New Fortin-designed Hiwatt/Maxwatt amp

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by HeHasTheJazzHands, Jan 26, 2018.

1. bnzboy

bnzboy Asian Dying

Yup. Mike already killed it with Randall Satan and it is a good enough proof for me to believe that MIC amps are ok. It is one amp that I will never ever sell.

2. prlgmnr

prlgmnr ...that kind of idea

On the subject of Matamp, there's a 1224 mkII on Reverb that is somewhat tickling my fancy, what are they like?

3. narad

narad SS.org Regular

It's hard to answer that -- I guess as a pedal platform for doom/sludgy stuff it'd be good. The gain is on that fuzzy/noisy spectrum, but I feel like it's not very friendly like modern Orange amps are. You don't just crank the gain and have a metal amp, etc., gain and volume are very closely related. You'd need an attenuator to really unleash if you live in an apartment like I do -- my attenuator's arrive early next week :)

The most interesting sounds in there without pedals are all sort of light to medium breakup on cleans, voiced dark. Can do a lot of 60s/70s low gain sorts of sound. The clean itself is really punchy.

I've seen inside it though and it's super well made. I just think it's sort of a more authentic old amp that, next to something like an Engl SE, really makes you struggle. Any toggle on an Engl makes an appreciable difference -- on the mkII there's tons of options but it's very difficult to hear any difference between them, at least at lower volumes.

4. technomancer

technomancer Gearus Pimptasticus Super Moderator

So as anticipated the specs on the amp are not finalized... The description for the preorder is from the prototype they showed at NAMM. Fortin is finalizing the design this month and it is being debuted at Frankfurt MusikMesse April 11-14.

From what Fortin said it will be 2 channel with a footswitchable tube gain stage boost, but I guess we'll have to wait and see what the actual specs are.

Kyle Jordan likes this.
  5. FourT6and2

FourT6and2 SS.org Regular

The cab/Fane speakers are going to be a must if you like the sound in these video clips. That's 50% of the secret sauce you're hearing. I was going to grab the Fortin Meshuggah amp at the next production run, but these piqued my interest as well. Maybe I need (want) both lol. Crap. But I don't want to have to buy another cabinet and I think this Maxwatt is going to heavily rely on the matching cab to sound the way it does in all these prototype clips...

Kyle Jordan likes this.
  6. kevdes93

kevdes93 Sassy

I owned a 1224 mkii for a while, great amp. Narad is spot on with his assessment

7. technomancer

Yeah I was actually going to be in on the first run of Meshuggah heads, had the page loaded a couple seconds after they went up and were still in stock... then I saw the payment by wire transfer nonsense and walked away. There is literally no reason for a properly run company to do business that way in this day an age.

From the email I got preorders on the Maxwatt will start early April (I would guess the 11th when it is debuted so specs will be available). I am still debating grabbing one, but leaning towards yes. I figure I'll try it with the cabs I have here and see how it is, and then if need be get the matching cab after the fact.

Kyle Jordan likes this.
  8. FourT6and2

Same here. I was about to grab one of the Meshuggah amps but the bank wire thing put me off. Seems Fortin just doesn't want to pay a credit processing fee. I guess I understand how that is just lost profits. But hey, ever buy a house? Or a car? Bank wires lol. Paying with a card means you get a tiny bit of buyer protection. But I think Fortin is a trustworthy builder at this point?

Anyway, I'm selling my Gemini so I have room for either this thing or the Meshuggah.

9. narad

narad SS.org Regular

You either die a trustworthy builder or you live long enough to see yourself become a BRJ/ViK.

If anything SSO has taught everyone that it's always worth having that protection. We haven't even got into the totally legitimate scenarios where you can get screwed over. Some guy on TGP was in one of those 3-5 year guitar builds and the luthier died. So either you take a huge loss or you take a widow to court -- super fun options.

10. technomancer

The difference being with the house or car you take possession immediately :lol: I like Mike a lot and believe he is trustworthy. I've also seen way too many "stable" businesses fold to ever do business that way. Maybe if he has them built and ready to ship I would wire transfer... but when they are still claiming they need full payment up front to cover parts costs I'll pass.

Right now I'm just debating the Juno or the Maxwatt... or a killer PRS that popped up used :lol:

Kyle Jordan likes this.
  11. FourT6and2

I do agree. If Fortin doesn't have the cash on hand to build the amps and sell them from inventory rather than paying up front, it's kind of weird. I'm willing to bet he does have all the parts though, since he says the amps use NOS components. But who knows. Either way, if you want to be in this game and grab one of these amps, that's the only way to do it until one winds up on the used market for $5,000 lol

Hopefully this Maxwatt amp goes a different direction...

12. technomancer

Yep well aware. I'm just not comfortable with being an accident or medical event away from being out $3k+ :lol: Is it likely? No. I just don't want the amp badly enough to take the risk. I say that as a huge fan of Mike's work too.

Maxwatt seems to take credit cards and isn't asking for the full balance up front :lol:

cwhitey2 likes this.
  13. Kyle Jordan

Kyle Jordan Ace of Knaves

KSR Artemis, Juno, and Maxwatt are my three frontrunners for the upcoming year with a JP2C, Satan, and a Thrasher being the second level possibilities.

technomancer likes this.
  14. technomancer

15. Kyle Jordan

Kyle Jordan Ace of Knaves

16. bulb

bulb SS.org Regular

I thought the Maxwatt was cool when I tried it, but I actually thought the KSR Juno did that vibe better and with more versatility. Probably gonna pick that Juno up eventually.

protest likes this.
  17. Mwoit

Mwoit SS.org Regular

50% of Maxwatt pre-orders now cancelled

AirForbes1, narad and StevenC like this.
  18. technomancer

The Thrasher was quite a while ago but off the top of my head the JP2C is a thicker amp. The Thrasher was very cool but was IIRC pretty interesting to dial in.

Pffft dude you have $5k watches, the correct answer here is to buy both... give that rockstah boost to both companies :lol:

Veldar and Kyle Jordan like this.
  19. OliOliver

OliOliver SS.org Regular

There's currently a Thrasher on eBay UK for £750 (very very cheap compared to new, although obviously, completely unavailable new anyway). I'm half tempted, some demos sound great but you can tell there's a lack in the low end. It's hard to tell if that's due to the way it's been dialled in to tighten it up, or it's just a characteristic of the amp. It still tempts me even though I don't have that cash to just throw about.

20. bnzboy

bnzboy Asian Dying

If Thrasher is anything like Satan, it has tons of low end with the depth and low dialed in right