Need opinion on this singer what should i do with him

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by greglecompte, Jun 22, 2012.

1. greglecompte

greglecompte SS.org Regular

2. Cynic

Cynic Bored Stiff

3. square stomp

square stomp stomp the square

Brighten it up with EQ and reverb, maybe add some overdrive.

4. schecter4life

schecter4life Banned

i'm not sure what you saying xD, i like his vocals...and props to your drummer/software of choice...not sure i've heard blasts that sound that good in a lighter styling of metal like that.

edit::referring to that one blast section like 15 seconds in give or take a few seconds lol

5. greglecompte

thanks for the feedback

6. revclay

revclay SS.org Regular

He does sound a little disinterested at times when singing, but he does have a good voice. It just sounds like he needs to express a little more when singing. That's on the producer/himself to bring that out. Also, when you say that you have a problem with what he is singing, does that include lyrics? If so, I can't comment on that because I can't understand what he is saying. If that is important to you, you may ask that he tries to enunciate better. That could also be fixed with some EQ by either cutting the guitars in the high-mids (1.5k - 3k) or boosting the vocals anywhere between 1k-8k, depending on where you think the clarity lies in his voice. You can also try compressing the vocals more and seeing how that sits in the mix and whether you need to tame the guitars are mess the EQ on his vocals to get them to sit proper. Hope this is helpful.

7. Imbrium998

Imbrium998 Bangs head here

I am listening right now, and I think that what you want to hear is more dynamic range. A wider range of melodic note choices. It might not be what he is singing, but perhaps the vocal melody was written? And yes, he could come out in the mix a bit better.
    Hes got a good shout voice too....like sorta reminds me of Bruce Dickinson from Maiden sometimes.

Sounds good.

8. KingAenarion

KingAenarion Resident Studio Nerd

Yea getting more life into him is about the way the producer and he approach the recording.

As to the sound... multiple parallel compressors.

9. greglecompte

thank you i have been telling him this stuff but he refuses to believe me and refuses to try and change anything he thinks its "perfect"

10. Purelojik

Purelojik SS.org Regular

i like the tone of his voice but he needs to realize that just having a mic isnt a reason not to sing out completely like there wasnt one. hes lacking that emotion that ties a listener to the song. the guitars remind me of a safety fire and a bit of funeral for a friend, and sound awesome.

11. Necris

Necris Bonitis.

He sounds extremely disinterested and his enunciation is absolutely terrible, it took me a while to realize he was singing in English. The whole mix sounds kind of boxy and dead.

12. greglecompte

yes the mix is very shitty as of now i didn't want to put anything into it because i don't think the vocals can be saved