Need Some Advice/Opinions (Neck Shapes)

Discussion in 'Beginners/FAQ' started by Rawkmann, Jan 13, 2018 at 12:51 PM.

1. Rawkmann

Rawkmann SS.org Regular

I'm searching for a guitar with a fairly rounded 'C' or 'U' shaped neck but with a narrow string spacing. To give an idea the most comparable guitar I can compare what I'm looking for is a MusicMan Axis type neck. In particular I'm wondering if the JP models feel at all similar to that because I need the 24 frets. Unfortunately I've never tried a JP and live in an area where it's not really feasible to do so. I know the JP necks are wider but I've heard they still have a fairly narrow feel to them. I currently play Prestige Ibanez's and while they are great, the fretboards are so wide near the upper frets it feels like my fingers are coming out of their joints trying to play something like a 5 string sweep. Definitely curious how the JP would handle, and also how the Majesty models might be as well.

2. AkiraSpectrum

AkiraSpectrum SS.org Regular

I would say the JP's/Majesty's are going to be too wide for you. From my memory they are not as wide-feeling as an Ibanez but are still relatively wide.

Best option would probably be a Schecter with an ultra thin C neck shape, as they tend to have fairly narrow fretboards (C-1's, Banshee's, etc.). Most ESP/LTD's also tend to be fairly narrow as well. Those were just the first one's that popped into my head...

3. Viginez

Viginez SS.org Regular

you could search for older pre-presige models (one piece necks), they're narrower, i don't like the newes ones too.
    also try an esp m- or horizon-series, they are even narrower and rounder.

4. Shask

Shask SS.org Regular

I am pretty picky on necks, and I pretty much agree with above. The JP always kind of felt like an Ibanez to me, that was slightly rounder on the back of the neck. It still mostly had that wide/flat feeling. It is nothing like the neck on the Axis, which is narrow and rounder. I always said they need an Axis neck on the JP body.

I also agree that usually Schecter and ESP have the narrowest necks. ESP is usually 42mm (except on the M body), and Schecter gets down to 41.8mm or so on some of the Floyd models. I have an older Banshee which has one of the smallest necks I have ever played.

Some of the Fender Strat necks are narrow like that as well.

Kiesel is a little narrower. It is not as narrow as Schecter/ESP, but not as wide as Ibanez. It sits right in between them.

Sadly, there are not many choices for narrow necks.

AkiraSpectrum likes this.
  5. BMO

BMO Geetarist

My vote is ESP. I own an LTD EC401B and while the scale length is long, the neck is exactly the same feel you describe. I’ve tried countless Eclipses and ESPs in general though and the neck feels the same. Perhaps you’d like to give that a shot! Also I know exactly what you mean with Ibanez. I’m an Ibanez and ESP/Schecter fanboy but Ibbys can be pretty wide feeling dpending on the type of wizard. I haven’t played a gibson in years as they’re known to be wide and fat, but an ex bandmate of mine who loves em picked my MTM2 up and said it was too wide for him lol!

6. Edika

Edika SS.org Regular

One more vote for the Schecter. The SLS series and most current models have a narrow neck and thin C shape. If you want a thicker C profile you can go with their older models like the ATX and Hellraiser but they're still narrow.

7. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

Ernie Ball guitars. The JP series and the Majesty’s.

8. Shask

Shask SS.org Regular

It is the "D" shaped neck that makes them feel wider. A Gibson neck and an Ibanez neck are going to have a similar width, but the flat "D" shape of the Ibanez neck makes it feel much wider than it really is. The fuller "C" shape of a Gibson fills in the hand more, making the width less noticeable. Also, Gibson has a shorter scale length, so the frets are closer together.

Jackson is the same way, but thicker. I feel like I can't even reach the top string on Jackson guitars. It is like a mile away, lol.

9. steinmetzify

steinmetzify CHUG & SLUDGE

Dude if you like the Axis necks give a Charvel or an EVH non trem a try. 1.625” nut width, super comfortable to play and some pretty narrow string spacing. I have smaller hands and those necks are pretty much perfect for me.

10. Lemonbaby

Lemonbaby SS.org Regular

The percepted width of a neck isn't purely dependent on the nut width. Two important factors ara string spacing and how steep the shoulders of the back are shaped.

11. Rawkmann

Rawkmann SS.org Regular

Update: Well, they were never really on my radar but thanks to the suggestions I went to GC (still a pretty good trip from where I live and ours is not usually stocked very well) and tried some Schecters. Ended up snagging a C-1 Platinum that really blew me away and suits my rather small hands very well. It's got a nice rounded back, but does indeed feel narrow towards the nut and doesn't seem to flatten out as much towards the body which was causing most of my discomfort. Thanks a ton for the great suggestions!

Pic of the new axe:
    [​IMG]

Shask and AkiraSpectrum like this.
  12. Shask

Shask SS.org Regular

Excellent! I have always found them to be excellent playing guitars also if you like narrow necks.

I wish they had more non-archtop models though. I love my older Banshee. It is basically what I wish an Ibanez RG was.