New BKP Ragnarok

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by chopeth, Sep 2, 2017.

1. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire tinkerer/aspiring builder/8 string hoarder

When do the scratch and sniff covers come out lol

LeviathanKiller likes this.
  2. narad

narad SS.org Regular

[​IMG]

3. FitRocker33

FitRocker33 My tone is tighter than my hamstrings

Meh don't be jealous for not having some sweet Squirt gun etched pickups in yer plank hehe.....:sigh:

Adam Of Angels likes this.
  4. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

I’m super happy for Misha and Tim, but I’m in the minority of people that typically doesn’t swap out a pickup for a new model. I’d only do that with a cheap stock pickup in a low end guitar. Generally, I work with whatever I have in there, and just consider it part of the tone/character of the guitar. I’m always surprised at how many people pull what seems to be a perfectly good pickup (ie last year’s new model) out to swap it for the latest one.

xzacx, Adam Of Angels and Edika like this.
  5. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

But why tho. I’ll won’t change my other bkps for these but I’ll buy a guitar for them if I like them.

Hollowway likes this.
  6. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

Ya, me too. I like to have different pickups in different guitars. At the very least it’s an excuse to buy another one. :lol:

Down-Nola likes this.
  7. adriangrizzly

adriangrizzly SS.org Regular

Here it is.

8. couverdure

couverdure No Gear Day

That song at the end sounds so sick. He manages to write something in B minor yet the lowest note is a C2, just a semitone above a low B1.

9. marcwormjim

marcwormjim SS.org Regular

And now for another year of "What pickup for mahogany Iron Label?" threads where the same four guys prescribe this for everything from drop-C to diabetes management.

10. MerlinTKD

MerlinTKD ERG Drummer! Contributor

Color me intrigued. I love the Painkiller, but have hesitated to put them in my 8-string for fear of too much harsh treble, and the Juggernaut has a particular tonality that just doesn't sit quite right... this might work for me. Hard to say from one video, of course, I'm looking forward to seeing some comparisons in the next couple of months!

11. Metropolis

Metropolis SS.org Regular

They seem to be intresting, tone chart is good for brighter sounding guitars, obviously.

12. KnightBrolaire

From the tone charts it looks like a warpig with a warmer high end and slightly less bass. It's still kind of a mid forward sounding pickup (at least it seems that way from the tone chart/ misha's playing in the vid). I just hope it doesn't have the characteristic wah/vocal voicing of the juggernaut and it's more of grinding/snarly mids like the black dog.
    https://www.bareknucklepickups.co.uk/pickup/humbucker/ragnarok

xzacx and MerlinTKD like this.
  13. Whammy

Whammy SS.org Regular

Groundbreaking!

Juggernauts, Titans, Omegas, Nazguls, Fishmans, get the f out of here. We have a new guy in town.

Got to get a new guitar to put these in. Maybe then I'll be able to play better :shrug:

Joking aside I don't understand the need for these pickups. There seems to be a lot of marketing hype, but little to no explanation as to the gap in the market that these are trying to fill. What exactly are they meant to be fixing that other pickups don't offer?

It's also extremely hard not to draw parallels to the 7-string Tone Zone. On paper there isn't much difference.

Hybrid_Child, KnightBrolaire and Acme like this.
  14. diagrammatiks

I think guitarists are the only people i've ever seen complain about having too many choices.

I wonder if these will work for a baritone. Still iffy on getting stuck with a special wound set of impulses if I don't like them.

15. narad

narad SS.org Regular

Yes.

16. diagrammatiks

you say this...but a lot of pickups don't work on a 28.625 tuned to a or below. they do not like it no sir.

17. Acme

Acme SS.org Regular

So all this is is BKP's response to the Fishman Fluence Modern-hype?

18. KnightBrolaire

in my experience you want slightly lower output pickups for lower tunings. Back when I had a c-pig in my 8 string it didn't like being at D#1 on the low string but other clearer pickups like the black dog/omega/elysian hot moderns handled D#1 and D1 just fine (I didn't test much lower than that on the guitar since my string tension would have been too flubby). I know a lot of people hate the lace pickups but the x-bars worked below D1 as well. All of the super high output pickups I tried like the black winter/avedissian scythe and c-pig didn't really have the low end clarity for super low tunings.

19. narad

narad SS.org Regular

Compared to warpigs, you can see the EQs been tweaked a bit in the usual "low tunings" ways -- rolled off the bass heavily, off the treble a bit, off the output a bit. Probably not as well as some other BKP offerings, but "does it work with baritone" is not the same as "how tight will it be at X tuning", and it's a spectrum. The lower you're going, the the lower the threshold for acceptable bass EQ bumps.

20. USMarine75

USMarine75 Doc McStuffins Contributor

I'm going to recommend these to everyone on all of the forums I belong to for all of their guitars! Although, at some point can someone I recommend these to come over, so I can hear them without massive post processing and production? I'll tell you what though, no more Nazgul/Sentient recommendations for post-rock alt-jazz indie bands from me! ;)