New Guitar floating bridge

Discussion in 'Beginners/FAQ' started by Tiagodinis, Feb 22, 2018.

1. Tiagodinis

Tiagodinis SS.org Regular

Hi guys :), i'm looking into a floating tremolo 6 strings guitar with 24 frets and i wanted to have some feedback from you guys about your experience with them.

I was always mainly a fixed bridge guy till 2 years ago when i bought a music man majesty. Before i have always had fixed bridge guitars except for a ibanez rg 350 which had a terrible tuning stability.
    Nowadays i actually find the majesty to have a more stable tuning than the fixed bridge guitars that i had before.

But now im starting to research a little bit so i can buy a good stable guitar without empting my pockets has i did for the majesty :).

Which floating bridges do you guys find more stable? Are the high end ibanez ones better than the rg350 one?

Thanks in advance :)

2. spudmunkey

spudmunkey SS.org Regular

There are some Ibanez bridges that are considered some of the best trems from any company ever...and there are some models that are garbage...so to answer your last question, yes. :)

There's tons of talk about Ibanez trems all over the web comparing bridges, and I'll let others give specifics...but yes: there are Ibanezes out there with best-of-the-best trems from any maker.

3. GuitarBizarre

GuitarBizarre Listen to physics.

The good Ibanez trems are as follows:

Original Edge
    Low Profile Edge (AKA Edge LoPro)
    Edge Zero
    Edge Zero II*
    Edge Pro**
    ZR***

* This is functionally an excellent bridge. It is however, a cheaper version of the Edge Zero, so lacks a certain level of finish smoothness, doesn't have the intonation tool, and is not as smooth on the fine tuners. The tuning stability should be identical to it's bigger brother though.

** The Edge Pro is a good bridge, but to make it top notch requires changing the studs to Locking Studs -This is easy to do and costs not very much money from Rich at IbanezRules. It's good without this however.

*** The ZR isn't sold in some markets due to patent disputes. If you can find a guitar with one though, it's a solid bridge and holds tuning excellently.

Strobe likes this.
  4. Tiagodinis

Ok guys thank you :) i'll be looking for on that has the lopro/edge zero or OFR then.

I'll probably look into ibanez since their radius is usually 17.

Thank you

5. ImBCRichBitch

ImBCRichBitch SS.org Regular

Original edge or ofr for sure.

6. GuitarBizarre

Ibanez radius is not 17. As a japanese company they're metric, so their radii are 400 or 430mm.

The bridges are all 430mm, but plenty of their guitars are 400mm radius fretboards and still have those bridges - in particular the ZR only ever came on guitars with 400mm radii.

Is this bad? No, not really, but it does mean that if you want the absolute lowest, sickest possible breath-on-it-and-it-frets-the-note action, you will need to do some shimming of the bridge.

The ZR btw, is a much maligned bridge in general - it has a little less range than an edge, but more of it is actually useful, as the pivot point is close to the break point of the strings in the saddle. This means less VERTICAL movement when using the bridge, which means you can pull the tremolo around without worrying about it fretting out on pullups.

7. DarthV

DarthV SS.org Regular

Huge fan of the LoPro and even without the locking stud mod, my Edge Pro guitars are rock hard stable. My 10 year old rg1570 just doesn't go out of tune. If you want the 'feels', you'll want to remove the ZPS unit out of the ZR or Edge Zero.

8. GuitarBizarre

Yes, the Edge Pro is a good bridge with or without the mod. It's just that some of them are 9/10 rather than 10/10 and the locking stud mod is pretty much always what they need to get the rest of the way.

Also, don't limit yourself just to Ibanez - Ibanez trems are great but there are preference items with them. The pop-in arms on the Edge line of tremolos are pop-in, and unless you routinely replace the nylon inserts on the arm, they're notorious for having a small dead zone in the middle, that a good floyd with it's screw-down arm collar will not have.

That dead zone is something I personally hate, because I like having the subtle control, but other players much prefer not having to unscrew a collar to remove the arm from the guitar.

The ZR and EZ trems have smaller sustain blocks than most other bridges, and if you want properly good sustain you might want a brass block, which are much easier to buy for Original Edges, LoPro Edges, and Floyd Rose type bridges, than they are for the EZ or ZR style of bridge.

There are people here who know more about the various models of Floyd than I do - I believe the Specials are supposed to be good, the Original Floyd Rose is excellent, there are Gotoh and Schaller units available aftermarket that are excellent but come on very few guitars as stock. Some old Jackson licensed floyds are apparently good, but most are garbage and it's a topic of it's own to discuss which are which.

