Need Help Purchasing an 8 String

Discussion in 'Extended Range Guitars' started by TheWill101, May 5, 2015.

1. TheWill101

TheWill101 SS.org Regular

Hello People

I’ll be purchasing an 8 string at some point this week, however, I would appreciate some input/advice as to the model etc since I have no one to ask :)

Willing to spend up to £1800 or about $2700.

Potentials include Ibanez RG2228m, Ibanez RG852LW-HAB or Jackson USA Select B8 Satin Black - any other suggestions? Is there much difference between the first two Ibanez models? Few hundred difference in price range

I’m a fan of the some sub-genres of metal such as “Djent” (forgive for using this term haha), progressive metal, experimental etc. I love classical as well and some jazz. Primarily influenced by Tosin Abasi, Misha Mansoor, Meshuggah, classical guitar, classical Spanish guitar.

Not sure what else to say, I use an Axe Fx 2 through KRK studio monitors.

Cheers in advance.

2. JaxoBuzzo

JaxoBuzzo ....ing river pirate

If I had $2700 to spend, I'd save up $300 More and get a Strandberg boden*. Or take advantage of Carvins recent development in abroad marketing and spec out an insane Vader V8. You can get a super loaded Carvin for that amount of money. I guess my advice all depends on if you're into headless guitars.

3. GuitarBizarre

GuitarBizarre Listen to physics.

My advice is that I simply don't trust any scale length sub 29.4" to retain tension suitable for that low F#. Look at the M80M. It's nearly half your budget, gets glowing reviews, and has the scale length to get the job done.

You sometimes don't need to spend the full amount of your budget to get what you need to do the job. Modding in a neck pickup will be easy and you'll still come out monetarily ahead.

I'd love to say that there are better options out there, but honestly, I think 8 strings are fundamentally hamstrung by the fact they're tuned so low on such a short scale length. You can at least minimise that as much as possible by going for the longer option, rather than sticking with 28" or even... *shudder* 27", just because it comes with some extra bells and whistles that won't make up for the fundamental compromise.

When it comes to 8 strings, scale length is without question the single most important thing. Much like you don't skimp on a PSU when you build a PC, lest it blow up in your face and take your other hardware with it, don't skimp on scale length, because no amount of extra gubbins otherwise will make up for it.

4. JaxoBuzzo

If you're going to get something with a scale length as long as mentioned above and have that kind of budget, I'd shoot for something Multiscale. If you're into Jazz, having a guitar that is just strictly 29" (or really anything over 27", for that matter) is going to make making some of those big jazz chords a bitch and quite frankly a little more painful than they have to be.

5. JaxoBuzzo

I just re-read your post. Jazz isn't your primary focus, my bad. I'd still go multi-scale.

6. TheWill101

TheWill101 SS.org Regular

Thanks for input guys. Difficult decision - Do I sacrifice neck length for the purposes of big jazz chords and lose tension OR chose longer neck and hinder ability to do jazz chords.

If I chose to go with a longer neck will playing fast sweeps and soloing etc be extra difficult? I’ve got large hands and fairly long fingers. I love the look of the Strandberg except I can’t get used to it being headless.

If the RG2228m is around $2500, surely it’s a very good guitar? I was pretty set on that guitar or the RG852LW however, having second thoughts now :/

7. mr coffee

mr coffee SS.org Regular

Large hands and long fingers is a plus when it comes to scale length. I'm comfortable on my 26.5" Schecter and had no problem with my 27" RG8, but much more than that would become a stretch for me. String gauge can compensate for scale length to some extent, although not completely, and I don't find it to be problematic as far as my own playing goes.

-m

8. GuitarBizarre

GuitarBizarre Listen to physics.

Honestly, when I played a Bass VI, I had very little trouble translating anything I would normally play. Below the 5th fret it was noticable I was stretching more, but not that much. I remember playing Guthrie Govan's waves intro, the main riff from Sea of Lies, and I think I tried a sloppy version of arpeggios from hell, all with little or no extra difficulty versus the same songs on 25.5".

9. seek and destroy

seek and destroy SS.org Regular

I am into all of the same types of music you are and was in a very similar situation, I bought an RG8 as my first 8 string while I waited for my Skervesen Shoggie DC.

I have very small hands so keep that in mind. I had a difficult time playing complex chords on the RG8 comfortably, my Skervesen is multi-scale (27/25.5) and is ergonomically FAR superior in every way so I can tell you that proper ergonomics make an astounding difference. Since I'm a smaller dude (5'5" 130 lbs) the difference is likely compounded so you can take all of this with a grain of salt if you wish.

I can tell you that the RG8 at 27" scale length came with a horribly floppy feeling 8th string (I tune Tosin style EBEADGBE) whereas my Skervesen (also 27) has impeccable string tension so I know it's possible to get a 27" scale feeling right and there are great improvements to be had. This makes a huge difference when doing double thumb techniques, anchoring for tapping/Rasgueado and barre chords.

Try to embrace a headless design, the benefits are incredible. Compared to the standard 25.5 guitars I've had all my life my Skervesen feels like the size of a baritone Uke and it's 27"! They typically seem to be more ergonomic body shapes as well which is wonderful, I can't imagine a guitar more comfortable to play than my Skervesen. The Strandbergs are also very nice to play but I am quite relieved that I made the right decision in the end. It was a bit out of my budget but the tears I wept for the extra gear I had to sell to make it happen have long since dried up. I'm a total picky guitar snob and buying a Skervesen was way out of my character, I would normally never buy a guitar I hadn't played and I really wanted a Boden 8 but I just trusted my gut and leapt from the cliff; best decision of my life!

[​IMG]

10. Alex Kenivel

Alex Kenivel Psycho, dont engage

^great story, but the pic (cherry on top) isn't working.

11. seek and destroy

seek and destroy SS.org Regular

Yeah, a girl (can you guys believe it???) invited me out for lunch so I had to learn how to take a shower real quick and couldn't fix the picture! She just left so I'll go ahead and see what I can do about that. :hbang:

12. Halikus

Halikus SS.org Regular

With that budget I'd be looking at a the classifieds for a used Skervy or something very similar. Just couldn't justify spending that kind of cash on something off the shelf.

13. UnstableinLINY

UnstableinLINY SS.org Regular

Ive got an agile 9 string and an ibby s8qm. Both are 27" scale. I have no problems with a drop E on the 8 string and im at the limit in drop A on the 9. Thicker strings compensated just fine. I have a .086 on the E and a .118 on the A and everything works just fine. The A is a monster though and at 27" it is pushing the limits before there are inharmonicity issues.

14. bzhan1

bzhan1 Banned

there's some sweet blackmachines and other customs that pop up on ebay for cheap

15. btbg

btbg SS.org Regular

Are you joking or completely high?:lol:

16. bzhan1

bzhan1 Banned

you wot mate?

17. Go To Bed Jessica

Go To Bed Jessica SS.org Regular

blackmachine + ebay + cheap = faaaaaaaaaaaake