Need help on a 7 string 25.4" scale length!

Discussion in 'Beginners/FAQ' started by olliclark4, Jan 10, 2018.

1. olliclark4

olliclark4 SS.org Regular

So ive got a Mayones regius 7 on my way (possibly) and its a 25.4" scale length. Now i play in Drop G# (Eb Bb Gb Db Ab Eb Ab , from high to low) and sometimes double drop G# (same thing but the low Eb becomes a Db). My favourite band (Polaris) use this exact scale length on their Mayo 25.4" 7's but im wondering what string gauge ill need for this sort of tuning and this length. I currently have an Ormsby 7 which is multiscale and has a 27" on the low Ab, so im assuming my current strings (10-46, 62 or 64) wont gel too well with this shorter length? Any recommendations regarding new string guages would be welcome!!

2. Winspear

Winspear Tom Winspear Vendor

In theory you should bump it up on the low couple to compensate for the lack of fan, to gauges roughly around 49 68 for similar tension - but that will sound significantly rounder. I'd try your usual strings first, because the lighter you can handle, the brighter your tone will be. But that 68 would be minimum tension for me

3. lurè

lurè Can't buy skill so I buy gear

I would try at least an 11-52 set plus 70/72/74 for the low Ab