New DIY stuff day (Pedals and things)

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by mnemonic, Nov 20, 2017.

1. mnemonic

mnemonic Custom User Title

Haha, I do like the utilitarian look.

I got a cheap Dymo Omega on Amazon, great label maker but the letters are really far apart so that limits what I can fit on a pedal.

So I bought a Motex E-101 since the letter wheels are replaceable and the characters are closer together. It’s much worse build quality than the Dymo and I figure it’s just gonna break in half one of these days, but so far, so good.

2. buriedoutback

buriedoutback SS.org Regular

Super cool!
    I'm just hitting order on 4 of the same board on ebay. I'm grabbing a couple project boxes and power jacks too - all from "Worldchips" ebay store. I built myself a 5150 foot switch a couple weeks ago (pics later) and now I want to try 1 (or 4) of these tiny amps. I think this will be a cool little amp to use with my line 6 hd500. I know a couple dudes that will probably be interested in these as well, hence why I'm grabbing 4. Plus I'm too cheap to buy a 44Mag or similar.

mnemonic likes this.
  3. Shask

Shask SS.org Regular

I saw it posted that the poweramp in the Boss Katana is a ST TDA7293V. I wonder how that is related to your chip. It sounds similar, as far as the part number.

mnemonic likes this.
  4. Petar Bogdanov

Petar Bogdanov SS.org Regular

Thanks, I was wondering what kind to buy and this post helped me a lot. I ended up getting a Dymo, because I like how the text looks. It's a lot of fun!

mnemonic likes this.
  5. mnemonic

Just like me haha

Looks like the 7293 is class AB so that’s a major difference. Much higher voltage too. But I don’t know what else to compare on the data sheet so maybe there are other similarities

http://www.st.com/content/ccc/resou...df/jcr:content/translations/en.CD00001887.pdf

Looks like there are some boards on eBay, they cost more though. They’re also a lot bigger, big caps and a giant heatsink.

6. buriedoutback

buriedoutback SS.org Regular

Last edited: Mar 10, 2018
    mnemonic likes this.
  7. mnemonic

Finally got around to ordering parts for the Vh4 pedal clone earlier in the week and got to building it this afternoon. Annoyingly I realized on thursday that I ordered a A25K pot rather than the required B25K pot for the mid control. I ordered the correct one (£1.30 part, £1.75 shipping, hooray) that I was hoping would arrive today, but no luck. I guess I'll have to complete it monday.

Why are angled pcb mount pots so hard to find? I could only get one of the values I needed.

IMG_1376.JPG

This is about as far as I can get today. The space for the caps is pretty small, so I had to do some creative leg bending for the 47u's near the charge pump. Luckily I could find everything else I needed in the correct size.

IMG_1377.JPG

The official build docs also were completed at some point so I double-checked part values, and it looks like two part values were changed since the original PCB was done. The 110 ohm resistors marked on the PCB are now 1k ohm on the schematic. Everything else is the same.

Get hyped for the paint job, I tried taping it off and doing a two-tone thing.

technomancer, nedheftyfunk and Shask like this.
  8. LiveOVErdrive

LiveOVErdrive CNC hack

What kind of paint do you use?

9. mnemonic

I just use real cheap spray paint from some privately-owned £1 store in a rough part of town. The brand is called “151 Spray Paint”. I’ve found its good enough (sticks, and the finish is fine) and it’s more cost effective than buying a £7 can of name-brand paint.

I haven’t had to prime any of my boxes yet either, I just sand them clean, wash them off and dry with a hair dryer, then immediately paint.

10. mnemonic

Got my pot, pedal completed after work.

IMG_1391.JPG

IMG_1395.JPG

I did manage to label the bottom row of controls backwards, I thought I made a mistake when the 'volume' control didn't change the volume at all. Then when the 'deep' control did, i decided to consult the layout.

I peeled off the label and put a new one on, managed to chip the silver while I was at it. maybe I'll touch it up at some point.

