Need help asap. Lefty 9 string into righty

Discussion in 'Extended Range Guitars' started by sblackheart, Feb 12, 2017.

1. sblackheart

sblackheart SS.org Regular

I need your help really fast guys.

My friend is leaving country and he has to get rid of his Left Handed Schecter Hellraiser C9 guitar :D.
    And I was thinking of buying it from him because this piece of art is just too beautiful in my opinion. (don't judge me)...thing is I cannot use it, because I play right handed :D

How hard would it be to convert it into a right handed guitar? Aka, turning it upside down, rotating the pickups and so on..
    Do I need a new bridge? A new nut ? Or can I just rotate the nut..and then unscrew the pins from the bridge and switch them somehow.

And i suppose there should be some drilling involved too..since it's a string through body.

His plane will leave in about 8-9 hours so a fast answer would be highly appreciated.

Please do not tell me to buy the right handed version or any trolling of such. The nice thing is that he will give me a really good price for his guitar, and this is why i am considering this.

Thank you so much.

2. odibrom

odibrom .

Buy it for a good price, sell it so you get a little extra, get a right handed one. You can help your friend and eventually get some extra money to fund the RIGHT guitar for you. Anything you'll do to that guitar so it becomes usable to you will ruin its reselling potential.

3. Captain Butterscotch

Captain Butterscotch SS.org Regular

The work involved is not worth it.

4. zerofocus

zerofocus SS.org Regular

Could always take it and build a new body for it?

5. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

You don't have to rotate the pickups and stuff. But the nut and potentially bridge are going to be a pain in the ass to correct.

6. jjcor

jjcor SS.org Regular

The pickups are fine. But if it's a TOM bridge you will have to pull it and redrill it angled in the other direction in order for it to intonante correctly. Also you will need a new nut. But also take into consideration the knobs and how they will be in the way of your forearm when playing causing you to turn down unexpectedly. Also the cut away will be trouble as well considering it will be a pain to access upper frets. Also it will have neck dive. I'm just noting all this cause I'm an actual lefty that plays strung right handed. After years of all the problems I listed I finally just purchased left handed guitars and restrung them righty to avoid all those issues.

7. downburst82

downburst82 SS.org Regular

It wouldn't be worth it. I have a Schecter hellraiser 9 myself and looking at it you would have to totally replace the hipshot bridge (or at least the baseplate) and re-drill the string through holes/reposition the ferrules (no matter how good a job you do it will look like a mess). Also you would need a totally new nut. So again I don't think it would be worth it.

If you really want a 9 just keep your eyes peeled, I think because they are so niche alot of stores have trouble selling them. I scored mine on a boxing day clearance sale, brand new $499 Canadian ($380 American). *edit* just noticed your in Romania so availability and supply/demand might be different.

8. vildhjarta888

vildhjarta888 SS.org Regular

TBH I would just sell it and get an RG9 or the RG90BKP

9. oc616

oc616 Control Deck Wins

It's not trolling to give you the right answer, which is to sell it and get a right handed version. Miles too much work and very easy to botch.