New headphone amp? do i need it?

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by Speedos, Aug 25, 2017.

1. Speedos

Speedos SS.org Regular

not sure if this is the best category to post this to, so feel free to move the thread if need be.

long story short: i had a pair of Sony MDR XB 700 headphones, been using them for a couple of years; they have been really worn out. for some reason my scalp had become really sensitive this past year and i thought it was because of the upper headband of the headphones that was putting pressure on my hair (after using it/ and also randomly through the day each time i changed the direction of hair...got me scared a bit and made me look for some new headphones). managed to find the only over-ear headphones on the market that didn't touch the scalp, and i bought them: Audio-Technica ATH-A550Z

so now to the question. do i need an amp for them? if so, what budget amp would you recommend?
    anything in the 30-50 euros range?
    the sony pair had amazing bass; but this AT pair is so much more clear. would an amp boost the bass a little so that i can have the best of both worlds? (hearing a song like Michael Woods-Nitro through the sony is amazing)

i also have a scarlett 2i2 interface (with a shure sm57 mic; i use it most of the time for random talking, more rarely for recording). if i decide to buy an amp, how should i connect everything? in what order? connect the amp directly to the interface, so headphones->amp->audio interface->pc?

thanks

2. buriedoutback

buriedoutback SS.org Regular

I use the headphone amp built into my interface (presonus usb) and it goes louder than I'll ever need. I run earbuds and 2 types of over-ear phones without issues.
    Do the Audio-Technica ATH-A550Z need some special equipment to use them?

3. Speedos

Speedos SS.org Regular

these particular ones, not that i know of. though i always get the recommendation to get an amp regardless, that is why i am confused whether i should buy one or not

4. buriedoutback

buriedoutback SS.org Regular

I say give it a shot with what you have. I don't think you'll need anything extra, unless you want a 4-channel-headphone-splitter/amp or something. I'm not a pro by any means, but my interface headphone amp works awesome.