IMG_1397.JPG

It sounds really good! Right now I've just run it into my Axe FX, and into my Matrix solidstate poweramp, (just using a PEQ block to simulate a tube poweramp - big 5db peak filter at 110 hz, and a few db high shelf). I'm too lazy to turn on my tube poweramp as its getting late now, I'll give that a try tomorrow. Only used the 'poweramp out' so far, not tried the 'drive out'

So far, it sounds really cool. Lots of volume on tap. It has a ton of gain on tap, and sounds decently tight without a boost. Its got this weightyness and grind to the midrange that I definitely recognize from the Vh4 and Herbert models in the Axe FX. Its hard to describe, but sounds pretty cool.

The EQ is pretty functional, nice to have a Depth and Presence control, just for some extra eq control.

The bad parts - only things that are my fault. The tape job wasn't great so the black paint bled a bit and made the line not so clean. Also the red LED isn't very bright since I bought a bunch of LEDs that have an unusually high forward voltage, I should have used a lower value current limiting resistor. Its fine in my bedroom but it would be hard to see under sunlight.

Also, when using the poweramp out, the bypass switch operates as a 'mute' switch. It works like a normal bypass switch with the 'drive' output though. Not sure if that is intended or not, I was hoping that it would be a normal bypass in both modes, so I could string together a few preamps in front of a poweramp. I guess I'll need a true bypass looper after all.

11. Shask

Shask SS.org Regular

Looks and sounds nice! How do you like it compared to the BE-OD clone?

I still have my PCB, and I noticed he had the final instructions up on the site. I will probably build mine this summer. I did several around Christmas, but really haven't had time to build anything the last few months. He has a few new ones also I might order sometime.

12. mnemonic

I think it sounds a bit more amp-like than the BE-OD, though they’re not super easy to compare as the BE-OD really needs to be into a clean channel, whereas I’ve run the vh4 just direct into a power amp. I still haven’t tried the drive output on it.

The BE-OD is tighter and probably better for metal tones though, the vh4 isn’t as tight and defined in the bottom end, it wouldn’t be my first choice for death metal or something, but then again neither would a real-deal VH4 amp.

I do like the midrange character of the vh4 pedal more than the BE-OD though, but that’s just personal preference. He grindyness I mentioned before is pretty fun. Also, much more eq control with the vh4.

Shask likes this.
  13. technomancer

technomancer Gearus Pimptasticus Super Moderator

So finally finished the Chugga Pre this weekend. No pics yet, but I'll get some sooner or later :lol:

Playing it side by side with the Fortin 33, tones are pretty much identical once the Chugga is dialed in but the Fortin seems like it may have a hair more boost.

I've got an Angry Andy and Valhalla on order from PedalPCB now as well as some transformers for a couple bigger projects.

Kyle Jordan, Shask and mnemonic like this.
  14. mnemonic

Good to hear they sound more or less the same, I guess we all figured as much but it’s cool to have confirmation.

Are you building an amp? I’d like to build a Ceriatone yeti or something some day.

15. technomancer

Yep I'm diving into the deep end of the pool... Not sure if I'm doing a Friedman clone or an Aldrich first, but I've got the boards for the Friedman and am working on a layout for the Aldrich.

A couple quick pics of the Chugga. I'm going to label it in silver paint pen as soon as I get around to picking one up.

16. mnemonic

Ooh, I like those green caps.

17. technomancer

They're Nichicons.

18. Shask

Shask SS.org Regular

What settings on the Chugga Pre did you use to emulate the 33? Did you have a Grind also? I am curious how similar it is also.

19. Shask

Shask SS.org Regular

Nice! Looks pretty similar to mine!

20. technomancer

Treble all the way up, volume all the way up, bass not quite off and adjust to taste but less than 1/4. I've got the Grind but not sure the TC will do it as it REALLY cuts bass... I definitely prefer the 33. This was compared to the 33 all the way up.

0rimus and Kyle Jordan like this.