New Custom in the works...need some advice on wood selection

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by xXxPriestessxXx, Nov 4, 2009.

Guitar options

1. Purpleheart with set-neck

5 vote(s)
    18.5%
  2. Dyed Ash with set-neck

5 vote(s)
    18.5%
  3. Prupleheart with bolt on neck

6 vote(s)
    22.2%
  4. Dyed Ash with bolt on neck

11 vote(s)
    40.7%
  1. xXxPriestessxXx

xXxPriestessxXx One Among the Fence Contributor

I am going to be the owner of a beautiful guitar from J Cedric Customs (Randy on here) :wub:, and I am trying to decide on the body wood. The guitar modeled after an Explorer, but with a much thinner neck for my small hands. I want the finished guitar to be a purplish-pink. I was thinking of going with purple heart because it is really nice but kinda pricey and hard to work with. There is also the option of dying it using Transtint on Ash to get the same result.
    So SS.org what do you think would be best?

Also we are at a toss up on the neck. Set-neck or bolt on?

2. pink freud

pink freud SS.org Regular

Too bad you aren't doing a quilted top. You could have done a purple base with pink thrown over it.

I say ash and set neck.

xXxPriestessxXx likes this.
  3. ohio_eric

ohio_eric Contributor

Ash body but the neck joint I don't think is that big a deal really. As long as it's well-constructed and comfortable it's all good.

4. caughtinamosh

caughtinamosh SS.org-er

I have to say "dyed ash with bolt on neck." Ash is tried and tested (cliche fail :rolleyes:) as a body wood, and bolt-on necks offer great reversability. :D

5. Fred

Fred SS.org Regular

I'd go for ash too, but would only go for bolt-on out of personal preference... That one's really up to you!

6. xXxPriestessxXx

xXxPriestessxXx One Among the Fence Contributor

Thanks guys for the input. I am really excited since my template is finished and we are moving into actually getting it made. I will be sure to post the pics when it is done. :)

7. Scythe001

Scythe001 SS.org Regular

Dyed ash, but most importantly, set neck!

8. Heeboja

Heeboja Crazy Finn that is

I'm with Ohio_eric on this one. The neck joint doesn't really matter. I'd go with a neck through my self but bolt on is always my second favorite. Call me crazy but I don't like set necks. As long as it's comfortable for you and your hands it really doesn't matter if it's a set or bolt. Ofcourse if you break a neck bolt on is good for replacing it. But breaking a neck without intending to do so is quite hard.

If you want more resonance: Bolt on
    If you want easier playability: Set neck

ofcourse those two depend completely on the heel.

Do post us pictures of the making of. We like to see some luthier in action shots :p

9. Demiurge

Demiurge Intrepid Jackass

A purpleheart explorer body is going to be heavy as hell, but would look awesome. A veneer or a top-plate (with weight relief underneath if needed) could get you the same look without the need for back surgery later in life.

Regarding bolt-on vs. set neck, it's a matter of preference, I guess, but I'm thinking that a set neck joint could be sculpted a whole lot more for upper-fret access.

Randy likes this.
  10. The Echthros

The Echthros Stupid, apparently

if youre just looking to have a guitar that looks like an explorer then the ash body with I'm assuming to have a maple neck is a good articulate combo of woods. However, if you want a guitar that is going to actually SOUND like an explorer you should go all mahogany. I'd also suggest a set neck over a bolt on. Still want something a bit more articulate you could have a maple set neck/bolt on and mahogany body. that is actually my favorite combo.

11. Randy

Randy !ǝɯ ʇɐ ʞooן Super Moderator

My thoughts exactly. :agreed:

Also, the suggestion about the veneer/top is really ingenious. I could do something like a 50/50 (ash->purpleheart) or 1/2" PH top->1 1/2" ash.

Tis' an epic combination indeed. :agreed:

One of the motivations in this build, though, is to try something "different". I haven't posted a lot of my project just yet (I'm waiting until I have a few more completed), but one of the things I've been trying to brand myself doing is experimenting with different wood combination and construction methods. Lots of padauk, walnut, bloodwood, wenge, and even some purpleheart. I'm still feeling things out, but I like working outside of 'the-norm'; so, a purpleheart explorer seems within that theme.