need some help with amp sim settings

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by zarg, Dec 5, 2017 at 2:28 AM.

1. zarg

zarg guitar and computer nerd

Hi guys!

I'm mainly playing amp sims nowadays. I have a pretty awesome (to me) sound for my six string but everytime I try to dial in a sound for my seven, it doesn't sound quite right. I will be swapping the pickup in it soon because I think that is part reason for it. I just try to approach it very simple by leaving everything at noon and then turning dials until I like the sound but I fail at making a decent sound out of it.

How do you guys approach setting your amp sims? I have TSE X50, TSE 808, LePou plugins, Ignite Amps Emmissary and Recabinet 5 with ownhammer mesa 4x12 IRs, Amplitube 4. I can get additional things if they help. Maybe a different IR?

I want to created a tight modern metal sound. What settings should I start with? Or are there already presets for my ampsims that give me that sound? (periphery -ish)

often my sound ends off sounding fizzy, when I EQ it, it feels like too much high end is missing, even though the high end is fizzy as hell.

thank you! cheers!

2. laxu

laxu SS.org Regular

Try different amp sims. See if for example the StudioDevil stuff, Scuffham S-Gear or Helix Native gives you better results. All have trial versions available.

Fizzyness can usually be tamed either by
    • Playing louder. The fizz is less heard but helps cut through the mix.
    • Turning up the mids
    • Turning down the gain
    • Turning down presence
    • Using a different amp sim. For example the Soldano SLO100 is a pretty fizzy amp by design but fits well in a mix when turned up.

zarg likes this.
  3. zarg

thank you for your answer!

I have a fairly basic interface, would getting a nicer one in the price range of 100-200€ make a significant difference?

4. Metropolis

Metropolis SS.org Regular

It depends what kind of interface you have right now, but something with hi-z input (this might still clip with hotter pickups), dedicated di-input or di-box in front of interface's mic pre-amp does the job. Monitoring is also one important thing, and what kind of cab impulses are being used.

Do you have free version of TSE X50 or whole 2.4 software version which includes package of effects, 5150 and Engl E530 sim, and cab impulses?

5. zarg

thank you for your answer!

I have only the basic X50 amp plugin without any effects.
    right now I have an m-audio fast track, it doesn't have any of the features your mentioned.

6. Metropolis

In here weakest link might be the interface. Are the Ownhammer impulses you have free ones from their site? With V60 speakers I believe. Maybe you should try their Engl Pro 412 cab or something from Heavy Hitter's packs. There should be found more modern flavours of cab tones.

But all in all, having professional kind of modern guitar tones is that every part of signal chain is almost top notch without lacking in any qualities. Or at least how all the gear is capable of doing.

7. zarg

alright, thank you! I wanted to look into getting a new interface soon anyways. I will look into those impulses and get them. I usually go for a blend of a SM57 and a 421 or similiar, is that a good starting point? the IRs are the free ones with the v60, yes.

8. laxu

laxu SS.org Regular

Your audio interface should be acceptable if you get a low enough latency with it. What are you using to monitor the sound?

9. zarg

either headphones or speakers, depending on the time of the day but mostly headphones. headphones are Audio-Technica ATH-M30 X and speakers are high end canton hifi speakers (not ideal, I know).

10. Metropolis

That is really standard starting point, I usually try to mix more 57 and much less some other mic like 421, 160, or 121, then find a good balance between them. Problem with OH's Mesa V60 is that it can sound sometimes too thin and boxy, and highs are kind of rolled off. Balance between tubescreamer boost level and amp gain is also worth experimenting, dialing boost level back and trying to find a good sweet spot with amp gain is recommended. Less gain and low bass, with lots of upper mids is way to go with modern djenty type of sound.

At that kind of monitoring situation I would use headphones, because they are full range and give more accurate picture about what is going on.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2017 at 11:59 AM
    zarg likes this.
  11. zarg

Metropolis likes this.
  12. Descent

Descent SS.org Regular

Try Amplitube 4 but disable speakers and any effects after the power amp sim and then try the IRs. I for the most part use the British II and Mesa sims, some mild compression and maybe eq before that, or a boost from the tubescreamer emulation.

I like Kalthallen free IRs for starters, 1960a cabs. I use NadIR by Ignite, simple and gets the job done.
    https://bedroomproducersblog.com/2013/11/23/ignite-amps-nadir/
    http://cabs.kalthallen.de/kalthallen_free.html

Try maybe one or two of Kazrog's sims.

I don't think it is your interface, if it is you won't be getting good results with the other guitar.

zarg likes this.
  13. zarg

I have the Mark IV in Amplitube and it's pretty awesome. do you have any presets you'd share?

14. Metropolis

15. Descent

Descent SS.org Regular

Cant'think offhand but usually start with Tubescreamer sim, gain at 2, volume at 5, tone at about 5, Mesa setting on Vintage Presence at about 2, bass rolled off slightly at 4, mids at 6, treble at 6, gain at about 6-7, master volume at about 4, then a 1960a cab from Kalthallen in IR after Amplitube. Disable everything after the power amp in Amplitube (bypass speakers, no post fx, maybe I add sometimes a little tube compression to tighten things up).

zarg likes this.
  16. Sogradde

Sogradde SS.org Regular

There's a couple of things you have to keep in mind. First of all, make sure your input signal is not clipping as this leads to unwanted distortion and "fizz" as you describe it. Digital clipping is considered bad, whereas analog clipping (for example through the tubes in your amp) sound fine to the human ear, creating harmonic distortion.
    With that said it would be interesting to find out what you use to monitor your sound. Using speakers? If so what kind of speakers (i.e. Hi-Fi, studio monitors, simple pc speakers...?) also, do you have a subwoofer? Do you use headphones instead? What kind of headphones? Depending on the type of headphones you use, you might need to invest into a sufficient preamp to get a clear sound out of them.
    Your plugins should be fine. I personally ditched LePou stuff (especiall LeCab) as I felt it added unwanted distortion though. Use a reference track while creating your sound and by reference track I mean an isolated guitar track and not a full mix. What works in your mix doesn't necessarily work in your bedroom and vice versa. Don't be shy to use an EQ to alter a sound that is close but "not right there". Preferrably use a band EQ and change one band a time to get a feel for the impact it has on your tone. And for a tight Periphery-ish sound you definitely need a pretty tight gate in front of your chain.

zarg likes this.