New Fear Factory coming next year

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by HeHasTheJazzHands, Dec 4, 2018 at 8:01 PM.

1. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

2. BusinessMan

BusinessMan SS.org Regular

Jeez finally. Always love me some fear factory. I really liked everything from mechanize and forward (industrialist was the first one I really listened too, although I’d hear a song or two before hand but industrialist got me into them).

3. Zer01

Zer01 SS.org Regular

Well that was unexpected! The consensus seemed to be they were finished...again.

4. manu80

manu80 Jackson for life !

the human/machine concept gets old but always some good riffs there, i'l check it out...

5. TheShreddinHand

TheShreddinHand Uber Stringer

I know right, that was the last I saw too so was pleasantly surprised by the news yesterday of the new album.

BusinessMan likes this.
  6. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

oh my god! Im actually hyped for this for some reason.

Bring it on!.

7. HeHasTheJazzHands

I remember hearing the same thing. I forgot what spread those rumors. Besides COW still being salty about everything. :lol:

Also if it's as good as Genexus, I'll be happy. Although I'm hoping for more Mechanize.

BrailleDecibel likes this.
  8. BrailleDecibel

BrailleDecibel 55.0r6 R36ul@r

I'm sure he will get his comeuppance in the lyrics someplace on this new album, Fear Factory are the best at Christian-dissing, besides the entire Black Metal genre.

SD83 likes this.
  9. SJShinn

SJShinn SS.org Regular

They were pretty good at Dino-dissing around the Archetype era as well, lol.

10. BrailleDecibel

Now they just need to get the Burton-burning out of their system, so that they can all kiss and make up. :lol:

11. Vyn

Vyn Not a Sparkly Vampire Contributor

This thread started a FF binge playlist at work yesterday which is continuing into today :p

12. Kaura

Kaura #Make:cool:SmileyCoolAgain

This thread made me just listen to the Genexus and Obsolete front to back. Both great albums. Obsolete probably being my personal favorite.

BusinessMan, BrailleDecibel and Vyn like this.
  13. Ralyks

Ralyks The One Who Knocks Contributor

I really wish, at the very least, they'd get Ray back. Then again, it sounds like they did Gene Hoglan dirty...

I dunno, after being obsessed with these guys during my teenage/early to mid 20's, I honestly didn't listen to much after Archetype. What I've heard after Dino returned wasn't bad, I just never got into it.

But man, Demanufacture will always hold a special place for me. I could listen to Zero Signal and Pisschrist on repeat for hours.

Chiba666 and BrailleDecibel like this.
  14. BrailleDecibel

Replace "Demanufacture" with "Obsolete", and "Archetype" with "Transgression", and I am right there with ya. Though "Fear Campaign" and "Controlled Demolition" are a lot of fun to jam on the geetar now and then. :lol:

BusinessMan likes this.
  15. BusinessMan

BusinessMan SS.org Regular

Ray and gene were good fits for the band. However I really liked genexus, so I think their drummer is still pretty great (mike heller was it?)

16. HeHasTheJazzHands

Yeah it was him

Its funny. Because Mike's been in the band since 2011 or 2012?. Genexus was the first album he was actually on. Industrialist was all programmed drums.

Also is Ray retired from music? Legit have heard nothing from him since Arkaea. While COW has tried to do everything including Machine Head

17. BrailleDecibel

I have to respectfully disagree, and here is why...no guarantee that I am actually correct on any of this, but I've had some thoughts on FF's current drummer situation for a minute now, and save for my brother and I having random discussions on it (usually while blasting either "Obsolete" or "Archetype" tracks, with others sprinkled in :lol: ), I haven't really shared my opinion with anyone else, for the most part.

Now, onto my main point...is Mike Heller a killer drummer? Shit yes, dude can somehow keep up with drum parts written by both Raymond Herrera and Gene "Fuckin" Hoglan, so there really is no question on that one. But is Mr. Heller a good fit for FF, feel-wise? If you go and watch live footage of just about any Fear Factory Song (in capitals because let's face it, these dudes are like the AC/DC of extreme metal, not all the time, and that is a bit of a poor comparison given albums where they do change shit up, see "Transgression", "Digimortal", and the use of programmed drums on "The Industrialist", but for the most part, these dudes have maybe 3 different songwriting styles, max :lol: ) that features any of the 3 drummers side-by-side, it is at least my experience that 'ol Mikey has the absolute least feel of the 3, by a very large order of magnitude.

When Ray or Gene played those songs live, both of them were in it to win it with each song, going nuts back there behind the kit, and it reflected in the music. Keep in mind, everything I am saying here, for the most part, relates to their live show, given that going from about "Digimortal" onwards, save for "Transgression", their studio drums are so processed and quantized to shit that it could be me back there playing it, and I can't even drum, and it would still come up roses on a recording. TBH, I would have preferred my horrid non-drumming, unprocessed, over the horsepill that was the programmed drums on "The Industrialist".

Anyways, I digress, and to keep this from turning into (even more of) a novel, I will wrap it up with this...is this problem entirely Mr. Heller's fault? Shit no, dude has to play all of FF's live stuff to a click track, and that right there robs a lot of feel from a band's live show, IMO, no matter how you slice it. You can jam as hard as you want between each click of the track, sure, but at least to my ears, live music sounds better when it features a natural push-pull of tempo that comes with the "feel" of a drummer at any given point in the song. But then again, to the best of my familiarity, Gene also had to use clicks...but damn it, he still sounded like the Atomic Clock we all know and love, even within those confines. Mike Heller sounds, and looks, at least to me, and in 95% of the live videos I have seen of him, like he'd rather be anywhere else, even in front of a pay toilet with raging diarrhea and no money, than playing the set he's playing, and that, friends, is where I have to take issue and respectfully disagree.

If FF is gonna refuse to get Raymond back, and have burned bridges with Gene, they at least need to get a drummer back there that can capture the feel that radiated off of either of them when they jammed out with FF, rather than serving up a rote recital of just the notes hit in any given song, as at least IMO, I am hearing, and even seeing, in spades with Mike. Granted, being the most expendable member in a band with a door that revolves faster than Dino's picking hand mid-riff in the start of "Securitron" is hardly an incentive to kick ass back there, but that is also not Mike's fault, and I am taking that into consideration as well, or at least trying my best to, haha. If FF is gonna get me in the door at their show if they hit the Northwest, they need somebody back there that kills it in the face, otherwise, what is the difference from staying home and listening to the albums? Save Burton's singing? :lol:

TL;DR: It don't mean a thing, if it ain't got that swing!!

To the best of my knowledge, Ray works in the video game industry somehow, and is indeed not doing music at the moment. Christian is in Powerflo and Sunflower Dead, which is...ummmm...an "A" for effort, but sweet Jesus, do those bands not do a thing for me. :lol:

prlgmnr likes this.
  18. NorCal_Val

NorCal_Val SS.org Regular

19. duffbeer33

duffbeer33 PRS axe man Contributor

Awesome. While my musical tastes have certainly evolved, I still get a ton of nostalgia from FF music. Reliving the old glory days of blasting Obsolete back in high school. They wrote some epic tunes back in the day. I'll be giving this new album at least a few spins.

Chiba666 and BrailleDecibel like this.
  20. vortex_infinium

vortex_infinium SS.org Regular

Damn too bad Dino never found his old ESP woulda been killer to hear it on some new material.