New AX8 First Impressions

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by patdavidmusic, Mar 8, 2018.

1. patdavidmusic

patdavidmusic SS.org Regular

Morning all,
    -Not a reader check out the video-

Only a week in, but the only thing I keep thinking is why didn’t I take the plunge sooner.

I’ve been on the fence about buying any Fractal for years, I don’t think it was the price I think it was more so me holding back and thinking that it wouldn’t be as good as everything I’ve been hearing.

Since the release of the AX8, I have been seeing more and more of my favourite artists touring with them. Hero’s of mine touring with a guitar and the ax8 in the case, it blows my mind to have that many amps and fx in should a small package.

I finally took the plunge…….and it is better than I could have ever hoped for!
    The stock presets blew my ear holes wide open and that was before changing cabs, tweaking and dialling in.

The leave of detail in the manipulation of the software is incredible, it is so ridiculously detailed, everything is thought of and set out in a logically way. I have a printed version of the pdf, there is so much to know, I foresee many nights of testing and reading.

Weekends are booked with friends coming over to hear the AX8 through monitors and cabinets alike, I never had a friend that owned one I think that could have been holding me back a little as well, not being able to test one out first.

The biggest feeling I get is that I have been handed the keys to something magical, like the willy Wonka factory or slippers to get to Oz. It might sound crazy but coming from two amps and a handful of pedals to a treasure trove of tone has really opened my eyes and ears to what I am missing.
    The tone from each amp model is ridiculously good, highly useable and further tweaking just gets them closer and closer to the real thing.

If there is anyone lurking this forum (like I was) and is on the fence, just do it, get a second job like I did and find a way to make it happen.

Currently re-amping my first instrumental EP, with gigging with the AX8 on my sights for the end of the year, I could not be happier! If anyone is one the fence and want to hear or see a certain part of the AX8 let me know I’m happy to help!

Pat

2. laxu

laxu SS.org Regular

It's a great unit but at the same time all that tweakability can be detrimental and you will most likely settle on a small subset of the features it offers. It may not be the same one that I use on my Axe-Fx 2 so it has something for everyone.

patdavidmusic likes this.
  3. patdavidmusic

patdavidmusic SS.org Regular

You know what, I'm over the moon at the amount of options, I want to be able to spend nights continuously shaping my tone, learning how amps work and finding my sound, even the plug in an play presets are gigable with a few quick adjustments here and there!

Elric likes this.
  4. wakjob

wakjob SS.org Regular

Bump

I just played one of these yesterday for the first time.

WOW... I need to sell some stuff :lol:

Deadpool_25 and Elric like this.
  5. budda

budda Guiterrorizer Contributor

Almost like theres a ton of amps and pedals you can buy, but people generally buy one amp and a few pedals ;).

I recently got an FX8 and it's fantastic.

Deadpool_25 and wakjob like this.
  6. Shask

Shask SS.org Regular

Fractal stuff is good!

I am wondering what pros are touring with only the AX8 that you mentioned.....

7. AliceLG

AliceLG \m/^_^\m/

Off the top of my head I can tell you that both Benji and Matt from Ne Obliviscaris are using AX8's live. Saw them 2 weeks ago in Hamburg (what a magical night!).

8. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

Ola is using it for fly out gigs. And he just programmed some AX8 patches for the guys from At The Gates.

Kyle Jordan and AliceLG like this.
  9. Meeotch

Meeotch SS.org Regular

To the OP (or anyone) - are you playing through an FRFR rig, or power amp into guitar cab? Last year I bought a Helix/Friedman FRFR and just couldn't get along with it. Now I'm wondering if I should have spent more time at least running it into the FX return of any amp and into a cab. Hmm...

10. mnemonic

mnemonic Custom User Title

That video got me to give the Das Metall model a shot since I never messed with it in the past. And damn it’s a cool model, I’ve been missing out all this time. Almost reminds me more of some sort of heavily modded metal Marshall.

LeviathanKiller and Kyle Jordan like this.
  11. HeHasTheJazzHands

It's the original Diezel VH4 or Hebert sim, I believe. Cliff designed it around what he thought a Diezel sounded like, instead of actually modeling the components of the Diezels.

TBH, I hate the actual Diezel models on the Axes. I prefer the Das Metall.

wakjob likes this.
  12. mnemonic

mnemonic Custom User Title

I feel the same way, I could never get a good sound out of any of the other Diezel models. Maybe that’s why I ignored it.

13. MASS DEFECT

MASS DEFECT SS.ORG Infiltrator

same. I never even tried it before watching the Ola demo. Now it is my 2nd fave amp sim after the SLO. And also, I have not updated my AX8 for a year and a half now. For fear of messing up the sound of my presets. It sounds good anyway.

14. Shask

Shask SS.org Regular

I used to like Das Metal back when I had an Axe-FX Standard, but never used it as much on the II. Don't really know why... too many amps, lol. I tend to use the 5153 the most.

15. wakjob

wakjob SS.org Regular

I hear there's a Boss HM-2 in the AX8 now...
    thoughts?

16. kindsage

kindsage SS.org Regular

Can you cop orange dark terror style tones from axe fx?

17. kindsage

kindsage SS.org Regular

18. Shask

Shask SS.org Regular

?? I have not heard this....

19. HeHasTheJazzHands

There' isn't, unfortunately. Just a Metal Zone.

20. op1e

op1e Blood_Lust:Unlimited

For over a year now I've been considering a fire sale to fund one. But I can't even get one head to sell in Marketplace let alone 3/4 of my stuff. I've always been fascinated with changing around power tube types and bias in different amps. Always wanted a KT88 5150. But instead I run my 6505mh thru my rm100 power section with 88's. It is glorious.