Need some advice, do i sell, fix or upgrade my esp ltd ec 200qm

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by x666charlie666x, Jul 30, 2011.

1. x666charlie666x

x666charlie666x SS.org Regular

basically i bought an esp ltd ec 200qm roughly 6-8 months, perfect cosmetic condition however the bridge pickup has a severe lack of output. The volume knob for the bridge pickup is still functional (i can put the volume down to 0 and raise it to the current level) i had a quick look at the points of solder (im useless with anything like this) the neck pickup works perfectly

i bought the guitar without a hardcase for £180, it has the original esp emg pickups,

i personally really like the guitar, just the problem with the bridge pickup, what is everyone's advice?

2. Andromalia

Andromalia Pardon my french

Bring it to someone who isnt. ;)
    If you like the guitar and you must spend 10$/€/£ to get it working it's worth it.
    The other possibility is that the stock pickup just isn't very good, these are entrty level LTDs, correct ?

3. Reynolds666

Reynolds666 New Member

I think a bit of a step up from the entry ones, there might be -10, -50, -100 below it if I remember correctly and its starting to get some better features so I say definitely fix it up :)

4. Spinedriver

Spinedriver SS.org Regular

I'd recommend doing a little research and find a DiMarzio or Seymour Duncan pickup that you think might fit your style and get it installed. An SD JB or Invader will get you decent metal tones for sure. The thing about replacing the pickup is that it can take a 'cheap' guitar that plays well but (like yours) doesn't sound so good and turn it into a really good one.

5. Hyliannightmare

Hyliannightmare Banned

that is a solid guitar like the poster above me said look into upgrading the pickup
    i use a cheaper LTD like that and i upgraded the pickups and tuners and now she's my giggin guitar

6. x666charlie666x

theres a set of bareknuckle nailbomb pickups, auction ends in 30 mins, very tempted to make an offer

and yeah it isn't the lowest range, i think it cost £350 to £400 to buy new

7. x666charlie666x

Unfortunately i didn't get the bareknuckles

im probably going to go d -activator in the bridge and liquifire in the neck (think of my style as a mix between periphery and whitechapel), would these pickups be ok? i've heard the d activator is quite loud, is it so loud that when i change pickup i would notice?

also there is a guy near me who has a set of dimarzio paf pro's, would they suit my style?

8. okaymike

okaymike New Member

If I were you I would give the PAF Pro a miss unless you're getting it for an awesome price, I'd say it's probably a bit treble-y and a bit low in output for the sounds you want. D-activator would be a sound choice if you're after something with slightly more treble than the standard CL/LF set.

Sucks that you missed out on the BKPs.

9. x666charlie666x

does the crunch lab have a high enough output to effectively play high gain stuff?

i can get the paf pro for £50 each, but could knock em down a bit

Edit

the bareknuckles are available again, but they're 53 mm spaced, would this be ok?

10. okaymike

okaymike New Member

They should be absolutely fine, you can always check by measuring between the outer pole-pieces of your current pups. It won't make a big difference if they aren't the same though.

11. theicon2125

theicon2125 Midwest Metalhead

shoot me some pics, I might be able to help. that is if the solder is an issue. I would guess that its just because the pickups are cheap, low quality

12. x666charlie666x

im going to be replacing the pickups anyway, i saw these for sale

[​IMG]

they are from the ibanez petrucci signature, the guy is a tech and took these out of someones guitar about 4 years ago and can't remember the exact model the guitar and doesn't know what exactly each pickup is, any idea? also any idea on how much they're worth?

13. Mrkun

Mrkun New Member

Had the same problem with my les paul, the problem was that the bridge pickup was set too low. Gap between the magnet and strings was like 1 cm, and than i just brought it up to about 4 mm and it works perfectly.