New Fuji X - XT-1?

Discussion in 'Art, Media & Photography' started by Rook, Jan 20, 2014.

1. Rook

Rook Electrifying

[​IMG]

Allegedly this is coming in a few weeks, referred to by rumour mills as the 'XT-1', it might be weather sealed, have the fasted AF so far, have a huge EVF, and have some crazy continuous burst rate - a kinda super-rugged XE-1. If anything I like the fact that there's an ISO knob on top, very useful in a mini-SLR, OM-D type format though I understand why it wouldn't go so well on the rangefinder-esque X-Pro.

I'm excited sorta, could be a real OM-D killer and promises to be much cheaper.

I also see a 'Wi-Fi' button and a dedicated video record button on the front, nice, not that I'd ever use my X-Pro over my 6D for video.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2014
  2. Philligan

Philligan The White-Knuckler Contributor

I don't need that, but I want one. :lol:

I hope it has the same setup as the x100s, where it has all manual controls, and each knob has an "A" mode on it. Apparently I'm kinda OCD, because the idea of the Nikon Df having manual controls that are overridden by the mode dial drives me crazy haha.

That looks super comfortable, basically a digital OM-1/AE-1/etc. Shouldn't it have an APS-C sensor, too?

3. Rook

Rook Electrifying

Yes, it'll be a reasonably sizeable 1.5x crop APS-C judging by the lens, probably the X-Trans II out of the X100S with phase detect autofocus instead of the sketchy contrast on the X-Trans I.

And yeah, I can see A's on the shutter speed dial, ISO dial and aperture ring, Fuji's program system is pretty bloody intuitive to boot. I just wish I could set ISO to that dial on the back of my X Pro instead of having to press a button first hahahaha. Such a little niggle which I'm sure I'll get used to.

I'm an amateur photographer though, I could basically complain about anything :lol:

I can see this giving a firm kick in the teeth to the OM-D and Df though, beating both on price, the OMD on sensor size and the Nikon on functionality if it follows the usual X-Series layout. I won't be buying one, I like the rangefinder form factor, but I like where this is going.

4. Philligan

That's awesome. Any idea of what the pricing will be like? I'd seriously consider ditching Canon for this. The only thing really stopping me is the EVF, and that I've been asked a bit to do more formal photography for strangers, and like you said, a big DSLR will look more professional.

5. Tang

Tang Master of Chihuahuas

derp. wrong thread.

6. Rook

Rook Electrifying

Rumours say between the XE and X Pro series but here they cost about the same so I'd be surprised...

We'll find out in a week I guess.

7. Paul Reed Shred

Paul Reed Shred SS.org Regular

It almost has my attention because it could have its uses as a more "serious" camera, but it lost me because in my opinion, the Sony stuff has raised the bar. If Sony made cameras instead of technology I would be interested. If someone like Fuji or Canon pulled out a FF mirorless body in the same price range, then I would be interested.

8. Rook

Rook Electrifying

I thought I'd be all over the A7 but actually full frame mirrorless means you get a tiny body and short flange distance but you still need physically much bigger lenses. The whole time I have a full frame SLR, which is arguably better balanced and more feature packed in my case, a full frame mirror less saves me a bit of weight but still means pointing big lenses at people and carrying them round.

Fuji's APSC (1.5x) with fast glass is barely compact, it's about my limit for compactness I think. That's the benefit, and will always be the number one benefit of smaller sensors IMO. Sony's A7 will cost you double what a Fuji system will too haha.

9. Tang

Rook, as far as I know, the x100s only uses it phase detection system in GREAT light, otherwise it defaults to contrast detect.

10. Rook

Rook Electrifying

orly, that's very interesting indeed. That was the one thing with the X-Pro I was pining over but if it's only bright light who cares hahaha.

11. Philligan

If this is under $1400 like they're saying, I might be ditching my Canon stuff and switching. The battery grip should hopefully get the battery life closer to a DSLR, and I want one for portraits anyway. The glass has everything covered (they're releasing an 18-50 f2.8 :drool: and a tele zoom) that I'd want, the APS-C is apparently better at low light than Canon or Nikon crops, and the build is exactly what I was hoping the Df would have. And it's supposed to be weather sealed.

The only things I'm not sure about are the EVF and the fact that I don't know how long the system will be around - like how they just axed the one Sony line.

I've already got the T3 lined up to be sold when I'm ready to get the 70D, so all I'd need to worry about is unloading the 40/2.8 and 50/1.4.

Hmmmmmm...

edit: Not to mention, the battery grip would make it more professional looking for when I'm doing stuff for strangers. :lol:

12. Rook

Rook Electrifying

The Fuji's a great system, and the system's so adaptable and the market filled with it that even if they do kill it it won't matter. They won't kill it though, they have actually started to profit off the X series, they're less likely to drop it than ever.

The EVF on my X Pro is great and both the XE2 and this apparently have higher resolution, refresh rate and dynamic range, which is great. If there's gunna be a good EVF, this'll be it.

13. Philligan

Oh man. Okay. I've heard some rumours that it's going to be $1800, and if I was going to spend that kind of money I'd just get a 6D. But if it's around $1200 I'll seriously consider making the move.

14. Rook

Rook Electrifying

Ouch.

Now I'm glad I don't want one haha.

15. Philligan

From the FujiRumours website.

16. Tang

17. Philligan

Sweet Jesus, I really, really might be switching over to this.

$1299 for the body, $499 for the 35/1.4.

And later this year they're coming out with a 16-55/2.8 with weather sealing. :sharpie:

18. Rook

Rook Electrifying

I'm gunna sell my 35 1.4 in favour of the 23mm 1.4, I already have the 50mm length covered on my full frame and for the streets, where my particular Fuji excels, wider is better. Fuji are apparently planning a 16mm 1.4, so when that's out I'll chop in my 18mm f.2 and just use the 16 and 23, perfect.

These are a lot cheaper than I expected, about a grand, and not only is that 16-55 coming out, there'll also be a 55-140, and a 10-14 - it's the classic holy trinity of zooms.

Nice move Fuji, this is definitely gunna be noticed by the discerning fence-sitting pros.

EDIT: Oh jesus, this doesn't help...

http://fujicashback.co.uk

19. Philligan

Aww man, the lenses cost a lot more than I was expecting. :( I'm scared to see what the 16-55 2.8 is gonna run. I didn't realize how tiny it was, either - I was expecting something F2/AE-1 sized.

If I was getting this in addition to an SLR, I'd be all over it. Having to choose between one or the other, though, I'm not sure.

20. Rook

Rook Electrifying

I will say some of the lenses are expensive but to get equivalent quality or brightness on an SLR would need a bigger, heavier AND more expensive lens. The 35mm is a prime example, no pun intended.

Canon's 35mm 1.4 will cost you 3 times what the Fuji version will, not to mention canon's 24-70 or 70-200 2.8's...