New Camera Day - Canon 70D

Discussion in 'Art, Media & Photography' started by Philligan, Mar 4, 2014.

1. Philligan

Philligan The White-Knuckler Contributor

Well, I finally got one. :yesway: Henry's had them on sale for $1149, which was cheaper than ordering online (even from Amazon.ca) and about the same price as smuggling one over the border.

[​IMG]

It feels so much better in my hands. I love the extra room and heft it has. The 50/1.4 finally balances really well - I'm sure the 75-300 (and any other large lenses when I get them) will balance a lot better, too.

I love the buttons, and can't wait to get the battery charged so I can get a feel for them and program what I need to. I think it defaults to back-button AF, so I'll turn of the shutter button AF if need be, and I think I'm good to go.

Here are some crappy cell phone pics trying to compare the two. This looked better in my mind when I thought to do this. :lol: The lighting in our rental is brutal, the few windows we do have face brick walls. :lol:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Promit

Promit SS.org Regular

Awesome. The 70D really shows the Rebel for the toy it is. Personally I'm not a big fan of how Canon handles lenses -- they reeeaaallly push you hard towards full frame optics (ex 17-40L) and then bait you into a 5D purchase since you've got the big glass. Of course if we're just talking about raw quality the lenses are phenomenal. Not too fond of Canon's video either, same deal again. They really want you to buy the big full frame cameras and they don't take the video seriously on the crop sensor models. Of course there's a whole culture now of using Canon lenses on non-Canon video cameras.

The 70D always felt really nice in the hand though, and it's great that you essentially get most of a 7D for cheap. The AF system is great. You did make one mistake though -- you can no longer blame crappy photos on the camera :lol: Put it to good use, learn all the ins and outs, and take some great photos. Should be great time for lots of outdoor work soon. Maybe even some BIF work? The 70D can handle it.

3. Philligan

Yeah, they've got some cool lenses, but they seem to be mostly concentrated either awesome L lenses or newer kit lenses. All the semi-pro grade lenses seem to be super outdated.

Funny you say that, because the next lens I'm planning on getting is the Sigma 18-35.

4. Promit

Promit SS.org Regular

Oh man, the 18-35 looks insane. Thinking of picking one up myself, plus a speed booster to m4/3 for when I'm doing video. I saw some people saying the 18-35 doesn't make sense with primes, but I see it the other way around -- especially when doing run and gun type video.

5. Rook

Rook Electrifying

Congratulations dude! now get a bloody 23 or 35 haha, I don't know how yu can stand using that 50 all the time SO TYT.

I kid, it's a lovely lens, but srsly get a 23 or something :D

Awesome cam, 70D is such a beast.

6. Tang

Tang Master of Chihuahuas

Dude, the body looks ffuuckkking killer. Really happy for you.

7. Philligan

I'm used to the 50, but it's really tight. :lol: It's not bad for street stuff because I'm used to being a few steps back, but it sucks for indoors. I'm really thinking Sigma 18-35 because it looks awesome, and I can avoid swapping between primes (I don't really want to use the zoom to compose, but at a wedding where I need to get shots I think it would still be nice to have).

The other thing I was thinking about was the Sigma 30mm 1.4 Art, or a 24, 28, or 35 from Canon. The 24 and 28 both seemed older like my 50, and I'm not crazy about buying old tech - I like the 50, but it could be sharper, focus more smoothly, and be tougher.

And the 35 is F2 with IS - still not bad, but I'd prefer a 1.4 so I can keep my shutter speed up. From the sounds of things, I'm gonna be mostly doing like candid, photojournalist-style shooting at weddings, especially the receptions.

The Sigma seems perfect because of the 1.8, and 35 is just long enough for portraity stuff, while the 18 end is just wide enough to get a little bit of distortion. I'm not totally set on it, but it's what I'm expecting to buy when I can afford a lens.

Thanks dude. :yesway: So far so good. We're working on dinner and the battery's almost charged. And I've got a midterm tomorrow. :lol:

Fun fact: I tried a D7100 before I paid for the 70D, because literally everyone from back home shoots Nikon, and I like the idea of better shadow recovery. But I just couldn't get along with the feel of it in my hands. It felt more cramped and boxy. And the AF-On button was over to the left instead of the right, which felt too weird haha.

8. Rook

Rook Electrifying

That 18-35 could be fun, it's just shy of the range of a wedding standard 24-70 and brighter too, can't comment on the quality of the lens though.

You'll just be straight shooting 7fps now for the rest of your life hehe.

9. straightshreddd

straightshreddd Dat Dood

Congrats, man. Let's see some sample shots. Some excellent and successful indie films have been shot on these, if I'm not mistaken. Could be the 7D.

I want a DSLR so bad. Is worth it to just save and get one of these, or work my way up from something simpler/cheaper to get my feet wet? It will be primarily for shooting film, but photos as well.

