New Band Concept: Mmmaybe or nah

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by bostjan, Oct 2, 2017.

Give it a go?

1. Mmmaybe

4 vote(s)
    12.5%
  2. Nah

9 vote(s)
    28.1%
  3. \m/ Rawwwk! \m/

14 vote(s)
    43.8%
  4. I don't care (if you do not vote, this is the default)

5 vote(s)
    15.6%
  1. Winspear

Winspear Tom Winspear

Me neither, but I use Melodyne and that does! I believe it can load Scala files, but so far I've only played with manual adjustment. It's not so much autotune (though it can auto quantize) but more like audio to a piano-roll style line graph where you can redraw/drag all the lines. It even works on polyphonic sources (handy for shifting 3rds +/-10 cents), and can even break down monophonic sources into harmonics! (For example you can adjust the overtones to 12EDO)

bostjan likes this.
  2. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

Wow! I'll have to check that out. Of course, I see that there is a hundred dollar (USD) version of Melodyne and an $850 (USD) version. If the $100US version works in 19-EDO, I'll have to try it out and grab a copy of Scala, which I had been thinking about getting for a long time anyway. If I need to shell out $850, though, this'll be a no-go, unless I somehow get the impression that I could make a good portion of that back somehow.

Luna seems to respond well to the music, although she's spending 99% of the time just giving percussive squawks, but I'm amazed at her concept of rhythm. I seemed to have misplaced my camera, but last night, I really wanted to get some video of her "performing." Talking in between squawks is a bit difficult to make out without gratuitous amounts of compression, but I think this project might be a go, just for the sake of how fun it looks like it might be.

Winspear likes this.
  3. tedtan

tedtan SS.org Regular

TedEH likes this.
  4. takotakumi

takotakumi SS.org Regular

Please make the band/artist name a big Pun. :)

5. gingerman

gingerman SS.org Regular

+1 for the corpse paint for the parrot

Descent likes this.
  6. bostjan

Just a quick jam today.

TedEH and takotakumi like this.
  7. bostjan

I might try again this weekend, hopefully with an actual song picked out.

8. The Omega Cluster

The Omega Cluster n00b

Personal opinion time: as expected programmed drums totally killed the sound, it sounds atrocious. To be honest, the overall mix is pretty bad too. I know it's just a quick jam, but if it fails at creating a certain level of excitement for the project, then what is it for exactly? The last riffs get somewhat interesting, but the first ones are not my cup of tea. I hope you put more effort into this project so it can be interesting and worth our time listening to it! Cheers!

bostjan likes this.
  9. bostjan

Thanks for the feedback. I'll definitely give it one more go, and if it's not any better, I'll just move on.

10. Descent

Descent SS.org Regular

I think the bird pooped when it tried to execute the high pitch scream @1:20

At one time I played with a somewhat known death metal drummer and he wanted to cut a demo with his girlfriend's mini pig and was demonstrating its different sounds, when you yank the tail it does this, when you kick it it does that, etc...fun times...well, not for the pig.

FILTHnFEAR likes this.
  11. bostjan

Restructured a little:

Necris likes this.
  12. bostjan

Hmm, I guess this will go on the backburner for a while, then.

13. silverabyss

silverabyss J. Custom taste, Gio budget Contributor

Tellin you dude stack tons of vocoder and reverb effects on the bird

14. bostjan

This track uses an African Grey Parrot. He's much more "verbal," but he was really reluctant to perform, so I had to do six takes, since he kept going quiet. I know that metal isn't his favourite style of music, but I thought he'd at least chatter a little more. I ended up going with the fourth take, but I had to also do a take of him just sitting there without hearing the music, and using that for the last couple of parts. : /

Luna is way easier - I just drop a mic in front of her and switch on the studio monitors, and she reacts to the music.

I'll try the vocorder thing out as soon as I find a vocorder that can do microtonal stuff. I tried a free trial of melodyne with the last track, and I couldn't get the plugin to do anything outside of creating a bunch of silent tracks that don't seem to do anything. Maybe I have the wrong Studio One or the wrong Melodyne, but it looks like the plugin is flat out broken. I watched a bunch of tutorial videos, starting at square one, and even the basic stuff from the tutorials isn't showing in my window, as in, my window doesn't have any options to do anything, and there doesn't seem to be anything I can click on at all... :mad: I seem to always have problems like this when I try out new audio software with which I have zero familiarity.

