New Harley Benton FanFret-8

Discussion in 'Extended Range Guitars' started by Van Portogal, Oct 10, 2016.

1. laxu

laxu SS.org Regular

Shortest lived guitar lineup ever?

2. gujukal

gujukal SS.org Regular

Probably, i guess they had too many returns on them.

3. mpexus

mpexus SS.org Regular

That or with the new Wood regulations they had to cancel a lot of orders from Factory.

In fact its noticeable on Thomann site that theres a lot of new Models of various brands not even showing up.

4. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

ah wow /\ thats lame. Im so happy i got one now then. Phew i must have just nipped in before they stopped em.

shame because mine is spot on and sounds great too.

5. gujukal

gujukal SS.org Regular

Lucky bastard, sell it to me :agreed:

6. exo

exo SS.org Regular

Looks like there is a B-stock available.

7. gujukal

gujukal SS.org Regular

I'm tempted, but i worry it will be in horrible condition, but it could also just be someone who didn't like 8-strings and returned it.

8. blacai

blacai SS.org Regular

I would not buy the B-Stock in this case. I assume they had a lot of returns. Also some models are just listed as "DECO". That means they are just horrible and unplayable. Maybe it just take them 5 returns to switch from B-Stock to Deco.

9. gujukal

gujukal SS.org Regular

True, could always gamble and return it if it's ..... Kinda sucks with all the hassle of shipping and so on though :/

10. Xian

Xian SS.org Regular

Hi Guys,
    I went into ER a week ago motivated by Mick Gordon and the Doom OST, as well as Meshuggah. Stumbled across the fanned fret HB on Thomann Website and when looking for reviews, read this thread. Thanks for your info here, I decided to give it a shot and buy a B-Stock.
    Since you were kind to give me the info which lead to the purchase decision (which I so far do not regret) I thought I'd give some back to you and provide some pics of the actual reason why it is B-Stock.
    I see a few of you hesitate to buy one of the last from Thomann, so here are the flaws on my one:

Attached Files:

11. Xian

Xian SS.org Regular

and a few more in the attachments.
    Note that these are HD pics in close up. I actually needed to go Sherlock to find the cracks and scratches. I personally can live with these regarding the price of 370€.
    In the price range of, for instance, my PRS Custom 24, I would be definitely way more pricky.
    But for the price it is ok, especially since this is actually a very nice guitar.
    Neck is quite thin, about an Ibanez Wizard profile. Since this my first ER guitar, I have no comparison with Agile, Shecter or so...
    Guitar was quite badly set up though. Took me 10 minutes to get intonation and attack done. After that... quite a joy!
    Pups are "ok", but in the upper 6 strings range where I can talk from experience, they are way behind EMGs (81 and 85 which I know well), so I will definitely check out 808x next time down at Music Store Cologne.
    Overall, I would suggest to you: for that price, grab one as the last ones are still there! And I cross fingers that you will be as lucky as I was.
    Cheers guys!
    Chris

Attached Files:

12. gujukal

gujukal SS.org Regular

Thanks for the info man! Some minor cosmetic flaws are not that of a big deal for a guitar in this price range, playability and nice frets is far more important for me.

