Need help picking budget amp/multi fx

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by Kensei7, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Kensei7

Kensei7 SS.org Regular

I'm looking to finally get back into playing after a few years but I have no idea what amp to get. Ideally i'm looking to spend no more than $300. I had picked up a 7 string but returned it and will be getting a lower end-mid range Ibanez 6 string. I'm mostly into modern metal and J Rock. Looking for something with good cleans and distortion like Sithu Aye, Polyphia, Modern Day Babylon I'll mostly be playing in the bedroom and MAYBE jamming with someone else. I was thinking of going with the Boss Katana 50 but i'm not sure. People say its good but it seems sketchy for hi gain stuff. I see some say it can but with some tweaking and others say no. I was also looking at the Mooer GE200 with headphones for now and picking up a FRFR powered cab later. Here's an idea of the tones im looking for:

2. LiveOVErdrive

LiveOVErdrive CNC hack

Don't get a ge200. I tried one and returned it because of some wonky flubby bass that made most of the models I wanted to use basically unusable. Maybe it was just me but I did NOT like it.

The eleven rack is getting up in years but you can get one for less than 300 NEW nowadays. They sound great for headphones. Just add a little reverb. That's all I use to practice nowadays.

Drawbacks though would be that switching patches cuts the volume for a split second (so live it might not be great) and unlike most modern modelers you can't load custom IRs. The preloaded ones are fine though.

3. Xaios

Xaios Foolish Mortal Contributor

I'd say your best choice new on that budget is a Zoom G5n. It has a variety of models and effects that generally (but certainly not universally) sound pretty decent. I have one, and it serves me well. Is it going to approach an Axe-FX or a Helix? No, but at $300, let's hope you're managing your expectations.

(Caveat: I'm at work, so I couldn't listen to your samples. My recommendation is more of a general-use suggestion.)

4. Breeding The Spawn

Breeding The Spawn SS.org Regular

Definitely check out the Digitech GSP1101

5. makecamera

makecamera SS.org Regular

Pod HD500X (used) + headphones (Sennheiser HD280pro) then save up for an FRFR (I've seen the Headrush FRFR used for $199). Only thing it's lacking is user loadable IR. Amplifire-box is another option (used), but lacks a headphone out, doesn't act as an audio interface, and lacks foot switches.

6. Kensei7

Kensei7 SS.org Regular

I had a POD HD300 way back and I did not like it at all. It was so hard to program and I could never quite get the sound I wanted. Maybe it was me but is the HD500X a step up from the HD300? Ill def give the other suggestions as well but it looks like the Katana 50 is out as everyone has been recommending Multi FX lol

7. budda

budda Guiterrorizer Contributor

Buy the katana. If you dont like it, return for refund.

8. makecamera

makecamera SS.org Regular

Well the amp modeling is the same, but the 500 is much more flexible in terms of block placement, routing, etc.

You could always grab the Katana and then get a good used high gain pedal later (like the Revv G3/G4, BE-OD, tightmetal, etc.) If you don't like the built in high gain options.

9. ATRguitar91

ATRguitar91 SS.org Regular

If I was in your situation, I'd grab a Zoom G1on, an EHX Magnum 44/Quilter Microblock, and whatever cab you can find used locally.

The G1on will work for headphone only at first and is super cheap, sounds pretty good too.

With the pedal power amp you could later get a better preamp or multi effects to go with it, and you'd already have a cab for future upgrades. Should be enough to jam with a drummer if you want.

10. GunpointMetal

GunpointMetal SS.org Regular

*Puts Flame Suit On*
    The Spider V amps are actually really good for AIO digital amp/FX solutions, and sound and feel a lot different/better than previous generations. USB interface, DI output, built-in FX, affordable foot control, headphone output.

11. LiveOVErdrive

LiveOVErdrive CNC hack

Line 6 gets so much flak for their spider amps but they're always my first suggestion to someone who is just starting guitar. Yes, you can get a better sound with free vsts and a power amp and a cab for the same price, but many experienced guitarists forget that newbies don't know everything about gear already and the simplicity of just being able to plug into an amp and quickly get any basic guitar sound is pretty excellent.

12. Kensei7

Kensei7 SS.org Regular

I'm actually not a beginner. I haven't played consistently in maybe 2-3 years but def not just starting out. If money was no option id just probably just pick up an Axe FX but im poor :(

13. GunpointMetal

GunpointMetal SS.org Regular

I've been looking for 2x12 for amplifying my Helix after years of going FRFR on stage and dealing with (somehow, I don't know how at this point) soundguys who still don't "get it" as far as DI guitar, and I keep coming back to the Spider V 240 because the speakers in it actually work really well for reproducing the full Helix tone, and the built-in sounds would not be embarrassing at all to use live if my Helix takes a crap. Plus I can get the amp/cab/foot pedal for what I would pay for a name-brand 2x12. The V-series definitely upped the sound from the previous versions.

14. LiveOVErdrive

LiveOVErdrive CNC hack

Sorry I didn't mean to imply that you were. That was more of an aside.

Kensei7 likes this.
  15. mogar

mogar SS.org Regular

I went this route some years ago. I ended up getting a gsp1101 w/control 2 and a tech21 power engine 60. Got both for just over $400 then and is a super simple, affordable, and damn loud setup for the money. Sounds nice too.

16. devastone

devastone SS.org Regular

You got some smoking deals!

17. Shask

Shask SS.org Regular

The Katana is amazing for what it is, but I would definitely recommend the Katana head and cab. It sounds much better into a larger cab.

18. Shask

Shask SS.org Regular

Not a bad idea either. I have the G1on and B1on. They are great units for what they cost. They are typically what I use with headphones to screw around, and even easier to program since an editor came out last year.

19. mnemonic

mnemonic Custom User Title

I bought a G1on on a whim the other day, I figured it would be my late night headphones thing. It actually sounds pretty cool though headphones or monitors. Real noisy though. Like very noisy. Pretty easy to figure out how to edit, but even easier with the tonelib editor.

I didn’t like it as much with cab sims off, into a power amp and cab.

I also really like how you can power it so many different ways. Either with four AA’s, with a 9vdc wall wart, or with a usb cable. Great for reducing cables for just siting on the couch.

I’d say it’s cool for what it is, which is a very cheap modeler. If I were going to be playing out with other people, I’d also guess the katana would be better (I’d still like to try one).

20. Shask

Shask SS.org Regular

Yeah, I have had one for a few years, and I think it is great for what it is. The noise has always been my biggest complaint as well. You can tame it a bit by keeping the tube parameter low, and putting the ZNR after the amp with it set to guitar in. I never liked it as much into a cab either, but into headphones it is pretty cool. I have 3 or 4 pretty good presets I use on it.

I see you got a bass today also. I also have the B1on, which is cool for headphone practice with the bass. A lot of amp models gave me ideas on what sounds I liked (I bought an Ampeg combo because of the B1on), and enough nice compressors to keep it interesting.

I have considered buying a MS-50G or MS-70CDR also.

mnemonic likes this.