Needing a New Laptop

Discussion in 'Computers, Electronics, IT & Gaming' started by Fretless, Jun 9, 2017.

1. Fretless

Fretless Knob Fiddler Contributor

Howdy! I am currently in the market for a new laptop, and my goals are to replace my aging desktop, and my current laptop which is falling apart (seriously held together by epoxy right now). I will go ahead and list what I am looking for in a laptop below.

Intended usage:
    I will be using this laptop at work, mainly to use as my own personal computer. I want to be able to use my DAW at least as well as my desktop (which is an aging 5 year old AMD processor, so that won't be hard). I will also be programming and gaming off of this laptop, and while I know it won't be as great for gaming as XYZ desktop, I really don't spend enough time in one room at my house to warrant a desktop. Mine only gets used for an hour or less every week. As far as games go, I really don't play anything too graphically intensive, and running things at max settings isn't a must.

Needs:
    OS: Windows 10. I do not want a mac, and will not consider a mac.
    Form Factor: I need it to be between 15-17 inches. Also, the thinner the better.
    Processor: Latest I7 generation, doesn't have to be top of the line.
    RAM: at least 32GB.
    HD Capacity: 1TB SSD or more, and the more, the better.
    USB: At least a few USB ports, preferably something with C and a few 3's
    Budget: Under $4000 USD. I know that's a lot of money, but my wife said spend up to that much, and so I am not afraid to spend it. It doesn't have to be that much, but if there's a killer laptop for 3999.99 don't exclude it just to exclude it.

So if you have any suggestions please let me know. I'm looking all over right now, but chances are I will miss something that someone else may find.

2. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

I can't recommend much but for 4k cause I'm a bit out of the loop with computer hardware, but I'd say just pick a company you trust and go to town with the specs. That kind of budget should be able to get a pretty monstrous workstation replacement kind of deal.

Some side notes:
    - 32gb is the MAX I've seen available on any site so far, not the minimum. It might be overkill for a laptop outside of future-proofing or doing some pretty heavy-duty dev work. Games won't use that much. And your DAW *shouldn't* use that much. I think having that as a requirement is going to inflate your costs for very little benefit. :2c:
    - I'm not sure that you want to specify "i7". 7 is a higher number than 5, but not every i7 is better than every i5 as far as I know.
    - I would guess that workstation-style "quadro" cards will inflate your cost as well, but aren't going to give you any gaming benefit compared to a similarly priced gforce etc. so I'd avoid those.

Someone with more up-to-date hardware knowledge will probably correct me :lol:

Edit: I was able to easily spec out something to match your requirements on the Dell website, under 3k, with a couple of extra fancy bits added.

3. Fretless

Fretless Knob Fiddler Contributor

Honestly, I've been out of the loop for quite some time as well, and so as far as company trust, the only computer company I have even bought from in the past 10 years is my lenovo laptop that I currently use. I use dells at work daily and have terribly luck with them(The amount of dells I have had to replace is significantly more than HPs, ASUS, and pretty much all other brands combined. Granted my computers I manage here are all on 24/7 with 0 down time). As far as RAM goes, I've found that there are some laptops with more, but they fall more into the workstation category(not that this is a problem).