Need help with re-wireing a cab

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by great_kthulu, May 31, 2012.

1. great_kthulu

great_kthulu SS.org Regular

so I just bought a Kustum quad jr. 412 cab, knowing that it was 4 ohm and I need at least 8 to run my 44 magnum. I had planed on re-wireing it which I just tried to do, but after following a diagram, I found that right around the level my 44 would start cutting out when it was at 4 ohm it just starts buzzing when I try to play anything. I noticed that the Quad Jr. has a small circuit board attached to the input jack, could this be causing the problem? Would just getting a new input jack without the board solve my problem? (I have already double checked the power amp on another cab, and triple checked my wiring.)

2. WarMachine

WarMachine SS.org Regular

Might sound dumb but have you checked all your solders to make sure they all have good beads/connection? I came across a board like you described with my bugera cab. Im pretty sure that switches between running in stereo and mono on the crossover.

3. great_kthulu

ya, I went through and checked all the connections

4. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands WONDERFUL

Try getting a regular 1/4 inch jack for a guitar. I wasn't able to re-wire my Peavey because of the circuit board. Don't toss it though, incase you may need it again.

5. sage

sage twerk twerk thall

Have you taken a multimeter to the cab to check its resistance? You may have wired it wrong. It's easy to screw up.

6. asilayamazing

asilayamazing SS.org Regular

how would one check the ohms with a multimeter? i have a cab i made with a multi input multi ohm jack plate and i want to check they all are correct ohm'age.

7. WarMachine

WarMachine SS.org Regular

I havent done this myself but i have checked ohms using a multimeter, should be as easy as plugging in a 1/4 inch jack in the input or maybe just putting the leads against the speaker terminals.

8. Baelzebeard

Baelzebeard Grinder of strings

Step by step to check resistance of speaker cab.

Plug in your speaker cable into the cabinet, (I am assuming it is a 1/4" cable), and put one of the probes of the meter on the tip, and one on the sleeve of the connector at the amp end of the cable,(unplugged from the amp of course.) The normal DC ohm-meter will give you an approximate measurement of the speaker impedance, and will usually read slightly lower than the impedance of the speaker.

The big question I have is; how did you go about "rewiring" your speaker cabinet?

9. BabUShka

BabUShka SS.org Regular

Check if the speakers and backplate are propperly attached int the cab. Vibrations can cause buzzings in the cab at higher volumes and low frequenciers.

10. great_kthulu

ok guys, it's fixed. I had added am extra parallel connection between two of the speakers when the rest were in series.