Need advice !

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by Dahl, Oct 10, 2017.

1. Dahl

Dahl Dekhrom

Hi,

It's about my next 7 strings..

Normally, I can buy..

- An Ibanez UV777 BK in very good conditions.
    - An Ibanez RGAIX7U in very good conditions too.

I like both, first one is on of my "dream guitar", but the second one has all I need in a 7 strings.
    Same price, obviously..

I play brutal death/deathcore AND a lot of clean stuff too.

I am a bit "lost", because, in a perfect world..I would buy both :) BUT....I will have enough money for one.

2. Leviathus

Leviathus Psychotic Monster

I'll help....

BUY THE UV!!!!

Wolfhorsky, takotakumi and Ebony like this.
  3. dr_game0ver

dr_game0ver SS.org Regular

The UVs hold their value much better ans it's made in Japan. But the RGA , i'm sure, have a better sound.

4. Bloody_Inferno

Bloody_Inferno Silence is Violence

My first impulse is to go for the UV by a large margin. But I happened to like the new RGA Iron labels, which is a first for me because most of the IRs have been a misses with a rare hit or so. And specs wise, it seems more to your style, while the UV may need some modding. The UV will beat the RGA in playability though.

Is there any way you can try them both before buying?

5. Dahl

Dahl Dekhrom

Thanks for the answers, guys.

No way to try, both are about 600 kms (373 miles).

I tried a lot of Iron labels, the only one major issue I found was fretwork: "pretty" good, not flawless. Not a really upsetting thing, I can fix it.
    On the UV777, I'm not sure pickups fit my needs (Lundgren M7 addict here!) and I don't use tremolos (not a real issue, I had few guitars with tremolos, and I blocked all).

Finally, the RGA should fit better than the UV777...but, I don't know, there's something special with her !

6. WiseSplinter

WiseSplinter SS.org Regular

If you're going to be replacing the pickups, getting the RGA with the Aftermaths might not be good value? Not sure how much of the cost of said guitar goes towards the pups.

7. Dahl

Dahl Dekhrom

Sure.
    But I tried the Aftermaths on a 6 strings tuned in B (same woods combination) and I found their sound interesting. I already have a M7 neck in stock, and sell the Aftermaths can pay the price of a M7 bridge.

By the way, I took a look at others available models in the same price range (new, on sites like Thomann, Musik Produktiv...too much taxes if I buy in USA, unfortunately. A bit more, but I can wait, too) and I saw few "interesting models":

- Washburn Parallaxe PX-SOLAR17ETC (Evertune bridge sounds amazing, and I think it could be great with my Mesa JP-2C+Mesa 4x12 Rec. If this one was available in white..:wub:)

- Ibanez RGD2127FX-ISH Prestige (Comfy, scale...but I should swap pickups, I don't like Ibanez V87)

Or I can wait for 2018 models, too...

I thought to Kiesel, a white multiscale 7 strings Vader is great, but for a 1500€ order, it costs in the end 1900€ with all french taxes.:rant2:

Last edited: Oct 10, 2017
  8. Nicki

Nicki SS.org Regular

As stated by dr_game0ver, the UV will hold its value better than anything in this thread. It's a solid guitar and you can always replace the pickups if the ones in it aren't your thing.

That being said, I have an RGD2127Z and it's an incredible guitar. Super comfy carve on it and it just plays like a dream so the 2127FX would be a really good option for the style of music you play as well.

Between the two, I'd still go with the UV since they're not in production anymore and will become increasingly hard to find so if you have the option to buy one now, I'd pull the trigger. It would be a great addition to a collection.

9. Wolfhorsky

Wolfhorsky Regular idiot

UV all the way. That indo rga is not in the same league quality and sound wise. If You won't like UV's pickups, You can swap them. But You still will have a great axe. As far as the Iron Label series goes, it is pretty hit or miss.

10. couverdure

couverdure No Gear Day

I'd go with the Iron Label if I were you since it fits more to your style than the UV.
    Have you tried looking for a RGD7UC? They're similar to the 2127FX but with an ebony fretboard and Bare Knuckle Aftermaths. The 2017 ones have stainless steel frets, but you should find the older nickel-fretted ones in used conditions for cheaper prices.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2017