New Hellraiser C7 vs Viper 407

Discussion in 'Gear Reviews' started by etohk, Dec 29, 2005.

1. etohk

etohk SS.org Regular

Well it finally got here after so much crap with the ebay seller....I wont name names...

Well the craftsmanship on this thing is flawless, just perfect...its a gorgeous guitar, I cant find any flaws....I really dig the EMG707s, I think more than my 81-7s in my viper.

Probably the first thing that I noticed when I strapped the hellraiser on was the great balance of the guitar....this is definitely where the hellraiser wins by a longshot. I find the viper 407 a tad neck heavy which is something I have learned to live with, but isnt an issue with the hellraiser.

The neck is a fair amount thicker than the 407, and although there is only a one inch difference in scale between the two (25.5 and 26.5) the difference in feel is huge. This is definitely going to take some getting used to.

I cant say it sounds better than the 407, they both sound really good. At the moment, I still prefer the feel of the neck, playing comfort and upper fret access of the Viper 407.

I am actually not too sure I am going to keep this guitar yet....the main issue that doesnt have me overjoyed, is that I have to alter my picking when playing standing up, as well the upper fret access isnt very comfortable for me. IMO the viper just seems to have the hellraiser beat in this category. Maybe it will get better the more I play it, but this is a really nagging concern for me. Anywho, just thought I would share!

2. forelander

forelander you fail me

why do you have to change your picking standing up?

3. etohk

etohk SS.org Regular

Its an awkward angle...bizarre

4. forelander

forelander you fail me

Could you explain a bit more please? I'm thinking of getting one and won't have a chance to play it so specific detail on how its awkward standing up and anything else you've noticed would really help. Cheers.

5. etohk

etohk SS.org Regular

I think its mainly due to the scale length, I notice its not quite as bad if I shorten my strap...for me I really feel a difference playing palm muted rhythm bits, but not really leads. Its just a bigger guitar...have you played any extended scale guitars before?

Other than that everything else feels great. Its got good string tension, low action and killer tone.

6. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

Moved to Reviews.

Interesting read - I'm itching for the new Black Cherry C7 Hellraiser myself. :D

7. nyck

nyck blah!

Could it be the bridge? I have trouble playing with tune o matic bridges, whenever I pick one up, it feels super awkward to rest my palm on the bridge because it's at a angle, whereas a plain hard tail would be more flat.

8. NewArmyGuitar

NewArmyGuitar Fueled by Satan Contributor

I could never get really comfortable with tune o matic bridges either. It's part of the reason I got rid of my Schecter.

9. etohk

etohk SS.org Regular

Well the Viper has a tune o matic and I have no problems with it...so I am pretty sure its not the bridge....this what makes me think its the length of the scale and possibly the location of the bridge...I am just hoping I dont have to wear this guitar on my chest in order to play it comfortably

10. Metal Ken

Metal Ken Hates the Air Contributor

Yeah, I play extended guitars exclusively right now. I have a RG1077XL (27") and a 007 Black Jack (26.5"). As far as adjusting your picking standing up.. Hasnt happened to me, even when i did have 25.5" scale guitars. then again, i have cliplock straps and i just set them for as short as they'll go.
    For some reason, i seem to scrape my first knuckle on my right hand a lot when playing muted rythms on the shcecter but not the RG.

11. Vegetta

Vegetta SS.org Regular

TOMs are a lot like cheese graters - I used to tear the shit out of my hands playing my friends les paul -

12. Metal Ken

Yeah, my hand actually started bleeding while i was playing some thrash metal. lol. I'm that tr00.

13. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

Kven, your tr00ness was never questioned - I deem it somewhat surprising that your guitar doesn't start bleeding while you are administering thrash metal upon it.

:hber:

:fawk:

14. Metal Ken

well, when i scorn the name of god, the guitar starts bleeding like the wall in that dracula movie ;p