New guitar - CST

Discussion in 'Guitar Reviews' started by Drew, Jun 16, 2005.

1. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

Where to begin...

To make a very long story short, about two weeks ago I was offered a CST at what I considered a very reasonable price completely out of the blue. I've only even seen one of these for sale once, so after a quick check at my savings account and about six hours of wrestling with my conscience, I finally admitted I'd never forgive myself if I let this one pass.

The guitar arrived last night via UPS (who apparently had better things to do than track my package, it went straight from "information recieved, package will be picked up" to "package delivered" - I wish the real world worked like that, too :lol:), and man... I've never seen another guitar quite like this one. Ibanez isn't known for their picture-perfect bookmatched tops, and this one's no exception, but I really dig the slight chaos. Top looks maybe 3mm thick, not major, but it seems to have a noticeable effect on the tone (more later). Three peice maple neck, bare ebony fretboard, medium-large ish frets. Fit and finish is absurd - everything you'd expect of a J-Custom. While cooking dinner last night (a LATE dinner, took me rather a while to put it down), I kept taking breaks to go look at the thing - I think I'm in love. :wub:

Tonally... Well, I've got a loooong track record on this one - I've always held that mahogany really isn't an ideal tonewood for a sevenstring. If I had a hat, I'd be eating it. Maybe it's the maple top, maybe it's the ebony fretboard, but notes on this thing sound CRISP. Acoustically, it's just as resonant (if not more so) as my UVPWH, which came as a REAL shock as that thing's a beast and I always figured part of it's tone came from the fact so little of the finish was still in one peice. :lol: So, we're talking about a guitar that sounds just as full as my UV, but with the extra clarity to the attack that I'd been missing. Especially at lower gain settings on my Nomad, this thing is just brutal.

The pickups are custom-wound dimarzios, reputedly hand-wound by Steve Beuchler himself. I'll try to confirm this once I get a chance to take them out and check for model numbers, etc. I'm not 100% sold on the bridge, but the neck pickup sounds phenominal - very warm, round, and with that wonderful "clang" to the attack when you dig in on lower gain levels. I may end up swapping out the bridge (I'll give it a few weeks, but the JB is certainly tempting), but it IS a good sounding pickup - better natural harmonics than my UV's Blaze, and it's a well balanced tone that handles higher gain setting quite well. I'm wondering if maybe I raise it slightly it'll work out.

The neck strikes me as similar to how I remember my old 2027, which is neither surprising nor at all a bad thing - that guitar's neck owned. A little more "D" shaped than my UV, and maybe a little girthier, but very comfortable (more so than the 7620's I've played), and feels like it'll be stable as hell.

And, since there's some law against posting one of these without pics...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And the latest family shot:
    [​IMG]

I'll get some bigger shots up there eventually. :)

-Drew

2. Regor

Regor Double Edge FTW Contributor

alright, so aside from the finish, that thing looks like it's exactly the same as my 2127X. BUT YOU GOT AN EBONY FRETBOARD??

You sir, SUCK! :fawk:

3. The Dark Wolf

The Dark Wolf Contributor

Drew, I officially fucking hate you, you lucky fucking bastard. :fawk:

4. darren

darren Decibel Guitars Forum MVP

I'm not a huge RG fan, but the CST has always appealed to me. The Vintage Violin finish over curly maple with a blank ebony board is really classy-looking. And, of course, it has a piezo. What's not to like?

Nice collection. If you ever want to part with the CST... ;)

5. The Dark Wolf

*Smacking Darren in the head* FUCK that! :scream: You know who the biggest CST fan around is, D!

6. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

Me? ;)

I might just have to keep this one, if only to prevent bloodshed if I ever DO find myself wanting to sell it. ;)

Yeah, the 2027/2127's are based on this one - aside from the top, the fretboard, and the pickups (and a little extra attention to the fit and finish, and the fact that there's more than 12-24 of 'em ;)) they're basically identical. Killer guitars, either way, I think with the right pickups I'd never have sold my old 2027.

-D

7. The Dark Wolf

Fuck it. If you miss the 2027 so much, I'll trade ya! :lol:

8. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

No chance, bro. :) This thing's got a touch more high end bite, coupled with everything I love about my UV.

-D

9. Chris

Chris metalguitarist.org Forum MVP

Where's the truss rod cover?

That's it! That thing sucks! :fawk:

10. aldog1330

aldog1330 I like beer

Awesome guitar Drew, congrats on the score!! I love the feel of a blank ebony board, I have one on my Jackson SL2, and its just sexy, plus very clean and sharp looking!

11. Vince

Vince Contributor

12. nikt

nikt LACS Lover

I haven't seen a J-custom 7 string with trust rod cover :D

13. The Dark Wolf

Then I must forewarn you. You are officially on my hit list. :noplease:

Nice score, D. Couldn't happen to a nicer, more decent guy. Happy shredding! :shred:

14. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

I think Chris is screwing with me. ;)

15. Jerich

Jerich Contributor

UGG !!! not another Ugly Ibanez Heeeh Haa!... nice guitar. Love the color with the Markerless Fretboard..How much did she cost? if you are willing to say?

16. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

Yeah, I know. I wanted it in hot pink with neon green sharkfin inlays with a handle cut out, you know, in case I ever wanted to carry it by a handle, but I guess I'll have to settle for flamed maple and bare ebony for now... ;)

My soul. And a half a pound of human flesh. The seller wanted one, but I talked him down... ;)

By the way, Jerich, I thought you were talking out your ass about coated unwound Elixers a while back, but my latest order from juststrings.com* came with "rust resistant" unwounds. Cool! :yesway:

-D

*Did you know they advertise in the Smithsonian? Weird.

17. Digital Black

Digital Black SS.org Regular

Man that is sweet.. Your a lucky guy.

18. giannifive

giannifive Occasional Poster Contributor

Nice, Drew!

You bastard!

You should put up a sound sample.

19. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

I should, at that, shouldn't I? Either tonight, or after I set it up.

-D

20. Shawn

Shawn Ibanez Guitars Forum MVP

Very nice pictures. They came out good. Man that CST is sweet and so is the rest of the arsenal.:)
    Lovely pictures, man. Congrats.