Need Advice on 7 String

Discussion in 'Beginners/FAQ' started by LAWDVishwajeet, May 8, 2017.

1. LAWDVishwajeet

LAWDVishwajeet SS.org Regular

Hi guys, I have been playing for about 17 months. Started on a ....ty acoustic and mainly learned rhythm on it, about 6 months in I got an Ibanez grg 140 and a Fender 1 v2 amp. My 1st teacher wasn't very good for teaching metal as he was a blues guy and i am mainly interested in it. I switched teachers about 2-3 months ago and my playing is much better now.
    We've mainly been doing string skipping and alternate picking exercises. To describe my skill level, the most difficult thing I can play is the intro to Technical Difficulties by racer x pretty cleanly. As for music theory, i know very little; just the order of the notes, how to find them and a few scales. I DO NOT know how to improvise yet and we're going to work on it soon.

The artists i listen to are; Dream Theater, Opeth, Yngwie Malmsteen, Marty Friedman, Insomnium, Omnium Gatherum, Dawn of Solace, Wintersun, Racer X, Vinnie Moore, Gary Moore, Jason Becker, Behemoth, Nargaroth, Gojira, Jeff Loomis, Conquering Dystopia.

I know i'll get a 7 string eventually as some of the artists I want to play use them and I really like how solos can be extended on it as my teacher showed me one day. The only question is would it be a good idea for me to get a 7 string in the next 1-2 months? (considering my level of skill and knowledge or lack thereof lol)

Thanks in advance :)

2. Anquished

Anquished hhnice!

I'd say do it. I got mine roughly after that long of playing a six string.

3. Jeffbro

Jeffbro Banned

I you have money for guitar lessons you have money for a cheap 7

4. LAWDVishwajeet

LAWDVishwajeet SS.org Regular

I do, looking at the Schecter Hellraiser C7 and others similar to it, if i do decide to go for a 7. And lessons are very cheap where i am from.