New Band, Need Advice

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by wolf39us, Oct 2, 2017.

1. wolf39us

wolf39us SS.org Regular

So I've just joined a band a couple of weeks ago. We will be playing covers of Alice in Chains, Seether, Shinedown, Godsmack, Stone Temple Pilots etc.

Brief history: I have been playing guitar for about 20 years now. For the last 7 years or so, I haven't had a need for head/cab or combo amps as I've moved into the world of modeling on my Desktop computer.

So as a result, I have sold all of my gear (which actually was just a cheap acoustic amp with a Spider II amp *barf*)

Anyways, now that I'm going to be doing things in a live setting, I've really got to get me some good gear to play. I am the lead guitar player and will need some effects, but nothing too crazy (wah, reverb, chorus, delay). My primary concern is a good gain tone.

The other guitarist in the band has the Marshall DSL40C. It has great clean tone, but I'm just not feeling the gain on it. I've always been a metal head. I'm a big fan of Killswitch, In Flames, Trivium, Machine Head, Lamb of God etc.

Is there a recommendation for a head/cab (or combo) that can get those awesome metal tones that I love in my spare time, but be able to dial back to a nice rock tone?

Also, thoughts on pedals vs multi-fx? Which ones do you like? Which ones do you hate?

2. Wizard of Ozz

Wizard of Ozz Arch-Mage of Metal

Used Mesa Dual/Triple Recto + Mesa 2X12 cab.

A PV 5150II aka 6505+ head will work as well.

Definite preference for separate pedals vs. multi-fx pedals.

3. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

I've used a Mesa Dual Rectifier for almost decades now, and it's been perfect for both metal and rock contexts. I've even got nice warm blues tones out of it on several occasions.

4. buriedoutback

buriedoutback SS.org Regular

any affordable version of the fitty wun fitty and a couple decent used pedals.
    i have danelectro chorus and 7band eq and they're great. joyo OD and isp gate. ibanez lofi pedal is cool too.

5. DudeManBrother

DudeManBrother Blames it on "the rain"

For that style of hard rock I’d be looking at a Mesa mark V:35 or other variation. It’ll do hard rock or metal. For effects I’d look at a TC Electronics G major or G major II. You can easily spend $1000 on a pedal board. I’d spend more on an amp that can nail all the tones you’d ever want; and an affordable, quality solution for effects. You can add nice pedals down the road.

6. KailM

KailM SS.org Regular

6505+ with a Vintage 30 loaded oversized 2x12 cab. Throw an EQ in the loop and boost it with a tubescreamer of some sort.

The green channel can do a lot more than just metal; it's got kind of a hot-rodded Marshall vibe going on. I find that it can sound brilliant for hard rock and even lighter rock with the gain dialed back. The red channel will be your baby at home/non band situations. It's brutal AF all the time.

7. Drezik27

Drezik27 SS.org Regular

Unless you're 100% married to the idea of tube amp, I would probably go with a Kemper. I picked one up recently and I love it. Been using it with a power amp and cab, could not be more pleased.

Spinedriver likes this.
  8. Beheroth

Beheroth SS.org Regular

peavey 5150/6505 it is then.

9. Lemonbaby

Lemonbaby SS.org Regular

How about a modeler w/ FRFR? The flexibility of this setup will be great for a variety of metal sounds and able to match the guitar sounds of the songs you're playing with the band.

I never tried a Kemper myself, but that could be another option...

10. wolf39us

wolf39us SS.org Regular

The Kemper is a bit out of my price range. I would still need to get a cabinet and a footboard with the Kemper unfortunately. I'd also like to stay away from endlessly tweaking if possible.

Guys, what about the EVH 5150 III 50W w/ a 2x12 Cabinet?

It has that distortion I love and a good clean channel.

11. budda

budda Guiterrorizer Contributor

Fender 5153 combo.

PBGas likes this.
  12. NinjaRaf

NinjaRaf SS.org Regular

Yeah, any of the 5150 variants will do well for you and this style...

5150/6505 head or 212 combo
    5150II/6505+
    5153 50 watt (or 100 or stealth if you wanna spend more)

Mesa Recto will be a great option, too.

There are so many choices. Just depends on how many channels you need, what kind of switching you need, and how much you want to spend.

