New Harley Benton FanFret-8

Discussion in 'Extended Range Guitars' started by Van Portogal, Oct 10, 2016.

1. MisterCirKus

MisterCirKus I want to believe

Yes please I also want to see it (I'm sure I will prefer it visually) and to know if it's a mahogany neck or mapple nato. If you can don't hesitate to make a video also !

I love mahogany in terms of feeling under the hand but a thru neck in mahogany will don't have a sound that i like especially for low sounds !

2. Icedfirefly

Icedfirefly SS.org Regular

3. MisterCirKus

Yes that's strange, for me the 2018 was this one and it's wrote mapple/nato. I don't understand what will be the differences with the 2018 and 2017 (thats i ordered) if the 2018 that you ordered is a green one but I think you will have a black one cause in the description it's wrote black, opened pickups... I don't think it's a third model or a green one.

You can easily send the guitar back to Thomann cause there were (and still) not clear with those new models and there will be mistakes (in description you have neck mahogany and mapple/nato, color black etc)
    The good thing if you have model with soapbar pickups it's that's way easier to find replacement in this shape (active or passive) no need to order customized pickups (very expensive) it's the only reason i ordered the 2017 model cause i know i will change those pickups.

Mine still not on the road, I don't know why cause the guitar is in stock.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2017
  4. Icedfirefly

Yeah, i will wait to receive it, i think at the end of this week, or early next one, and then see what i got, it`s kind of a surprise guitar at this moment.

If i get a green one, and i like it, i will keep it and get a black one to have in another tuning...

lewis likes this.
  5. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

You will like it. They are amazing tbh. Play great and are so so solid. Even the finish in person looks amazing.
    100% buy both if you can afford it.

6. Icedfirefly

Finally here! i just got it.
    Here is a quick picture, i haven`t even plugged it yet

[​IMG]

I really like it, looks pretty good, haven`t seen any big issue, the finish looks great, the top and bottom of the pickups goes almost parallel to the strings, that means there will be need to do some modification if i wanted to try some aftermarket pickups (I would like to try the Pegasus/Sentient)

The tuners are Harley Benton locking tuners, i was thinking in putting some locking tuners, so, one less thing to do for the time being

The fretwork, is good enough i think, i don`t like the top end of the 15, 16, 20 and 21 frets, but are playable noone the less.

The neck profile it`s just a bit bigger than my Ibanez RGA, but not too much, i feel it confortable.

The only thing i didn`t like is that it comes with EXL 140 8 strings... i`m used to 09 for standard tuning and this is 10... i have a 6 strings 09 pack, i think i will change only those 6 strings and keep the 7 and 8 as they came, do you think the neck will keep it togheter without the need to do some neck adjustment?

Well, now i will play it a bit, later i will do some update and try to take more and better pics

Laters!!!

MisterCirKus likes this.
  7. MisterCirKus

Hi, good for you and yes you'll need custom pickups to fit in.

So we finally see this guitar, it's a third model, green with open pickups like the black one and locking tuners (are they good ?) nice ! It looks darker than the "2017", looks like the back is black.

Mine (with old tuners?) still in Thomann and now it's only available "on command"... they said to me they needed to pass those guitar in quality control but it was available at the same moment than yours... Hope everything is fine...

Please put some other photos (also the back, tuners etc) and give more feedback !

8. Icedfirefly

Here are a few more pictures, sorry but my phone camera sucks and i`m also pretty bad at taking pics

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Tuners works good so far! the finish is... don`t know the right word, matte, satin (Not shiny) maybe that`s the reason it looks darker
    Mine came with a Quality control card, so maybe they check it a bit.
    Soundwise... i like it, i like more the bridge pickup than the neck one, but in the long run, i will change them.
    No fret buzz so far, action low enough, pretty good out of the box, some small stains in the second and third string, so i will take them all out, put some lemon oil on the fretboard and try my 09 strings now.

Edit.
    The neck doesn`t fit in my Hercules wall hangers where i keep my seven string guitar and a five strings bass, i need to see to get a bigger one or i will just leave it in a guitar stand i have.

rahnvu and MisterCirKus like this.
  9. MisterCirKus

Thx for those pics, it looks more green than the 2017 model (more blue/green)

I don't know if it's good to put lemon oil on Roseacer cause it's treated mapple.

thanks anyway, don't hesitate to say/show more !!

10. rahnvu

rahnvu SS.org Regular

Pics, y u no work :(

11. MisterCirKus

Yes, did that also for me, try to quote the message then "inser quote" then it would appear... it did for me.

12. rahnvu

rahnvu SS.org Regular

It worked! But it makes no sense.

MisterCirKus likes this.
  13. Icedfirefly

I don`t know for sure what`s the issue with my pics, i`m using imgur and the code they provide for message boards, for the future ones i will try to use the insert image button instead of just copying the code.

Moving forward... i am really having fun with this guitar, it`s my first fan fretted and the transition was pretty easy, my only grip... as someone pointed out in the first page, it`s the nut width, maybe it`s my fingertips or bad technique, or a mix of both, but often my fingertips mute a bit of the string below the one i`m pressing.

Maybe with a bit more practice and focusing on it, i can overcome this issue.

lewis likes this.
  14. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

Thats 100% more green than the 2017 version.
    Mine is more ocean green/blue.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. kylendm

kylendm Electrical Mercenary

imgur doesnt work on ss.org

16. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

for anyone curious.
    The website "Postimage" using the "direct link" for photos, works flawlessly everytime on this forum.

rahnvu likes this.