New Camera Day - Canon 70D

Discussion in 'Art, Media & Photography' started by Philligan, Mar 4, 2014.

1. Philligan

Philligan The White-Knuckler Contributor

Just for kicks, I took some awful cell phone pictures comparing the 70D to Dawn's SL1/100D. Both with 50s - Dawn's got the plastic fantastic. It doesn't look like *that* much of a size difference, but man, you can feel it. :lol:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Tang

Tang Master of Chihuahuas

Does that control wheel select focus points by turning or is there am up-down-left-right feature to it?

3. Philligan

There's an 8-way d-pad within the wheel. The wheel itself is awesome - on the T3, in manual, you'd have to change the shutter speed with the only click wheel, and hold a function button to change the aperture with the same wheel.

The D-pad's a little awkward to reach, and I'd love to try a 5D with the nub toggle, but it's still a huge improvement and I could definitely live with it.

4. Rook

Rook Electrifying

It just looks like a 6D, only the 6 has no magnify buttons on the too right, just a single one by the Q button that makes the wheel toggle zoom.

The 5D3 nobby nob is ok, I prefer the D Pad personally. Even the 5D2 has a nicer joystick than the 5D3 I think haha, we use 5D3's at my work. 2 5D3's, the 24-70 2.8 IS II, the 70-200 2.8 IS II and the 16-35 2.8, faptastic.

5. Philligan

Hooray for holy trinities. My dad got my T3, and he's looking at the budget trinity: 18-55, 55-250, 50 1.8. :lol:

As much as I shouldn't buy tonnes of gear I can't afford, I think my ideal wedding setup would be 70-200 F4 L for ceremonies, so I can not get in the way, and 18-35 1.8 for receptions, so I can get close and still keep the shutter speed relatively high.

I'm hoping I can swing the 18-35 in a couple months or so, and if I get paid at all for shoots in the summer it's going towards a 70-200.

6. Rook

Rook Electrifying

Sounds like a solid plan.

7. Tang

I'm second shooting a wedding next month and my plan is to rent a K3 (dat switchable AA filter), the Sigma 35 1.4 and Pentax's 77 1.8. All primes, baby.

Phil, when do you start shooting weddings?

8. Philligan

I forget, I think he said May? I've gotta double check haha. I move back to Sarnia at the end of April (we're moving back into our parents' houses for the next school year to help save for the wedding), and I think they start pretty much as soon as I get home.

There's one good camera shop in Sarnia (pretty much like Henry's only local, and the guy who owns it is super nice) and I think it more caters to pros, so I'm really hoping they do rentals. As long as it's under $100, I think I'm gonna rent the 18-35 for the first wedding if they have it, and if not, I'll get the 17-55 2.8IS.

I figure I'll try a zoom for a wedding, and depending on how much zooming I do, maybe I'll try a prime for the next one. I just know I'll have some trouble shooting a wedding entirely on a 50mm on a crop sensor. :lol:

9. Rook

Rook Electrifying

Having shot events (not weddings :O) even though I'm a big prime guy I wouldn't risk it, when time matters and you just gotta nail the shot, I always borrow zooms.

Not saying you should, but my artistic vision only matters a little bit, it's 95% just get the damn shot hahaha. I don't think I could be doing with the pressure of shooting a wedding right now haha! Just shooting events you wouldn't think were such a huge deal is tense enough, I don't need the stress hahaha.

I'd say you have two great ranges there, in 35mm terms the 24-70/70-200 combo is bread and butter for weddings and events, sling a second body over your shoulder with a nice prime if you want maybe.

10. Promit

Promit SS.org Regular

Weddings are all about the 2.8 zooms - ultrawide, standard, and tele. Of course those are heavy and expensive but oh well.

11. Philligan

On a full frame they'd be perfect, but since it's a crop, I'd like something wider and with a wider aperture to get the same feel. Hence the Sigma 1.8. :)

In a perfect world, I'd have the 6D and 24-70 2.8. But, sadly, that's out of my budget, and I can do the 70D and Sigma for around the price of a 6D body alone.

I saw earlier this week that the 6D's on sale at Henry's, too, and I came *so* close to checking it out, but I reminded myself that I'd be screwed as soon as I want a quality zoom.

I'll hopefully be done school and settling into a career job by the time the next generation of full frames comes along, so we'll see what happens then.

12. Tang

Promit: definitely agree about 2.8 zooms being the standard for wedding work. The only reason I'm rolling with primes when I second shoot is because my main really likes my work and primes are what I tend to favor. If I were main or solo shooting you bet your ass I'm zooming all day.

13. Philligan

^I'd love it if I ended up being fine with primes for weddings. The range a zoom gives you is nice, but I basically learned how to take pictures on a 50mm, and I'm used to moving around to get the shot I want. I have more trouble remembering to zoom. :lol:

That's kinda what I'm thinking with the 18-35. I can use the zoom when I need, and when I'm just out shooting for fun, I've basically got 18, 24, 28, and 35mm 1.8 primes all at the same time.

14. Promit

Promit SS.org Regular

18-35 seems like an awesome wedding lens to me.

15. Rook

Rook Electrifying

^Agreed.

Realistically, if I got offered a couple of wedding jobs I'd invest in a used 70-200 IS (version 1) or a non IS version, both can be had for well under half the cost of the IS2, and You can cover the 24-70 range with all sorts of options. I'd say the ultra wide end would be very much a luxury, I'd sooner buy a second body than worry about that.

I'm still thinking about the XT-1, the two 2.8 zooms for that have been announced but now word on price yet, looking forward to that.

16. ovlott

ovlott SS.org Regular

Congrats on the new Camera! My girlfriend has the same one and loves it to death. Henry's definitely has some awesome deals on used gear.

17. Philligan

Thanks man! Yeah haha I keep trying to find used stuff through them but it goes so fast. I'm really digging the 70D, but now I really want one of these and a 6D in tandem. :lol: