Need desktop amp. THR100H/HD?

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by Legion, Jun 14, 2018.

1. Legion

Legion is a bloody army.

Some background:
    I own a Yamaha THR5 and I'm SO impressed with that little sh!t I cannot even put it into words.
    I've been looking for a desktop amplifier that I can plug right into my interface and record whenever I feel like it, and also be able to connect to a cabinet and gig when I need to. So it needs to be reasonably light, sound great, be loud AND quiet depending on the agenda for the day (recording/gigging), and be reasonably versatile.

So this leads me to the Yamaha THR100H/THR100HD. Seems to be the best option for me given what I need (and has impulse support AND the ability to go straight to front-of-house as really nice bonuses).

Are there any alternatives I should be looking at in the same 400-500 USD price range? Laney IRT? Or something else? For additional context I play kinda prog rock-ish music with a crunchy marshall vibe tone and I'm perfectly happy getting through a gig with a single channel amp and cleaning up with a volume knob.

Gimme your thoughts! thanks!

2. laxu

laxu SS.org Regular

I owned the THR100HD. I also have an Axe-Fx 2 and was hoping to replace it with the THR100HD due to it being a lot more straight forward to use. I mainly sold it because I did not feel like getting all the effects I would have needed. I thought it was a great sounding amp but not without its issues.

Soundwise, I think the THR100 was really good, I was happy with the sounds i was getting but I think it would work better with a guitar cab as I liked it more when I tried it thru the matching 2x12 cab. I used the one I had thru a pair of Genelec studio monitors using the built-in impulse responses. The quality of the ones included with the editing software is fantastic.

The issues I noticed:

• The amp was perhaps too dynamic. I felt that it did not have the kind of nice compression I get from most tube amps when playing with the clean or lightly overdriven sounds. The master volume could have been more effective in providing this.
    • Inability to adjust boost volume was annoying as turning it on meant either dealing with the higher volume or turning down the output. The booster models themselves are spot on as far as I can tell though.
    • Without the boost all amp models could use more gain. You could not get the clean channels to break up while even the highest gain channel benefited from turning the boost on. I am not a gain fiend by any measure but found myself running the gain always above halfway.
    • Reverb could use more controls as I had trouble finding a "just right" setting.
    • The "solid" option isn't very useful.
    • You need a mixer or audio interface if you want to hook it to studio monitors as each line out is for its own channel and you can only get a stereo out from the headphone jack.
    • No USB recording. It's really weird because it has a USB port and I can get an ASIO device to appear but no way to record through it.
    The amp came really close to being what I would want in a modeler but I wish it borrowed more from the THR5/10, having a couple of presets and more effects options and settings would help tremendously.

Legion and wakjob like this.
  3. wakjob

wakjob SS.org Regular

^
    Great report!

I myself have been tempted to step up from my THR10x,
    to the THR100. Mostly to do away with other redundant
    gear stuffs hanging around my cluttered apartment.

Yamaha should read your little mini review here and take notes.

4. Legion

Legion is a bloody army.

Thank you SO much for the detailed report. I think this amp is what I am looking for, based on your description.
    I just found a mint single channel version for 350, and I jumped on it. Expect an NAD and a detailed review soon!