10. Philligan

Well, got 'er all set up. Back-button AF is on, and for now I've set the Custom mode to shoot Large JPG instead of RAW, for family snapshots and stuff. I took a bunch of those in Florida, and haven't really had the time to batch-process 2000 raw files. :lol: JPG would be great because I could pick out the RAWs and throw them where they need to be, then just slap the JPGs onto a flash drive and play them on the TV.

Another fun thing: there's a tiny, unlabelled button sort of on the underside of the lens mount - kinda in between the grip and lens mount. Right now I've got that set to enable Servo AF when I press it and the AF button, and keep the standard AF mode to One Shot. :yesway:

That's what I was thinking. I'd like a little more reach, like the 17-55, but the 1.8 aperture is worth more to me than 2.8 + IS.

The only thing I'm worried about is the talk of dodgy AF, even on the Art lenses. I'll probably just try one out in store. The 18-35 would be cool, or just the 30 1.4. I'll try just 30 on the kit T3's old kit lens and see how I get along with that vs having some zoom.

It would be nice if I could stick to Canon. I'd really consider a 24 or 28, but f2.8 + IS means some crazy slow shutter speeds, not the greatest for people photography. If I stick with Canon it'll probably be a 35, because f2 is close enough to 1.8, and I've got the IS if I want it.

Thanks dude. :yesway: I'm not too too sure, but I know the big one I heard about was Silent House. It was Spanish, or Portuguese, and they used a 5D mkII. I'm bummed - they claimed the whole movie was shot in one take, but the 5D can't film more than 30 minutes in one go. :lol:

Honestly, I regret starting with the T3. If you're not sure how much you'll like photography, I don't know if I'd suggest jumping to the 70D, just because at ~$1200 for the body only that's a ton of money. Like buying a DC800 and hoping you'll like 8 strings. If you didn't really get into it, and were outside of your return period, you'd either be selling it at a loss or you'd have a really big, heavy, expensive point and shoot hanging around.

If I could do it again, I would have started with the T3i (T5i if I had the extra cash). It's a lot sturdier than the T3 and has a bit better AF, and I think a few more buttons. One of those would grow with you longer, and if you find out early on you really like photography and want to stick with it, return it and get the 70D. :yesway:

11. Promit

Promit SS.org Regular

The Canon 7D is kind of a shoddy video camera. People use it, sure, but I think that's due to convenience or ignorance. A 5DII is amazing for video, but none of the crop sensor Canons produce nice looking video without taking drastic steps.

Sony has pretty decent video (SLT or NEX), Nikon has good video quality but the bodies have stupid obnoxious bugs that ruin it. Panasonic has absolutely the best video quality, by a long shot, if you're open to mirrorless cameras. I use an SLT-A77 for a lot of my field work as it's versatile and has great usability for both photos and videos. Also use a GH3 a lot for more controlled shooting. Depending on your budget, a G6 might be a solid compromise.

12. Philligan

I've never had a desire to shoot video, but I was still curious about the 70D's live view shooting, and so far I really dig it. It confused me for a while, because I'm pretty sure the focusing and metering parameters are independent to the ones for the viewfinder (so I set everything how I wanted normally, switched to live view, and had to set everything for live view through the touch screen).

It focuses about as fast as the mirrorlesses I've used, and even in the shitty low light in our rental (with the lights on at f1.4 and 1/80th I'm still hitting ISO 6400), it didn't really hunt at all. I'm looking forward to it for tripod shots, and for flipping the screen out and pretending to mess with settings to take sneakier candid shots.

13. metal_sam14

metal_sam14 Tard

Congrats man, looks awesome! Really makes me want to upgrade my 650D (t4i)

I am also pretty keen on that sigma 18-35, all the test shots I have seen are seriously good looking and it would solve my lust for a faster lens that isn't a prime.

14. Promit

Promit SS.org Regular

Gonna warn you right now as someone who has a lot of mirrorless: that doesn't work. People don't buy it.

15. Philligan

Oh man, I just discovered the silent mode. I always heard that the silent mode was still loud - I found the silent mode in the settings, and there were three options. Going between the three, I couldn't hear a difference, and was pretty bummed.

I just found out that I was choosing which silent mode to use, not actually setting it to silent. I set it to silent and it's probably half the volume, and a lot softer sounding. Probably gonna leave it on silent pretty much all the time, unless I wanna go nuts with the bursts. :lol:

16. Rook

Rook Electrifying

Silent increases shutter lag, hence why it isn't the default.

I agree though, silent works pretty well for me. Less of a *CLACK* and more of a *shwapap* :lol:

17. Tang

My camera doesn't need a silent mode. It's default is silent :fawk:

18. Philligan

Take your silent shutter and in-body focus motor and get outta here then. :fawk:

:wub:

19. Tang

All jokes aside, you should definitely see a huge increase in the quality of your files.

20. Philligan

Yeah, I've been taking shots of Dawn around the house :lol: but it's been a busy week and I haven't had time to get out and actually shoot yet. We're going back home tonight, though, and I don't work til Saturday, so I'm hoping I'll have some time tomorrow.

As much as megapixels don't really matter, I'm looking forward to seeing how much more detail I can get with almost double the file size.