9. Tiagodinis

Hi again guys, thanks for all the opinions.
    After some research i find myself between 3 models, the 3770, the rg 652 bg, and the RG6UCS.
    The big diference being the bridges, and the wood, and price.

Do you think that there is a real diference between the african mahogony, and basswood?

do you think that there would be a diference in playbility between a 2300 euros prestige and 1600 one? (being that the neck specs are all the same - super wizard)

i've only had the oportunity to try the 3770 one and i've found the neck really good.

10. ImBCRichBitch

ImBCRichBitch SS.org Regular

Personally, mahogany would be ideal. basswood is pretty sterile. and at one point in time, i would choose it. but ive noticed it gives nothing to the tone. mahogany tends to be warmer. basswood however only sounds like the core sound of the picups in it. Bad pups, bad tone. and vice versa

11. Tiagodinis

Thank for the input :), the pickups are for the 3770 (tone zone/air norton), rg 652 on the ibanez site have on the specs the TZ/AN also but when you look down on the features they say it has the fusion edge :S, and for the rg 6ucs its the BK aftermaths.

rg 652 - edge + 5 piece neck + af mahogany + saperle top - 1600 euros
    rg 3770 - edge zero with zps 3+ 5 piece neck with kts titanium rod + af mahogany body with maple top - 2050 euros
    rg 6ucs - edge lo pro + 5 piece neck with kts titanium rod + basswood body - 2300 + -euros

i dont know if the 700 euros diference (900 dollars?) are justified by the kts rod and the aftermaths (i dont even know if they suit my style of music - cleans and pliniesque distortion)

And regarding to the zps 3 system what do you think guys?

Il be doing also my google research meanwhile :).

Last edited: Mar 11, 2018
  12. GuitarBizarre

Obligatory "there's no such thing as tonewood" comment.

13. Tiagodinis

hi guys, i wanted to thank you for all the input and give some news about the thread, i went for the rg 652 BG :).

14. Andrew Lloyd Webber

Andrew Lloyd Webber Part-time Elon Musk impersonator

Congrats. Looking forward to an NGD and perhaps reflections from beyond the honeymoon.

I respect your passion/stubbornness, but no sermon has saved even one soul among the retarded.

15. GuitarBizarre

Doesn't matter. Being right is still being right.

16. Andrew Lloyd Webber

I think you recognize that your antithetics’ crusades stem from the same position, and that they are no closer to victory.

17. Cynicanal

Cynicanal SS.org Regular

Given that just taping a bunch of weight to the body of a guitar changes its tone, it seems strange to suggest that density and stiffness of the body wood would have no effect.

18. Andrew Lloyd Webber

Who is suggesting that? Tonewood proponents believe wood species dictates the sound, whereas critics point out that a tree is composed of woods with variation in density and rigidity resulting from differences in size, location of wood source within the trunk, and water distribution throughout its wood. Furthermore, differing trees are bought and sold worldwide under umbrella-terms of species (eg. “Mahogany”); so those who purchase guitars specced as being “mahogany” because it’s their preference may only be receiving an indistinguishable relative or aesthetically-similar imposter.

Sadly, the tonewood “debate” is another religious conflict; in which consumers gravitating toward extremes of a false dichotomy are imbued with a compunction to attack and defend peace-of-mind.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2018
  19. Cynicanal

Cynicanal SS.org Regular

Most of the non-tonewood guys I see claim that no part of the structure of the body or neck matters other than scale length and frets because "pickups don't hear wood" (they never seem to bother explaining how semi-hollows sound so different than solid-bodies, even though pickups don't hear wood in a semi-hollow either...). If that isn't your stance, then carry on (although, I will say that in all but the most extreme cases, maple is going to be heavier and stiffer than mahogany, and alder heavier and stiffer than basswood or swamp ash, so some generalization based on species is possible there.)

20. Andrew Lloyd Webber

Unfortunately, people on both sides are willing to mispresent possibility as plausibility. I haven’t personally observed anyone claiming density and rigidity of string-bearing materials as not affecting the vibrating string, but I can see how the “pickups can’t hear wood” mantra would push people to adopt assumptions toward either extreme. “Pickups can’t hear species” may be more appropriate but, yes; even the algorithms constituting the fake guitars in my Variax are an empirical quantification of the role construction plays in the sound of an electric guitar.