New Guitar Body Build! All Suggestions Helpful

Discussion in 'Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations' started by Corolo, Feb 4, 2016.

1. Corolo

Corolo SS.org Regular

Hey guys,
    I'm relatively new here but I am starting a new build. I have an old Ibanez AX7521 and I am gonna replace the body because the guitar is rather neck heavy and the guitar is somewhat uncomfortable to play sitting or standing. The guitar is a 7 string by the way. I am looking for a combination of body wood and pickups for a rather versatile guitar. I know I want a semi-hollow body and H-S-H pick up configuration. So I need some suggestions for these things:
    1. Body Wood
    Right now the body is mahogany but since its pretty light it doesn't balance with the neck so I am thinking something else.
    2. Pick Up Selection
    I am looking for pickups that have enough warmth and clarity but not an overwhelming amount that make a muddy low end, but also something is not a super high output .I play many different genres. Primarily Jazz, Fusion, Metal, Rock, and Electronic and a mixture of all. Bands like Exivious and Animals as Leaders, Kurt Rosenwinkel and Gilad Hekselmen, and Gorillaz are a good summery of the styles I am trying to achieve. Any contribution would be great I am open to anything. Keep the post coming! Thanks guys!

2. BlackMastodon

BlackMastodon \m/ (゚Д゚) \m/ Contributor

I would not call mahogany a light wood. If you extend the top horn and strap button position to be closer to the 12th fret or even further towards the headstock it should help with neck dive. Also if you're planning on going semi-hollow then that will probably be harder to manage, though I've never owned or built a semi-hollow so I don't know for sure.

Taking a quick look at pics of the AX7521 I can definitely see how neck dive could be a problem with the really short horns, any kind of super strat shape with a longer top horn would fix it for the most part.

3. Zhysick

Zhysick Sick of all

I would say that the neck of that Ibby is not pretty heavy and yes, the body is light, but probably because it is not "legit" Mahogany but Agathis which is lighter but sound pretty similar to mahogany (and few years ago every brand was listing it as mahogany, later as asian mahogany until they have to start listing them as agathis :lol:).

On the other hand, if you are going semihollow and you are worried about the neck-dive I would suggest you to hollow up only the upper part of the body (over the low strings) so the lower part of the body (controls' side lets say) will have a little bit more of wood and weight to help balance the guitar.

The longer upper horn is "crucial" when you have a heavy headstock (and I would bet it's not your case but as you seem worried about it let's go safe then).

About pickups...

Which brands are you thinking? DiMarzio Ionizers could be a very very good match for what you are looking for and as long as the single coil the Blaze single could do perfectly the job.

Cheers!

PS: post pics of your body design and progress!

4. Corolo

Corolo SS.org Regular

I am going to assume you guys are correct. I got this axe used from GC. Side note: the staff had no idea what they had, they listed it as a 7221 which were the models that were made in Indonesia or China, I can't remember. So much of the information I know is from the internet. Body shape, I'm thinking Super Strat/RG style? Possibly more of hollow body style look. I am not too sure yet. I wouldn't assume that body shape really affects tone to that great of an extent? I was actually thinking about doing only the bass side semi-hollow body because both sides would be much more difficult especially since I'm quite new. My uncle and my dad are helping out, they have dealt with these things before. Also Zhysick, I did look at the Ionizers and I was wondering if you had any suggestions for Tone woods. Basswood would be cool but that is a light wood and I'm thinking something a little more warm. Ill keep posting my thoughts and progress.