Need some help with thumb placement on the neck.

Discussion in 'Music Theory, Lessons & Techniques' started by BIG ND SWEATY, Dec 20, 2017.

1. BIG ND SWEATY

BIG ND SWEATY Edgy

So I've recently gotten back into playing again and I'm having more fun with it than I was before I took a year+ long break but I just can't seem to sit comfortably with my guitar anymore. It seems like to matter how I sit or how I position my hand I always end up with some wrist/thumb pain. It only happens during chords though, normal riffs don't give me any trouble. At first I thought the neck on my Ibanez was too thin and causing me to clamp down too hard on the neck and strings but the pain still happens on guitars with thicker necks. The pain isn't anything intense and I always stop playing and relax my wrist and stretch my thumb when I start to feel it. I never had this problem before I took a break but I also wasn't using the kind of chords I am now so it maybe the fingerings I'm using are causing it? Any help would be greatly appreciated, I'd love to get fully into playing again.

Heres an example of one of the chords that gives me some trouble, I know the tuning is weird:
    E---x---
    B---x---
    F---2---
    C#-5---
    G#-3---
    C#-5---