New computer time...maybe. Opinions?

Discussion in 'Computers, Electronics, IT & Gaming' started by steinmetzify, Jun 24, 2017.

1. steinmetzify

steinmetzify CHUG & SLUDGE

Not up on computers, and know nothing about them component wise.

This would be for music production...PC only. I'm used to it and don't really want to switch to a Mac.

My question is about PC power. I'm looking at the differences between something like a Creation Station from Sweetwater:

https://www.sweetwater.com/creation_station/

Or something like this from VisionDAW:

https://www.visiondaw.com/store/pc/products.asp

My problem being that I'm less and less about guitar/bass lately and moving more towards scoring things/sound design....I'm using Kontakt and some of the libraries for the orchestral stuff are fucking HUGE; enough that it's taxing my ancient laptop and hitting 100% on the CPU and going to disk, which means an awful lot of stop/start/stutter when loading big projects.

Is there something out there that's comparable? Are these just computer type scam things and a Dell desktop would work just as well? Anyone have any experience with this type of thing, and what are you running for this kind of stuff?

Appreciate any input here....less $ spent means more $ for sound libraries lol.

2. Pav

Pav ???

Does portability matter to you? Really the only unique feature of those PCs is that they're all built into rackmounted cases, so you could stick your computer right into your rig and take it with you anywhere. If you don't care about that aspect and want a fixed workstation, I would try looking for a more conventional desktop with comparable hardware. The higher-end versions of those PCs have some nice beefy hardware but you could build something like that yourself for about half the price they're asking. I'm sure you could find a Dell or something that gets the job done for less money.

3. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

That seems like a ton of money for basically for a pretty standard PC in a rackmount case. I'm not super up on modern PC hardware either, but I have zero doubts you could build something that would perform perfectly well for audio for <$1k. Especially if you're doing almost entirely digitally, the noise-in-the-room that the case makes won't make much difference. And rack hardware only matters if the PC ever moves. None of the specs on those machines strike me as "audio-specific". I mean, outside of treating the case to be quieter, what exactly makes a computer DAW-friendly? I'd say just go about it like any other non-task-specific PC. Pick a budget, then build or find the machine that gives you as much spec as you can fit within it. Just load up on RAM, fast disk space, and a good CPU. Put the money you saved towards room treatment and monitors.

My PC at home is something like 6 years old and I've not felt the need to upgrade it for DAW purposes. It's approaching time to upgrade for gaming purposes maybe.

4. steinmetzify

Appreciate it fellas. Looking around. Thanks.

5. steinmetzify

Grabbed a Dell 15 7000 with the newer screen. i7, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD.

Got a 2TB external for storage. Should slay hard over what I'm currently using lol.

Thanks for the tips, guys.

crankyrayhanky, Pav and TedEH like this.
  6. Señor Voorhees

Señor Voorhees SS.org Regular

Good processor, decent amount of ram, and decent storage. That's all you need for an audio related rig. (provided you have an interface already.)

Looks like you made out well. I7's are great processors, 16gb ram isn't shabby, and you've got plenty of storage.

steinmetzify likes this.
  7. steinmetzify

They ran a sale too....that comp plus a 27" monitor for just over a grand. Monitor showed up a couple days ago and is great. Eventually going to run a dual setup with the 24" I already had.

Comp shows tomorrow and then begins the onerous task of moving everything over.

Actually decided I'm only going to run Kontakt, Reaper, the Slate stuff and the 4 Mercuriall plugins I was using. If I can't get it done with that stuff I have zero business calling myself a musician lol.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2017
  8. BlackMastodon

BlackMastodon \m/ (゚Д゚) \m/ Contributor

I've built a few gaming PCs for friends and I really don't think you need more than 16 GB of RAM for most computer applications, but heavy audio recording and processing may be different. Either way, that should be a solid PC for you.

steinmetzify and aesthyrian like this.
  9. steinmetzify

Dude I'm running 8-10 tracks of 6-7 instances of Kontakt on each track, heavy orchestral stuff, AND using the Slate stuff on each track and the Master, and it doesn't even hiccup. I'm impressed for what it cost me...plus I still have almost 300GB on the SSD and the 2TB external is 1% full.

Think I'm set for a minute. Plus it's got a red lit keyboard and looks dope as fuck when recording at night. :lol:

BlackMastodon likes this.
  10. Señor Voorhees

Señor Voorhees SS.org Regular

Yeah, 16gb of ram isn't bad. Certainly didn't mean to imply it was. Hell, I was running eight until like a week ago. When you run a shitload of huge libraries it makes a difference though. Before I picked up real guitars, I would always use huge guitar sample libraries that would eat up one or two gb. Plus orchestral stuff, and full SD libraries... It'd go quick. lol

Personally the only reason I want 16gb more is for aesthetcis. I want all my dimm slots filled with gaudy rgb ram.

BlackMastodon and steinmetzify like this.
  11. steinmetzify

No man, didn't take it like that. Was just saying it was enough for what I'm doing and a shit ton better than the 4 I had before this lol. No worries. It's working out fine.

I could see running some of the huge Spitfire libraries maybe being a problem in tandem with everything else but I'm not there yet. In that case I'd deffo go to 32GB.

12. Edika

Edika SS.org Regular

The only thing I'd suggest is keep the SSD drive only for the operating system. They have a certain amount of erase/write cycles and after a certain performance percentage drops they need replacement. Not that magnetic discs are not prone to failure but they're not that sensitive to erase/write cycles.

And the good thing with a PC is that if you see that your RAM is not enough you can always add another 16GB with not that much of an additional cost.

13. narad

narad SS.org Regular

^^ That's not bad advice but a bit out-dated in that a modern SSD's write limit is high enough that an average user isn't going to come anywhere close to the write limit until the usefulness of the drive has long been exceeded.

14. steinmetzify

Yeah, checked around online before I bought, not really too concerned with it.