Need Help Finding Classical 7 String Sets

Discussion in 'Jazz, Acoustic, Classical & Fingerstyle' started by Andrenighthound, Nov 13, 2015.

1. Andrenighthound

Andrenighthound SS.org Regular

Hi everyone,

I just got the new Ibanez seven string classical guitar and it sounds great but its tuned to low B with a .054.. I would like to lower the B string to low A but the tension is too low with the stock 7 string.. Can anyone suggest strings sets for a 7 string classical acoustic guitar tuned to AEADGBE.. Looking for at least a .060 or above but I'm not familiar with classical strings at all! :wallbash:Thanks for any help!!

2. InfinityCollision

InfinityCollision SS.org Regular

Make a set out of singles from somewhere like Strings By Mail.

3. Andrenighthound

Thanks I wasn't finding what I needed on just strings but I found them on strings by mail. Thanks!

4. Andrenighthound

Using a .061 for low A Savarez strings works perfect. Balanced tension.

5. jack_cat

jack_cat SS.org Regular

I have a 7 string classical I played on stage for several years. (Now playing 8.) I have always used the same strings that I liked on a six, plus one more deep bass string bought separately from Strings by Mail. Since everybody tunes their 7th string differently, there's really no point in trying to find a packaged set of 7. Just use the set of six that you like and buy an extra string for the low whatever.

On my 7 I tuned the low to B1 with a .52mm string, scale length 65 centimeter, straight frets.
    For low A1 you could buy several in the range between about .56 and .62 mm and try them see what you like. .62 may well be too fat. These strings usually cost about 4 or 5 bucks USD each one. It's not too extravagant to buy some to test out. The thing to note is that the companies that have "ten string sets" with four fat low basses tuned D2 C2 B1 A1 - like Savarez, Aquila, La Bella (I think) don't all sell the same diameters for the same pitches. You can buy individual strings from these ten string sets from SBM. If you look around, you can with luck locate the string diameters. It is very helpful to have a micro-caliper to measure your strings. I have an electronic caliper from StewMac that cost about 50 bucks USD and works very well, although oddly it usually reads about .02mm fat of whatever the nominal diameter is in that range - a small calibration error that is a little annoying but livable.

I don't think you mentioned the string length, this is a critical piece of info although it probably is 65 c.

- jack