Need help with pod hd500x

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by psychosphere95, Oct 24, 2015.

1. psychosphere95

psychosphere95 SS.org Regular

i want to buy the pod hd500x and i need to know how exactly to hook it up. I want to run it through my randall 4x12 cab and i know i need a power amp so im probably gonna go with a crown. On the back of the power amp and the pod i see mono left and right outputs but my cabinet only has one jack. So do i just run one speaker cable from one of the pod outputs and then one in and out through the poweramp to the cab? Or do i have to run both the left and right mono.

2. DarrellM5

DarrellM5 SS.org Regular

Which Crown Poweramp are you looking at? Are they even designed to power a guitar cabinet?

I'm not familiar with Crown but a google search only seemed to pull up examples of them powering speakers.

3. pastanator

pastanator SS.org Regular

the pod shouldnt be connected to the cab at all. prety sure you connect the pod to the power amp and and the power amp to the cab

4. VBCheeseGrater

VBCheeseGrater not quite a shredder

Like pastanator said, the pod goes to power amp, then power map to cab. Since you have a mono cab (one input), you will only be running one cable from power amp to cab. You'll want to run in mono altogether...

POD line out L (mono) --> Power amp channel 1 IN --> Power amp channel 1 speaker OUT.

so if you get a stereo power amp, youll only be running half the amp - which is OK, just less power than running both channels. Or some SS power maps have bridge mode, so you can use both channels to power one output - you'll have to look into the that on a per amp basis.

Long story short, one cable from pod to power amp, one SPEAKER cable from power amp to cab.

If you were to get a stereo cab (or rewire yours with a second input jack), then run four cables total - two from pod to power amp (L and R), two from stereo power amp to stereo cabinet (L and R).