Neg rep regulation?

Discussion in 'Feedback & Suggestions' started by MSalonen, Apr 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MSalonen

MSalonen SS.org Regular

I was thinking that it might be worth it to have all negative reps go through some sort of moderation to make sure they're actually legitimate before taking effect.

For instance, I don't believe that trying to helpfully give constructive and friendly criticism to someone deserves neg rep simply because it isn't seen as "encouragement and congratulations".

Or trying to create a thread for everyone benefit that outlines known scammers.

But even if those examples are justified, I still think that "neg rep" should be more closely monitored and controlled.

2. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Honestly, the mods have FAR too many things to do then moderate something as widespread as rep. I mean, there's over 25,000 members here. Let's just say 1% decides to give neg rep one day. That's 250 rep's they'd have to mediate. There's only really 5 mods that ever come on here to moderate, and they're already tied up in keeping this forum from eating itself alive.

If you don't want neg rep, then consider what you're saying before you post. Do your homework, and express yourself the best you can. Every once in awhile you'll just get a neg from some ass, but 9 out of 10 times someone get's red, it's for a decent reason.

Though seriously, don't take rep as seriously, especially with such a small post count.

3. Metal Ken

Metal Ken Hates the Air Contributor

well, looking at your rep, there's nothing offensive about what was given, so i don't see any point in moderating it. That, and people need to stop worrying about rep.

jymellis likes this.
  4. djpharoah

djpharoah Awwww Yeaaaah Super Moderator

I think you should slow your roll. You've not even been on the forum for a full month and you're already getting irritated by the concept of neg-rep. I suggest you get a thicker skin as you're now on the internet my friend. Don't let it get to you.

Moderation cannot be done on every neg-rep well because the mods couldn't care less to check everyone nor do we have the time. Taking care of the normal stuff on here is work enough - checking rep as it's given would surely cause us to all drop dead. That's not what we're here for.

Usually if you feel like a neg-rep is unjustified contact a mod about it. That usually works for one or two occurrences. If you're contacting a mod almost daily for this stuff chances are you're in need of the neg-rep and need to change your conduct.

The thread about known scammers was axed because
    1) That is just going to go no where. Everyone will start calling people when people don't email them back instantly or PM them back within a day or so.
    2) The mods will decide who is a scammer or not. Judging by our investigative members usually it doesn't get by them or us. Leaving it up to the general population will usually result in internet stupidity which can really affect someone's online rep. We couldn't allow that ;)

TL: DR;
    If you're an asshat expect neg-rep otherwise you're good.

jymellis likes this.
  5. MSalonen

MSalonen SS.org Regular

Yeah, that would make it extremely difficult to control. Fair point.

And I suppose I shouldn't take it as seriously, but it just bothered me that it seemed so unwarranted in these cases.

EDIT: I can totally see why the scam thread would get deleted, despite what I said about getting neg repped for it.

6. Chickenhawk

Chickenhawk A Bad Idea Contributor

Remember, theirs a Mod on here that has a big RED line under his post count. Shit tons of neg-rep. Does it look like it bothers him?

The mods do a good job of booting people when they get out of hand. The neg-rep doesn't mean much in my mind, honestly.

7. Arminius

Arminius SS.org Regular

I think he actually has it like that on purpose, to be metal :metal:

8. MaKo´s Tethan

MaKo´s Tethan SS.org Regular

this :agreed:

Metal Ken?? I think he do this by mod powers, nobody can accumulate so much neg rep...I think:scratch:

9. Metal Ken

Metal Ken Hates the Air Contributor

well, I AM an asshole.

I actually have it red to spite the whole rep system. I do not care about it, except that i get a cool title for having so much red. Personally, though, I only use it for snarky, anonymous comments. :lol:

Btw, i can see the names of all who leave rep. :squint:

10. Arminius

Arminius SS.org Regular

whoops nvm

11. MaKo´s Tethan

MaKo´s Tethan SS.org Regular

:ugh:

12. MJS

MJS .

Even if there's a neg-rep abuse problem here, moderation would be an unnecessary pain in the ass.

It would be a little more self-moderated if the board settings were changed to show the names on all rep. It's not like people leaving positive care to hide. ;)

Some forums even disable neg-rep, or rep all together... probably so they don't have to hear people complain about it. ;)

In any case, I wouldn't lose much sleep over neg-rep. Even if you got it to the point where you had red bars, I don't see how it could affect you, except maybe if you were trying to sell something here... but even then, it's no different than having to deal with negative feedback on sites like ebay.

Ken's red bar does look pretty cool, though. So, if you get one red bar, you might as well go all out and shoot for a bunch of them. :lol:

13. Chickenhawk

Chickenhawk A Bad Idea Contributor

uuhhhhh :ugh:

14. Stealthdjentstic

Stealthdjentstic Banned

I nearly considered neg'ing you for this thread, just to get a reaction out of you :lol:

15. 13point9

13point9 Now with Less Hair!

random off topic question, I have been left "Neutral Rep" (AKA its grey rather than green or red) what/ how is this done?

16. jymellis

jymellis Talk To DeWalt

i was a member of a radio controlled forum for years wuth the rep system. i knew mods could see who gives rep either good or bad \m/. there was similar complaints on the rc forum about bad rep given. it came down to this. it is there for fun. just like having avatars and sigs. some people will abuse it. some people will actually use it.dont get butthurt over neg rep. sure you can say thanks in a post to the nameless, or whatnot but it really doesnt mean anything. im prolly one of the biggest positive repers here lol. i always try to leave a comment and a name with my rep if its positive or negative. if someone neg reps you and doesnt leave a name, its a nobody. trying to put yet another job on the mods is pointless. these guys bust their asses keeping this place up and running. the last thing they need to do is referre some cockfight. as long as the people who matter post, and keep ourselves behaving like somewhat normal people you wont have to worry about the neg rep from a nameless asshat, cuz you will be positive repped later if your a positive member to this little society ;) keep up the good werk mods. its because of you these boards are great, this is the only music/guitar forum i visit just because of the job you guys do, the info you add, and of course my awesome forum brothers and sisters:bowdown:

17. jymellis

jymellis Talk To DeWalt

this usually means it was left by a newer member or someone with a low rep count themselves ;)

i like how also if you thank someone for a thread or post it tells at the bottom of the persons name. how many times they have been thanked ;) notice the op. i clicked the little thumbs up at the bottom of the page. now my name is at the bottom of the original post. and under the op name it says thanked 1 time in 1 post. it will change depending on how many times someone clicks the thumb ender his posts. now i do not know if this number has anything to do with the rep given by clicking the scales and leaving positive or negative:scratch: maybe a mod can tell us if these 2 have any corrilation on each other if they have time.

13point9 likes this.
  18. MFB

MFB ExBendable

Thanks are an automatic 5 rep points, put if you go and add rep like you normally would it varies depending upon how new you are/I think post count is the other factor in it?

19. DDDorian

DDDorian Mantis Toboggan, M.D Super Moderator

The amount of rep you receive depends on how much rep the sender has.

I wouldn't bother moderating 95% of rep even if I could. Honestly, I wouldn't mind if the rep system disappeared entirely. We actually started asking people not to sign their neg-rep in order to keep people from picking fights about it all the time but it obviously isn't working:lol:

20. eaeolian

eaeolian Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore! Super Moderator

Well, yeah, because now people ping the mods asking them who neg-repped them for something!

Honestly, I openly campaigned to have it turned off when Chris ran the site. Then again, I openly campaigned to have off-topic locked, too, so...

Hey! Get off my lawn! :lol:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.