstick Red. I had bought a no-name-brand guitar from JCPenny for $100 that looked like a Steinberg. I was very much into Vito Bratta at the time so I went with that.

I played that for a year or so and then got the 570. It's got some dings in it, but it still plays like brand new although I've got it covered up and "in retirement". That's my baby. I don't nothing else to happen to it, so I've got it put away.

Then there's the Crate amp my dad bought me back then. It's a 120W Limited Edition G120CXL. I don't think they made too many of them because I've never been able to find any information, pics, etc. on the net about it.

I've also got a an original Dunlop Crybaby and a DOD Hard Rock distortion pedal. I don't like the Crybaby. Doesn't seem to be enough wah in it. Anything to do with wah I use an Ibanez Weeping Demon. I love that pedal!

Before I got the Crate I had bought a mini stack. I actually found it on the internet recently, but I've since forgotten it's name. It was a cheap amp. I think I paid like $200 for it or something. But at the time I had some majorly big sound and a sweet setup. :D

The Steinberg look-a-like I sold to my friend which also has the mini stack.

I just wish I would've kept up with it. I would be so much farther along now if I had. But oh well. That's how it goes I guess.

4. Popsyche

Popsyche Contributor

Cool! Those Roadstars are great guitars. My first was a really cheap nylon string thing, which I filled with fiberglass from an old oven, and jammed a crystal mic in it to play Black Sabbath. My second guitar was a Hagstrom S200 which I wish I still had. I had to hand rewind the pickup as it had a break in the windings. :ugh: I haven't stopped playing since I was 12!

5. Mattmc74

Mattmc74 Contributor

My first guitar was a really busted up Hondo strat copy.

6. courtney2018

courtney2018 Contributor

Yea, which is why I bought 3 RG 20ths. I just love that thin neck.

I've also got an acoustic but I never play it. My dad bought it for me one year for Christmas. It's a Washburn. It's sitting beside the 570. :D I guess it's in semi-retirement.

So how did your acoustic sound after you filled it with fiberglass?

@ne14muddin >>>
    Hondo? Don't they make cars? Oh wait...that's Honda. I've heard of Hondo, but I've never seen one.

7. Mattmc74

Mattmc74 Contributor

Hondas are good- - Hondos are crap!!!

8. Popsyche

Popsyche Contributor

Are you still up? Hondo was one of the first importers of Japanese guitars over here in the dark ages.

My acoustic sounded like ass, but it was all I had! I ran one channel of the stereo tube hifi amp I had into the other channel, and did my best with "Sweetleaf". This was WAY before Washburn existed.

9. Mattmc74

Mattmc74 Contributor

Mine was really bad!!! Then I move up to Ibanez RG550

10. courtney2018

courtney2018 Contributor

Yea, still up. I've been watching Lost Season 3. Just about to go to bed though.

Sounding like ass is something I know about. That JCPenny guitar sounded EXACTLY like that. ;)

11. Popsyche

Popsyche Contributor

Sleep tight! :)

12. courtney2018

courtney2018 Contributor

One of these days I'd like to get an old 550 from the 80s and refinish it. I did score a pretty cheap 560 body. Still need to get a neck though. I haven't been looking lately. Christmas killed the funds and I'm about to get walloped by my property tax that's due. Then home owners insurance is up in March. I can't get a break.

After all that I'm celebrating with a new axe. :lol: If I remember right it's a 2670 in Candy Apple red. I don't think they sell them in the US so I'll have to order from Japan.

13. Mattmc74

Mattmc74 Contributor

14. Popsyche

Popsyche Contributor

[​IMG]

The second one in is what happened when I got an old RG550. I swiped the maple neck, and put it on a flamed maple RG570 body. It's a bright sounding guitar. I luvs me a maple neck.

15. Mattmc74

Mattmc74 Contributor

NICE!!!! My old RG550 got stolen years ago

16. courtney2018

courtney2018 Contributor

Yea, I love maple necks too. I wish Ibanez would make more of them.

Is that a aftermarket swirl you've got on the 3rd guitar back? Looks kinda like a DNA. Everytime I find one for sale I don't have the money to get it. I'm going to end up just building one from scratch. A DNA reissue sure would be nice. I'd definitely buy 2 of those. ;)

That's a fine Ibanez collection you've got there!

17. Mattmc74

Mattmc74 Contributor

18. courtney2018

courtney2018 Contributor

Nice swirl! Is that a Fender body?

I've got a RG470 that I converted over to a JEM and swirled it...well, I do it alittle different and call them "dips". Haven't finished shooting clear on it yet. I'll try and post a pic of it. I did some other work to it as well. I've also got a bass I'm working on that has been dipped. I just love swirls! :lol:

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

19. Mattmc74

Mattmc74 Contributor

NICE!!!!

20. Mattmc74

Mattmc74 Contributor

Here is the back side of an EPI SG I did. Sorry shitty pic but you can see it a little
    [​IMG]