New cab day!

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by Random Hero, Apr 23, 2009.

1. Random Hero

Random Hero SS.org Regular

[​IMG]

Sounds really great. Nice bass response for a 1x12 although it is oversized, and it sounds killer with my Einstein. It definitely needs breaking in but I expected that. I'm happy.

Plus, I can move it without breaking my back - it's very portable. I just need to break it in now. It's got that honky new-ness going on that I had with my Bogner 4x12 too. I actually remember thinking "WTF!?" when I first got the Bogner as I'd heard how "warm" it sounded. It all became apparent after a few weeks...

Fionn, Apophis and Wi77iam like this.
  2. drenzium

drenzium SS.org Regular

That looks SUPERB!!

I know what you mean about the breaking of the back seeing as i own an Orange 4x12, I usually want to go kill myself whenever I realize it needs to be moved.

Im pretty sure I read somewhere on here that the best way to break in speakers is on the clean channel with bass at 10? Or something like that? Can somebody confirm?

Anywho enjoy this rep, nice cab!

3. Wi77iam

Wi77iam Ibanez fanboi

Killer rig brotha', I want :drool: :scream:

4. Random Hero

Random Hero SS.org Regular

Thanks dude. Yeah, the Bogner was back breaking and demoralising to move anywhere on your own! It sounded terrific so the trade off was worth it whilst I owned a car but since I moved to London, I didn't bother bringing my car down here with me. Makes sense to have a portable rig plus this sounds great.

I have my iPod running through my rig at the minute to get the speaker moving a bit.

5. BurialWithin

BurialWithin NAM SAND!!

Yeah how do you "break" speakers in when you get a brand new cab in?? Do you just play it a lot a high volume or something???

6. maat

maat 'stortion junkie

Just like prepping a rubber band to go around a sizeable object.

There're two things I do:

I've always used bedroom level volumes- no louder than you would turn up a stereo system to the point before you started getting complaints from neighbors.

I set my Whammy pedal to 3 octaves below and set my delay pedal to Indefinite repeat...I'd do that for at least an hour a day for about a week turn the volume up and down to get the drivers accustomed to traveling.

The second is to do the same but without the delay pedal. Fret each note on your guitar starting with the heaviest string. Making note of which notes cause the cabinet itself to vibrate more than it would with any other note. (Write those down) Proceed onto the next string and do the same thing etc.

Other people I know just play until it "sounds right", whatever works for them. Me, I like to let my speaker know what I expect from it based on its Excursion to begin with.

7. Apophis

Apophis Banned

Great gear :yesway: and congrats