13. SalParadise

SalParadise SS.org Regular

I've recently got the Harley Benton fanned fret 8 B stock. For the price there's no real complaints- around the same damage as an Ibanez RG8 but better build quality such as thru neck, flamed maple cap and some lovely sculpting on the body. I have noticed quite a few blemishes on the finish, lots of imperfections such as lumps and scuff marks but you know, if you're buying a guitar to look lovely then spend more than £350! There is a few lumps on the heel which although aren't noticeable whilst playing do draw attention to the quality of workmanship- there's no country of origin on the headstock but I imagine it's a mass production from Asia which again you can't really complain about due to the price. With the aesthetic issues out of the way, the finish is less tacky than I imagined- it is green as hell but it looks quite marine like, less flashy then the images on Thomann show. The fingerboard looks like burnt maple which is lovely.
    The main issue I've had is the frets. There were a few buzzes on the 5-9 and the truss rod took a dive within the first week which made it almost unplayable, but easy to fix. There's still buzz but luckily my dads a luthier so I'm going to refret it and see how it goes from there.
    Sound wise, it pops compared to the RG8. Very responsive, strung with a quality set of strings and the pickups seem to be exactly the same as the RG8 but with some writing on. They're half decent but I imagine, like me, if you're getting this guitar it's the start of a mod and you'll be ripping those out as soon as humanly possible.
    The neck seems about 1cm thicker than the Ibanez speed way which means although noticeable chunkier, your hand doesn't cramp when you hold down big chords and things like sweeping seem easier due to the assistance of pressure. This may sway some as the Ibanez neck is a thing of beauty due to its slim profile and the Benton has a les Paul esque profile. A nice change as most necks seem to be super slim but again, this may get in the way of your playing style.
    Overall the guitars quite light, the body being quite thin on close inspection. The thru neck looks brilliant and with the monorail bridge each string is loud and strong. Apart from minor, mainly visual, issues the build quality is flawless for the price. I'm hoping my fret issue is unique but with any guitar from some unnamed factory, you're generally aware you're going to have to put in some hands on work to get it to a premier quality.
    But, the million dollar question- what does an entry level priced fanned fretboard feel like. Barely noticeable, positively. It's not clumsy- most people who have made the transition to a fanned fret say that it's not that big of a change when you're playing it and this example stays true. Some big stretchy chords may be harder to nail with no duff notes or fret buzz but after a few weeks you get used to it. I modded my RG8 to a fanned fret (domestically, thanks again to luthier dad) and got used to the style but actually playing a fanned fretboard designed for the guitar is great.
    This is a brilliant starting point for a mod or an entry level fanned fret 8 string. The build is good in relation to the price, but if you want a premier guitar I'd advise saving up for a top quality guitar as this is not- it has all the features and could become a great instrument with money and time, but if you want to take it out of the box and get the best result straight off, spend the money. Personally I'm chuffed, beautiful guitar and so many great features for the price but at the same time, it's not too precious- I'm not going to feel bad for gutting it and turning it into something different whilst if I had a Boden os8 or classic for example, the costs and the risks would be excessive. Aneurism territory there. If you can snatch one up while they're still dirt cheap, do it! Unless you have a strandberg or other kind of luxury guitar you won't be disappointed, and I'm looking forward to see what you guys do to yours mod wise- I'm going to post a review of the bareknuckle juggernaut and DiMarzio ionizer in my RG8 soon and need some opinions of other good 8 string pickups to put in the Benton. Hope you guys found god helpful and if I can help further don't hesitate to ask my long winded opinion.

14. gujukal

gujukal SS.org Regular

Cool, glad i didn't buy it then, i guess it's great if you know how to fix those things. I've tried fixing bad frets and it never ended up great, and getting it fixed by a tech costs a lot of money.

15. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

bumping this for:
    1. They are NOT Discontinued and new stock is due back in on 10th of August this year (next month)
    and
    2. The fretboard is defo not Rosewood. Its maple thats been darkened. It wont darken up using lemon oil or conditioner etc just like Maple wouldnt. All my other Rosewood boards do so

16. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

just added new locking tuners and pearloid buttons. Strat knobs also went on -

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

up next will be a dual pair of White EMG 81-8s and an RPC knob from EMG to boost highs and cut lows.

Target Aesthetic -

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 26, 2017
    AkiraSpectrum likes this.
  17. cip 123

cip 123 SS.org Regular

I wouldn't boost highs on 81's wouldn't that be ear splitting?!!

57 is my shout for 8's if it's EMG's

18. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

That was the whole point. You know in guitar production you can have guitar only sections where the guitar sounds absolutely terrible for a few beats, then when everything comes back in again the guitar returns to its original amazing tone?
    Im trying to go for something like that. It could basically be used as a EQ sweep type effect.
    Also I really like that very metallic/twang tone anyway. Ala new Whitechapel where it sounds like you have run through 2 OD pedals at once.

19. cip 123

cip 123 SS.org Regular

I just stay away from EMG's in 8's aside from the 57 haha. I had the 808's which are less bright than 81's and it was still shrill and just ear fatiguing.

lewis likes this.
  20. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

more pics -

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

OmegaSlayer and chopeth like this.