15. bostjan

Double Post...

Speaking of technical difficulties. :lol:

16. bostjan

Up next:

She's starting to make some noises I've honestly never heard her make before. She seems to really enjoy recording metal music with me. :)

17. ElRay

ElRay Mostly Harmless

Before I vote, I need to know:

1) Is the parrot a Norwegian Blue?
    2) Is the parrot pining for the fjords?
    3) No #3.
    4) Will you (or the parrot) dent?

18. bostjan

She's just restin'. Remarkable bird, beautiful plumage.

ElRay likes this.
  19. bostjan

So far, I've recorded a half dozen demo song ideas with the bird. It's a lot of fun for me, and I believe, for Luna as well.

Early on, I tried recording her while I played bass or guitar, live. But I was lazy one day and recorded the instruments then recorded her whilst playing the recorded tracks over the monitors, and then tried doing 3-4 takes to see which performance I liked the best, and also to see if she was consistent between takes.

Interestingly for me, I noticed she started mimicking guitar parts, as she heard them, so, it was as if she was learning which parts of the song came when, and then sang along with them. Hmm.

Her timing is actually not bad. I started this not really expecting much, but finding out that she learns certain queues in the songs and then mimics them, and that she sometimes tunes into the backbeat and squawks in pretty good time with it has me intrigued.

The drawbacks are, well, the obvious things. #1 is that although she does seem to learn parts of songs and respond to musical queues by sometimes making specific noises, she still has a tendency to just squawk in sort-of time with the music, and then get stuck in a rut doing just that, and it's boring to listen back to it. Some takes, she goes into a wide variety of coos and beeps and little musical vignettes and even motifs, but that's maybe only 25-30% of the time. I have to throw away 2/3rds+ of takes as she'll just make the same noise over and over and eventually just stop and do nothing. When she's on, she does some brilliant things, and when she's off, she just doesn't perform.

I tried transcribing what I wanted her to do on sheet music, but she just ate the sheet music and squawked her own way. :eyeroll: - singers! (sigh)

So, recording, it's not a problem, since I can easily record her doing five or six takes, then just trash the ones that don't work out, but if I want to do any live performances, it'll be a huge gamble. First off, there's bringing a bird with you to a gig, which just all around sounds like a shitty idea, probably for literally taken reasons. Secondly, I don't think she'd perform the same with people around. Just when my wife came into the studio to observe, Luna just started her endless loop of SQUAWK SQUAWK SQUAWK...and didn't stop until my wife left. Obviously, I never initially considered live shows a serious prospect, but when things were going so well a couple weekends ago, I started to re-evaluate, but now I'm re-evaluating again, and it seems like a stupid idea, even if it was going to end up just being a small private party at the house or something.

So, yeah, I've found this to be a fascinating experience. I think it's bound to be one thing no one else gets. I'm potentially onto something, though. I plan to follow this through by putting together a proper EP. If Luna keeps getting more entertaining, then it actually shouldn't be too difficult to do.

The other parrot (african grey) really doesn't seem to enjoy recording, nor metal, for that matter. He has a huge vocabulary of words and even more of noises and sounds, but if he's not interested in the music, then I don't want to torture him.

Even though Luna doesn't make the most interesting variety of sounds, you can tell that she loves metal and feels rewarded by the interaction. She's still a young parrot, so her learning is more flexible. Many of the sounds she never made before until I recorded her, she is making all of the time now, just chilling. Despite the obvious intended humour of the project in general, I sincerely think that there is something to gleam off of this about animal psychology, so I intend to encourage Luna to add her own sounds to the project so that she can be creative, so that I can realistically assess parrot creativity.

20. Lindmann

Lindmann SS.org Rectangular

You could also add a solo part where the brid plays the guitar.

Just lay the guitar on the ground and drop some food on the fretboard.

bostjan likes this.