Need some advice on my amp purchase

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by Ouroboros11, Sep 27, 2017.

1. metallifan3091

metallifan3091 SS.org Regular

To be honest, I even sort of have that problem with my Archon 25w on the half power setting. Maybe I just have a funny idea of what 'acceptably loud' means, but I live in a condo with neighbors and I find that if my amp gets above 2 on the master volume, I'm constantly worried about them complaining. Perhaps I shouldn't be, since they never have, but my amp only ever goes above 2 if I have a weekday off, since I know that my neighbors are all gone during the day then.

With that said, the 25 doesn't really sound bad at its lowest volumes, so that isn't a problem. It's just that tube amps in general are loud and I'm not even CLOSE to using all of the volume at the amp's disposal.

2. Ouroboros11

Ouroboros11 SS.org Regular

Hmm...I'm going to have to think this one through but not too long before my return date ends. Is there any one particular splawn model that sounds good? Maybe I can get a soldano hotrod 50W for a good price if I shop around.

How about cabinets- Do I need a full cabinet or are the half ones good to use too?

3. Ouroboros11

I forgot to mention too that I would actually like to have a second combo amp because it would be a more portable option than a full on cabinet set incase I need to bring an extra amp for a buddy to use or something.

I guess having a 25W and 50W archon won't hurt, but I don't know, it also would be nice to have a different amp. I'm highly considering the EVH5150 to replace my 50W archon. Would the 25W be enough headroom for gigs?

Last edited: Sep 28, 2017
  4. Ouroboros11

So I'm leaning towards trading in my 50w archon to get a 60w engl fireball. Can anyone compare the soladno hot rod to the fireball?

5. laxu

laxu SS.org Regular

This is pretty much unavoidable even on amps that have better master volumes that don't go from "barely audible" to "too loud for home" levels. Many amps just don't sound great at very low levels. I've went all digital for home use because of this and get pretty stellar tone from my Axe-Fx 2 into studio monitors while having total control over the volume level but even then too low is just not as fun to play and same goes for headphones.

If you want to stick with tube amps then pick something that has a good master volume implementation. I was pretty happy with the 100W Egnater Tourmaster I had and it has extremely versatile lower wattage settings that mainly effect the feel of the amp.

If you are fine with digital at home then the Yamaha THR10 for a tiny solution or for some more a THR100HD would be pretty nice.

6. Ouroboros11

I'm returning my 50w archon and just keeping my 25w as my portable amp. Meanwhile, I'm looking for a replacement for my 50w. I'm looking to get a head to pair with a 2x12 cab. So far I'm looking at an engl fireball because it's a nice metal amp for the price.

The thing is, I'm drooling over a nice soldano hot rod 50. How would you describe that tone? Btw, I heard the soldano HR is now the avenger- is this true?

I want something nice for metal leads. I do like a tight dark low end, but I don't want to sacrifice my mids and I don't like a scooped sound.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2017
  7. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

Altogether sure, but it's much easier on an amp that was engineered to be a bit quieter. The range of usable/decent sounding volume starts much lower on a 10w lunchbox than on a 150w beast of an amp, IMO.

8. Ouroboros11

What would be a good option for a 2x12 cab to pair with a soldano hot rod?

9. PBGas

PBGas SS.org Regular

Your 50Watt combo weighs 47 lbs, no? That is hardly a ton of bricks. The EVH combo weighs like 60lbs.....It is a great sounding combo but isn't your light weight solution.

10. Kisbori

Kisbori SS.org Regular

Have someone tried the Seymour Duncan Powerstage 170 ? How it sounds, how loud ?

11. Zoobiedood

Zoobiedood SS.org Regular

It sounds like whatever you put into it, and it is plenty loud for anything I need it for.

12. Dahl

Dahl Dekhrom

Or you can choose a head you like and take a power attenuator. Usefull in your bedroom, and no problem with drums.