New BKP Ragnarok

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by chopeth, Sep 2, 2017.

1. Lemonbaby

Lemonbaby SS.org Regular

Really hard to tell how they sound from the Youtube demo. Misha seems to use a strongly EQ'd distortion patch. While the EQ chart on BKP's website shows that the Ragnarok to be rather bassy, it sounds scooped and fizzy in this case... :scratch:

Mike and Kaura like this.
  2. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

why dont Pickup companies provide DI tracks for free when they release pickups.?
    Including a description of the materials the guitar that laid them down, was built from.

Would be alot simpler to work out ourselves what they sounded like before buying and also would shed way more light on their provided EQ chart descriptions.

3. USMarine75

USMarine75 Doc McStuffins Contributor

Now hold up... are you trying to say that people post YT demos that are overly processed and not indicative of how the actual product might sound?

4. LeoLmX

LeoLmX SS.org Regular

Rabea may help us a bit.

5. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

i dunno how this would be more helpful then yt demos. if you listen to enough yt demos you get a rough idea of the processing tricks being used...
    a di is really going to be no more indicative of what the pickups actually sound like in your guitar.

6. Lemonbaby

Lemonbaby SS.org Regular

Haha, good point. But seriously, I'd like if they played a few other PUs through their setup for reference. With a baseline for comparison, listeners could judge easier how the PU sounds...

+1 for DI tracks I can feed into my own setup. :mike:

USMarine75, lewis and LeoLmX like this.
  7. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire baritone6/8 string hoarder

Some yt gear demoers like fluff used to include DIs whenever he'd do pickup demos. No idea if he still does.

lewis likes this.
  8. edfig1989

edfig1989 SS.org Regular

Ok, any other humbucker recommendations for my guitar? Schecter JFL7 with EMG 707 on a solid ash body with maple neck. Tonez the brootz!

9. KnightBrolaire

black dogs, duncan omegas, warpigs, elysian hot moderns, avedissian scythe, duncan black winter. any of those will melt faces and work really well for metal.

10. getowned7474

getowned7474 Neck_Pro Contributor

I might pick up one of these to compare to the Dimarzio titan I have. I think it might be cool to try something with a little more grind/aggression to it than the titan.

11. marcwormjim

marcwormjim SS.org Regular

Because it would undermine the industry-foundation myth that you can buy your way out of how you sound (in this case, with a transducer so inaccurate as to make you sound like someone else).

Consider the gain stages and effects utilized in Misha's signal path for the sake of demoing the first component in that signal path, and why everything after it was deemed necessary to hide it behind, and you come out equipped to be skeptical of everyone else prescribing the electromagnet you need to sound less like yourself and more like whoever you would rather be.

Even if you ignore the narrative and try to infer performance based on specs, the pickup industry is fond of presenting D.C. resistance as "output" and divulging which commercial category of iron alloy their magnet supplier put on the invoice.

But that's just how 1950s pickup technology is marketed in the 21st century. So long as you're getting your info from anywhere but this site, it can be parsed and navigated.

Casper777 and Hollowway like this.
  12. mnemonic

mnemonic Custom User Title

It's my inferior intellect that makes me an intellectual.

Zado and marcwormjim like this.
  13. katsumura78

katsumura78 SS.org Regular

I want to hear some comparisons but the initial video sounds great. Picked up a pro series ht6 the other day so I guess we know what pickup is going in it lol.

14. Smoked Porter

Smoked Porter SS.org Regular

I don't have experience with lower output pickups for metal, but I've been curious for awhile. The way you're selling them above has me thinking about the Black Dog for my 7 in drop G. Do you find that you have to fight or really hammer the strings to get a big metal sound though? I'm no bitch picker, but I wouldn't put my right hand in the class of Hetfield or John Browne either.

15. KnightBrolaire

no you don't have to smash the strings with them. I'm a very light picker. That's part of why I hate the juggs (besides their cocked wah voicing) you have to smash the strings or really pump the gain to get the kind of sounds I want out of them. I've got some clips of the black dog here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/d1fw42rqz69lgy7/AABiCZfo-RrGWMThJVrXPaQwa?dl=0

Smoked Porter likes this.
  16. chopeth

chopeth SS.org Regular

Hell... on paper it looks better than my cpig... which I love! but that bit more of mids and less output would be perfect for more techy metal in the guitar of my avatar, faster attack response probably, but it's not even a year since I got the warpig...

17. Cheap

Cheap .....ite

placed an order after watching rabea's video for em and listening critically to the demos on the website (much better idea there than in the Misha video).

impulsivity got the best of me so I dunno if they'll stick around, but I'll have demos and di's once they're in.

sent a few emails back and forth with someone at bkp and their customer service is absolutely killer if anyone's curious. I was expecting them to be swamped by the misha product launch (and they are), but the guy helping me out was super quick and attentive

18. KnightBrolaire

Smoked Porter and Hollowway like this.
  19. possumkiller

possumkiller SS.org Regular

Way too long to read. Am I the only one disappointed that the name Ragnarok wasn't reserved for the BKP answer to the Black Winter?

Beheroth, Blytheryn and Hollowway like this.
  20. LeviathanKiller

LeviathanKiller Knee-shooting Archer

Since when has not owning said gear prevented someone from recommending it in the past? :lol:

Not happy with my Aftermath set (or at least the neck pup), so I may consider this set or neck later on