Need help selecting a good cab!!!

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by broj15, Nov 5, 2011.

1. broj15

broj15 SS.org Regular

Ok, so i am in the process go getting the money to ether to buy a new rig (read as better than my current.) I've pretty much decided on a used 5150 as being the most cost effective amp for the applications it will be used for (metal) but i am having some issues with selecting a cab.

I know i want to go with Orange as i feel that they make some of the better cabs around these days (i know there are cheaper options but i just prefer Orange over most brands) however i am not sure witch cab to get. I know i want a 4x12, however i am unsure of witch would be best to use with a seven string.

I know the ppc 412 c comes loaded with celestial v30's and it seems like everywhere i turn people say that v30's are part of the formula for a good brutal metal tone. However i also see that the ppc412 HP is another option. You see they are advertising the ppc412 hp as being specialized for guitars that are in a lower tuning. Now technically a 7 string guitar is not a detuned guitar (it's just a standard guitar with an extra low string) but does that mean that the ppc412 hp would be a better choice because it has more bass response?
    So i guess what i'm asking is witch cab would be better for my applications?

Should i stick with the v30's or should i try the other cab... I know everyone is going to tell me to a/b the cabs side by side but no music stores with 2 hours driving distance stock the ppc412 hp so thats kind of impossible.

2. warlock7strEMG

warlock7strEMG SS.org Regular

I like G12K-100's but I hear they don't sound the best in the Orange cabs for whatever reason. I will say that u cannot go wrong with the V30 loaded PPC412, they sound huge and also pretty tight!!!! Lots of midrange due to the V30's but the highs and spikey qualities of the V30's are tamed quite a bit due to the cabs construction, which also enhances the low mids for extra thickness. EVERY amp I have ever played thru that cab sounds killer!!!

3. broj15

broj15 SS.org Regular

thanks fro the advice man. it's much appreciated. Anyone else care to weigh in on the matter?

4. Floppystrings

Floppystrings No like the floppy

The best cab I have ever heard with the 5150 was an ENGL oversized.

I remember sitting in a room with four 7 string guitarists that all play 5150s and we were all talking about how awesome that ENGL cab that one of used to own was, and I think we all wanted to buy one. It basically beat the Mesa oversized and Vader cab we were also talking about, but then we all got sad because they are like $1100.

5. broj15

broj15 SS.org Regular

the orange cab is about that price but i was planning on looking for a used. i'll have to look into these swell. Thanks for making the decision harder:lol:

6. DMONSTER

DMONSTER SS.org Dweller

I just bought a used mesa boogie rectifier 4x12 cab, ive got a 5150 as well, and the tone is fucking brutal :metal:

7. broj15

broj15 SS.org Regular

yea i know white chapel uses mesa 2x12 cabs for recording so i though that may be a viable option but i've always been in love with orange cabs (once upon a time i plugged one in at a music store and got the best tone i had ever heard out of it.) But if the mesa sounds better then i'll probably get it. I'm sure there is a guitar center within my area that stocks mesa cabs.

8. raximkoron

raximkoron SS.org Regular

Seems as though a Mesa oversized, Engl, Orange and Genz-Benz G-Flex are all about the same price for their 4x12's (here in the US obviously).

The Engl is pretty nice, but it lacked warmth with my setup. Not sure if it was just that particular cab or not though.

Mesa's are great cabs, but I really do think they're too expensive for what you get. You can thrash the hell out of 'em though.

I honestly have no experience with Orange cabs. I've always been worried about having a 4x12 that lacks casters and that idea has kept me from looking into them.

I was personally blown away by the Genz-Benz G-Flex 4x12 I dinked around with. It was so far above and beyond what I was using before (wasn't very flattering as it was a B-52 AT-100 that I threw 2 Eminence Swamp Thangs in). It really opens up the bottom end and retains clarity and has a really smooth top end. I ended up snagging the 2x12 version as I found an amazing deal on eBay a while ago, but I still want a 4x12 some day.

9. broj15

broj15 SS.org Regular

i'll look into that as well. this weekend i have plans of driving to guitar center to try out some head/ cab combinations to see what grabs me the most. Thanks for the advice everyone (although more advice is always welcome :lol:)

10. Deliverowned

Deliverowned Tabernach

Fryettes cabs are also really awsome for 5150s imo. I sold V30s to get eminence speakers in my other cab to go with the 5150.