New guitar and tons of feedback

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by Crimsonghost, Jul 27, 2018.

1. Crimsonghost

Crimsonghost SS.org Regular

Just got my first 7 (km7) and I’m having crazy feedback issues. Playing through a Marshall valvestate 100 at half volume and half gain I’m ok but anything more then that and it’s out of control.I’ve plugged into my other guitarists amp and I get the same issues. I’m used to playing a LP with emgs so maybe I don’t know how to dial a tone with a passive pu? But This seems excessive. I’ve tried running through bias fx for a couple noise gates and it’s still shitty sounding.

Maybe a pickup issue or am I just stupid?

2. JustinRhoads1980

JustinRhoads1980 SS.org Regular

sounds like possibly something is not grounded correctly? I dunno I think @KnightBrolaire would be able to help you more with this

3. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire pickupwhoricus americanus

Could be a couple of things
    1. pickup isn't properly wax potted -remove pickup, melt some paraffin or beeswax and dip pickup in/let it cool/remove excess wax from bobbin top to make it look nice. voila, you've just repotted a pickup.
    2. There may be a grounding issue where ground wire isn't properly soldered on at one or both ends (not super common, but easy to fix.)

4. Alex79

Alex79 SS.org Regular

Take it to a tech.

5. gienek

gienek SS.org Regular

Besideds ground wire, sometimes wiring can be done wrong and still guitar will be working, then you are getting 3/4 of sound + all crazy pops from switches + feedback issues

JustinRhoads1980 likes this.
  6. KnightBrolaire

pops from switches usually means they need to be cleaned with contact cleaner ime.
    fixing wiring issues should be pretty easy considering there's only 2 pickups and a master vol knob in the km7.
    Worst case if he's still having issues, rip out all the electronics and start fresh with new components. import guitars usually have shittier pots/switches.

7. Crimsonghost

Awesome! Thanks for the advice guys. I just needed to make sure I wasn’t crazy haha.

I’ll start by checking the solder joints and work from there then I’ll report back my findings.

8. JustinRhoads1980

are you a beginner with this stuff? If so it is always best to prob take it to a tech. I remember I had issues with my strat and went to GC and the guy whipped out some contact cleaner. and started shredding on the thing and he was like "what problem"

Good days, good days

9. Crimsonghost

I’ve tinkered around with guitars before. I’ve done a pickup install like once or twice so I have no problems getting in there to check things out but I also know my limitations.

Contact cleaner also sounds like a good starting point. Hopefully it’s something simple. The thing was just shipped across country so maybe something got banged around? Who knows.

10. Crimsonghost

Opened up the electronics cavity and found the culprit (I’m assuming). It looks like the pickups were taken out at some point and weren’t put back in properly. I’m not too knowledgeable with these these but it looks like the small white wire (ground?) isn’t connected to the pot. I’m just not 100% sure where to solder it back to.

11. KnightBrolaire

solder the ground wire to the side of the volume pot.

12. Crimsonghost

This thing is a hot mess. I’m going to disconnect and re do it all fresh. I pulled up the diagram from the Seymour Duncan website so I know what to do. Wish me luck! Lol

Kyle Jordan likes this.
  13. Lemonbaby

Lemonbaby SS.org Regular

+1 for re-soldering the electronics, that looks horrible. However, I wouldn't know of any physical concept that creates feedbacks due to an open ground wire...

14. JustinRhoads1980

What pickups are in this one? His new fishmans or the Seymour Duncans?

Also that fucking wiring is a cluster fuck! Holy shit. If you take that white wire and ground it to the vol pot like Knight said it should be fine, looks like we found the culprit. Also I would suggest that you still get that contact cleaner as it looks like there is something in there on top of the electronics. If it doesn't work after that let us know, and if you are at that point it would prob be best to take it to a tech to get a second pair of eyes on this.

Agreed! 100% man, absolutely disgusting solder job. Could also be because that control cavity is so small! I would think they would have a bit of extra space for the conveinence of it, I could not imagine having to start fresh in their, would be a pain in the ass.

15. Crimsonghost

It’s the Seymour Duncan’s. When I pulled up the schematic the wires were all going to the wrong places and for some reason there were a couple wires attached to a 3rd wire that clearly didn’t belong in there. One I started digging deeper it was a cluster. I just ripped everything out and started from scratch. Melted off the old solder and removed as much junk as I could.

I was never great at soldering but by the end of this project I felt like a pro.

As for the feedback, it sounds a lot better. My amp it at my drummers house but playing though biasfx with my studio monitors cranked I was getting the normal feedback that I could control unlike before where Where it wouldn’t stop.

Kyle Jordan and Ben Pinkus like this.
  16. JustinRhoads1980

glad to hear man! Sounded like that was a qc issue clusterfuck on that guitar

17. TonyFlyingSquirrel

TonyFlyingSquirrel Cherokee Warrior

I'd do a fresh wire job on it just to ensure everything is correct and cleanly done.
    I always inspect electronics for this when I get a new/old instrument.