13. cardinal

cardinal SS.org Regular

Yeah, don't make it complicated.

Marshall DSL run crunchy and use a OD pedal to boost it over the top (run the pedal's gain low and level high).

Any of the 5150/6505 variations are classics.

Rectos are classic. Boosting with an OD pedal can help dial it in easier because it keeps the low end in check.

In any rock/metal setting, if a guitarist can't make one of these amps sound great, the problem is not the amp. And none of them are terribly expensive.

14. kindsage

kindsage SS.org Regular

Used 6505 all the way. Cheap and sound mean as hell

15. Deadpool_25

Deadpool_25 SS.org Regular

I don't know about the 6505 recommendations. Only because I think you may not like the cleans as much as your friend's DSL40C. So, an amp with a very good clean channel that can do convincing covers of the bands you listed and can also cover heavier tones like KSE, Trivium, LoG, etc.

I don't hate the recommendations for the 5153s, however personally in that situation I'd go with a Mesa Dual Rec. Specifically, I'd get one of the newer multi-watt versions. Another solid choice I haven't seen anyone mention yet is the Mesa TC-50. It can definitely cover all those bases. Still, I'd probably lean DR by a hair between those two.

As far as pedals, you could keep it simple with a few good pedals or go with something more powerful like a Fractal FX8 or Helix LT or one of the Boss units like the MS-3. Full disclosure: I have a TC-50 and an FX8 and love them both so I may be a bit biased, but I am sure that combo could do all those things. Again though, I'd still probably lean DR for the amp.

16. NinjaRaf

NinjaRaf SS.org Regular

FWIW, I never had a problem with the clean channel on any of the 9 5150 variants I have owned lol.

buriedoutback likes this.
  17. wolf39us

wolf39us SS.org Regular

Funny you should mention the Mesa because I've just been spending the last couple of hours checking out the Mesa Mini Rectifier and I'm super impressed by it's versatility. It nails the vintage sound AND the modern sound in both clean and dirty. It's a bit expensive for only a 25W, but from what I'm reading, no one is complaining about a lack of power with this head!

Question is, if I do get it, what cabinet would I go for? I do like 2x12's for sure.

My thoughts are this though, I don't need extra low end are resonance, that's the bassists job. I only need to cut through the mix with sick tone! lol

Deadpool_25 likes this.
  18. Descent

Descent SS.org Regular

That's what I have as a spare travel/smaller gig amp, I do major shows with a bigger stack.
    I got Jet City 12" Eminence loaded 1x12 for mine and am impressed by the quality of the cab for the price, you could get the 2x12 for your situation - the JCA24S. I didn't expect to be so happy with it at that price honestly and was thinking the original Mesa cab instead but after trying this I am sold and don't need anything else.
    The Mesa Mini Recto is perfect but it has that somewhat barky tone that you either like or don't.

You can try these Mesa amps as well: the Express 5:25 or 5:50 combo or the Mark V 35 watter. Maybe the Express will be closer to what you'd need if you don't like the Rectifier bark. I play mainly metal and I do like it, it also cleans up nicely for jazz, blues, etc. but there's always a little hair on the tone.

Since you'll be doing leads and I am in the same situation as you, I'd suggest running a Boss Line Selector (LS-2) in the FX loop for boost and effects. On mine I use only one of its channels and put in a delay on it which can be clicked off during leads if you don't need it. Also helps to put in a overdrive in front as that helps tighten things up a bit. I run a Voodoolabs Sparkle Drive on a light setting always on and that works nicely. The cleans are a bit dirty but rolling the volume takes care of that and I don't really like very clean "clean" channel.

BTW - the amp is 25 watts but power should be enough to compete with a 40 watt DSL, I run mine against a JCM2000 DSL 100 watt head that the other guitarist takes to all the gigs.
    You can check out our vids if you're curious as to how it sounds - all the drumcam vids have my Mesa close to it so it is picking mostly that.

19. Deadpool_25

Deadpool_25 SS.org Regular

I have a Mark V:25 and it is awesome through a Mesa 2x12 (either horizontal or vertical). The Crunch mode with high gain is amazing. Unfortunately that’s on channel 1 so it kills your clean abilities. Still great tones on channel 2 though.

I’m guessing one of the 25w models could do quite well for you, especially if you’re mic’d through a PA.